BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I spent a lovely two weeks touring Fl. Now my LT is coated with love bug remains. I can't seem to clean them off. Is there a secret?

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
budzee said:
My girlfriend and I spent a lovely two weeks touring Fl. Now my LT is coated with love bug remains. I can't seem to clean them off. Is there a secret?
I am not from Florida but (went there a coulpe times), IIRC; Dan will say drape a wet towel over the area, let it sit there and wipe them off. I would add a little soap to the water also.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Take an old towel, get it soaked in hot, steaming water, and lay it over the windshield and let it soak for a minute or two, bugs will generally come right off. When traveling, I ask for an old towel at the hotel front desk and most are happy to provide one rather than have me gunk up one of their nicer room towels.

Be sure to rinse the towel between uses to remove bug remains.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Take a look at some of these ideas. Basically you have to wash your vehicle within 48 hours of bug impact.

Instructions

Park your vehicle in a shaded area, as direct sunlight may cause the bug remover spray to dry too quickly.

Attach a garden hose to a water source, and turn on the water. Fill the bucket with water and soap, Spray the area covered with love bugs with water from the garden hose to wash off any loose bug innards.

Scrub the love bug-covered area with the soap-and-water mixture using a sponge to remove any love bugs loose enough to remove without a chemical. Rinse the affected area with water from the hose.

Spray the bug remover spray over the entire area covered in love bugs. Allow the bug remover to set for the time specified by its instructions, and scrub it with a sponge. Rinse the affected area with water and clean it using a sponge and a soap-and-water mixture. Rinse the area with water from the garden hose.

Repeat Step 4 until no love bugs remain on the vehicle. Remember, the longer the bugs stay on the vehicle the harder they are to remove, and the more damaging to your vehicle's paint.

Apply a generous coat of wax to the affected area to create a barrier preventing the acid from any new love bug impacts from reaching the vehicle's finish. This process varies greatly, depending on the type of wax used, so refer to the wax's instructions for specific direction.

Read more: How To Remove Love Bugs From Your Auto | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2113623_remove-love-bugs-auto.html#ixzz276mpHUSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1ifrrLuPs4Q#!

http://www.autogeek.net/remove-bugs-and-tar.html

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
That sounds like way too much work,

like others have said, wet towel .....lay it on the windshield and fairing nose,

wait ten minutes, wipe them off,

go out and collect some more. :bike:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cleaning it off the painted area's is important to clean ASAP! For some reason "Love Bug's" have acidic guts that will eat thru the clear coat and leave some nasty pits. Try everything that's been suggested and if they don't work use some "Bug & Tar Remover."

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
budzee said:
A few more suggestions:
1. Wash off with water ASAP and don't forget the radiator
2. Spray/wipe bugs with hydrogen peroxide and let sit for a minute. They will get foamy, then rinse/wipe right off.
3. Moisten a "Bounce" fabric softener sheet with water and wipe over bugs. They emulsify in a few seconds and wipe right off.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
Moisten a "Bounce" fabric softener sheet with water and wipe over bugs. They emulsify in a few seconds and wipe right off.
+2 on Bounce

+
+
=

Here is how Bounce works

·
Registered
76 Posts
I live in Florida and am very familiar with this problem. I always carry a spray bottle of Meguiar's Quik Detailer and some microfiber cloths in the luggage box. Detailer works great on the tupperware and, like others have said, a wet towel on the windscreen for 10 minutes will soak the bugs right off. Take a few minutes at your rest stops or destination and your bike will stay clean of these pests.

Look for Meguiar's products at your auto parts store. I'm not hyping the brand but have used their stuff for years on my bikes with good results

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wow. Bounce and spray bottle of water can turn a Chevy into a Mercedes Benz!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
dukey33 said:
Wow. Bounce and spray bottle of water can turn a Chevy into a Mercedes Benz!
I know, I found it hard to believe also :D

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Key to the love bugs is time. Wait too long and your paint is the pits....

Wet towel keeps moisture on them and after 10-15 minutes, if they are fresh, they will wipe right off.

During the season, I make sure that the exposed car/motorcycle parts, except for the windshield have several good coats of any wax and then I leave the last coat un-buffed. I've never tried hydrogen peroxide, but since it dissolves protein, it should dissolve the bugs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts