BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is a good place to see Manatees this time of year? I like the Salt Springs area. Would that be a good place?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Homosassa Springs State Park has an excellent setup with underwater viewing station and interpretive talk.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
The above are great places... You can dive with them at Crystal Springs. If you just want to see 75-100 from a viewing station and a great manatee exhibit, go to the power plant off of I-75 just south of Tampa, The Apollo Beach exit and go to the end of the road. Lots of reys too. Email me or call if you need more specific information.

[email protected] 813 267 8181.

By the way, this time of year is a little early as the Gulf just dropped to around 65. Might be different on the Atlantic coast. It needs to get a little cooler for the masses to arrive.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
All good suggestions,
but it's still a little early for them to be at the power plants and up in the rivers and springs,
the reason I say that is because our Gulf water temperature is still in the upper 60's,

I have personally seen 5 manatees in the Gulf and Tampa bay waters within the last week,
I believe they are slowly eating their way toward their winter "shelters",
judging from the direction they were all traveling,

Manatee's are never in much of a hurry,
they'll continue their travel as long as the water temp allows.

I frequently see manatees always as a delight for the passengers on my charter boat, here are some pictures,

the first one was a young calf he stayed around my boat for more than 30 minutes
approaching snorkelers one by one, they are very affectionate
(it is illegal to harass or pursue them, but legal to pet them if they approach you)

the other two were having a "make out session" right next to my anchored boat (awesome)
then one beached himself and allowed my first mate and a couple of tourist to "scratch his back"
then rolled over so they could rub his belly (incredible)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
DaveDragon said:
What Manatee?

OK, so now I understand why Hans likes being a Ships Captain soooo much! Hey, it's a tough job but someones got to do it!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts