BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have begun the weep hole process.

I was looking at breaking that 30 MM bolt on the right side (with Nm 200 of pressure!). It sure looks like a PITA to break loose.

I have a whole bunch of nifty tools that I got with my air compressor one of which is a 1/2 inch impact wrench. Can I use that to break that bolt? Will it have enough torque?

That bolt doesn't look all that deep, and I would hate to strip it......

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
They can sometimes be a real bear to break loose. Impact wrenches can be used to take them off, but never to put them back on.

We had one that we barely got off with a 4 foot piece of pipe on a 1/2" breaker bar. When it finally came loose it sounded like something broke!

One person had to borrow a 3/4" impact wrench to get his loose.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
dshealey said:
They can sometimes be a real bear to break loose. Impact wrenches can be used to take them off, but never to put them back on.

We had one that we barely got off with a 4 foot piece of pipe on a 1/2" breaker bar. When it finally came loose it sounded like something broke!

I used a 3/4" impact with 140 lbs of air. No joy. Finally had to drill holes across the nut and break it loose.
Also tried a 3/4" socket wrench w/4' cheater and my considerable 300+ wt.

dan martin

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have used a 4' cheater bar on the ones that I have done and they all popped loose with a loud bang.

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Round One:

Bolt - 1
Tom - 0

Man that thing is on tight. I did not really go to town today, but I will tomorrow.

I noticed the bike moves a lot when torquing on that thing. I am thinking of putting my jack under there, I can just see the thing poping off the center stand and crashing. :eek:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
We complain about BMW engineering short comings but when they designed the swing arm bolt attachment bolt they got it right. That thing will not loosen on it's own if properly torqued. I helped with one that came apart fairly easily the first time. Unfortunately we overlooked something and had to remove the bolt after we put it back together. It was properly torqued, no Loctite, no cross threading, and had been back together less than 20 minutes. That thing was there to stay. Impact wrench had no effect. We finally got it with the four foot pipe trick. If the last guy over torqued it you can see how fast you will be screwed.

·
Registered
989 Posts
+1 on 4-ft pipe. Worked for me. Strap the bike down.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
allright, i did get the bolt off.

Man, that was on there tight! Used the same 4 foot cheater bar.

Now I having another problem:

the drive shaft wont seperate from the transmission. I poped it off with a screw driver like it says, but I cannot move it further than about 3/4 of the way down the spline shaft.. The whole swing arm assembly will only move so far left before it sticks so I cannot get leverage on it at all.

Dang it I am close! How do I get that drive shaft full disengaged?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
never mind, got the leverage from underneath. :D

I finally got everything apart. No mess in the slave cylinder! :dance:

Stay tuned for more questions as I put her back together though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
dshealey said:

Just want to check. Will the cutaway socket Dave made be OK to try to break the bolt loose or should I get another socket to take it apart with and save the cutaway for assembly?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given the strength of the torque on that bolt I used a seperate impact socket on a 1/2 inch drive cheater bar with a four foot 3/4 inch pipe over the cheater bar.

If you have looked at the bolt it is not very deep - a good grip is essential for breaking the torque hold. I have the seperate socket (borrowed from someone on the board), but I would hate to torque it like that.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
dglenn1 said:
Just want to check. Will the cutaway socket Dave made be OK to try to break the bolt loose or should I get another socket to take it apart with and save the cutaway for assembly?
Use another one. Don't take a chance on ruining it.

dan

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
dglenn1 said:
I would not advise using the cutaway socket for one that is really tight. It will withstand the specified re-install torque with no problem, but they very often require much more than that to break loose, could break the weakened socket.

·
Registered
493 Posts
dshealey said:
I would not advise using the cutaway socket for one that is really tight. It will withstand the specified re-install torque with no problem, but they very often require much more than that to break loose, could break the weakened socket.
That's what I was concerned about reading all the stories of how tight that bolt is. I'll get another socket.
Thanks,

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, first question after the successful weep hole procedure:

I am reasembling the drive shaft. I put the moly 60 stuff on the splines, and I am ready to reinstall it.I notice that it goes on real easy, almost too easy. I notice it slides a bit back and forth.

Is it supposed to do that? I thought there were circlips in there holding it on? Did I break them? Or do something worse to to drive shaft?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
mowoc said:
So, first question after the successful weep hole procedure:

I am reasembling the drive shaft. I put the moly 60 stuff on the splines, and I am ready to reinstall it.I notice that it goes on real easy, almost too easy. I notice it slides a bit back and forth.

Is it supposed to do that? I thought there were circlips in there holding it on? Did I break them? Or do something worse to to drive shaft?
If you are talking about the transmission output shaft,you have to pound on the driveshaft with a wooden block to pop it on.

dan

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pound Hard? How hard? I had a wooden block and was poping it, but I was afraid to really hit hard. I don't want to break anything. :eek:

Will it pop on and make a noise when I finally get it to go?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I used a 2lb hammer on a wooden block. Swinging hammer 6 inches,not as hard as nail pounding though. You should hear the click.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts