BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a riding a new to me 2003 LT for a few months now and and I'm interested in the cut off on the side stand. Question: When you guys park your LT, do you let the engine cut off when you drop the side stand? Or do you hit your run/kill switch? Or do you put her in neutral and switch off the ignition? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I put mine in neutral turn the ignition off;stand thier in the straight postion or even slightly to the right for a few; so it does not smoke when you start it back up ;then put it on its side stand.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have never used the side stand cutoff switch. Here is how I put my 2002 in the garage, and most other parking places...

I look at the spot where I want to stop, use brakes as necessary to drop down to a slow speed, pull in the clutch and use the stop switch to stop the engine. I coast the last 10-15 feet.with the engine off, but I leave the radio on so I have good tunes to keep me entertained. The brake booster is also still active, thanks to using the stop switch, so all I need is light finger pressure on the front brake lever to slow even more and not overshoot my stopping point.

During the last foot or so from my spot, and moving really slowly, I ease out the clutch to bring the bike to a complete stop, and then as soon as it stops moving forward I re-apply finger pressure to the front brake lever so it won't roll any more. I am now solidly locked in place, with no slack in the driveline and ready to extend the sidestand.

Ah, but sometimes I misjudge my speed and distance, so I have to pull in clutch and paddle around a bit to adjust. Once I am satisfied I let the clutch out and roll it forward until the slack is again out of the driveline. OK, now I can extend the sidestand and ease the bike over until the stand touches.

I dismount holding the front brake lever on so I can't roll it forward and off of the side stand, and then switch off.

This all take a lot less time to do than to describe, and I think I look smooth doing it!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I rode over 120,000 miles on my LT, and always used the side stand switch to kill the engine. I used the kill switch a couple times, such as when I was sitting on the bike to talk to someone without putting the side stand down, but don't think I ever used the ignition switch to shut down the engine.

The only reason I have seen posted to support using the kill switch on the handle bar is that it is good to have that as second nature in case of an emergency to kill the engine fast without having to think about it. Good reason, but I rarely ever did it. Anyway, all three of my bad accidents killed the bikes, not just the engines. :(

·
Registered
847 Posts
dshealey said:
I rode over 120,000 miles on my LT, and always used the side stand switch to kill the engine. I used the kill switch a couple times, such as when I was sitting on the bike to talk to someone without putting the side stand down, but don't think I ever used the ignition switch to shut down the engine.

The only reason I have seen posted to support using the kill switch on the handle bar is that it is good to have that as second nature in case of an emergency to kill the engine fast without having to think about it. Good reason, but I rarely ever did it. Anyway, all three of my bad accidents killed the bikes, not just the engines. :(

Dave;now I am curious why you never use the ingnition swich to shut it off;maybe I should not be using mine ;something tells me thier is a reason for doing that way :)

Gary Emelander
2003 LT1200

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
dshealey said:
I rode over 120,000 miles on my LT, and always used the side stand switch to kill the engine. don't think I ever used the ignition switch to shut down the engine.

(
Exactly what I did/do for 60 K +. Same on the GTL. Roll a little forward to make sure the transmission is up against the stop in 1st and dismount. Hardly ever use the center stand except for maintenance. The ground is mostly level in Florida.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
I always use the side stand to shut the engine off for two reasons. First is to make sure I always have it in gear when I use the side stand (if it's in neutral the engine won't shut off) & second it keeps both hands on the handle bars.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I, too, always use the side stand to turn the big girl off. I always park her on the side stand first because, being vertically challenged and not having a power center stand, there's no way I can safely get off her otherwise. This ensures that I never forget to put the side stand down.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
GaryEm said:
Dave;now I am curious why you never use the ingnition swich to shut it off;maybe I should not be using mine ;something tells me thier is a reason for doing that way :)

Gary Emelander
2003 LT1200
No technical reason at all, it is just a lot more convenient to use the side stand, and as another said, it keeps both hands on the bars until you are ready to get off. I would turn the ignition off and remove the key after getting off the bike when I was ready to put the key away. Efficiency of motion more than anything else.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I've never used the side stand to shut off the engine.
I also never park in neutral.

I ride into the garage, stop, turn off the ignition, hold it to the right for the count to 20, put down the side stand, roll forward against the engine while still in 1st gear, ease it over on the side stand. I do that same sequence each time I park.

Each morning, it's mount the bike, get it upright, side stand up, key on, shift to neutral, start it up, engage reverse, back it out of the garage, disengage reverse, shift to first and off I go. Yeehaa!

If you have a routine, you won't get off and watch her lay down. LOL

Just my .02 cents on the subject. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
traderbob_nc said:
I've been a riding a new to me 2003 LT for a few months now and and I'm interested in the cut off on the side stand. Question: When you guys park your LT, do you let the engine cut off when you drop the side stand? Or do you hit your run/kill switch? Or do you put her in neutral and switch off the ignition? Inquiring minds want to know.
I use the ignition switch. This is the way that the engineers designed the bike to be shut down. I can't speak to the LT in particular and haven't studied the schematics, but many machines have specific shutdown sequence to control things like voltage spikes to the electronics, etc.

Using safety interlocks for other purposes means you are operating outside the design intent of the engineers. This may not cause an issue, but then again it may. It is your bike so you get to choose, but as an engineer I know that I often specify a certain sequence of operation for many good reasons that aren't always obvious to the casual observer. Operating the equipment differently may have unintended consequences, so I try to stay close to what the manufacturer recommends. When you see terminology such as "emergency kill switch" or "safety interlock" it generally means that these are not meant for routine operations.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I kill mine with the sidestand switch if I'm going to park it on the sidestand. That way it's always in gear as it should be unless it's on the centerstand............ :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
The handlebar mounted cut-off switch was a good idea when bikes had left side mounted ignition switches on the headlight, frame, or side cover.

With most factory bikes having an ignition switch mounted in the triple clamp this is a left over legal requirement that should only apply to bikes that have the switch elsewhere.

I use the ignition switch to shut down my bike. The side stand switch is a 'safety' switch to keep me from starting off on the bike with the side stand down. I've used it for that, occasionally. Fortunately I haven't forgotten to put the side stand Down. The emergency cut-off switch I leave alone for an emergency.

·
Registered
375 Posts
On a Gas station, first gear side stand out, release clutch. Same procedure on a parkin lot.
In the Garage, neutral, side stand out, ignition key off, get of the bike and put it on the main stand.
Is a 01 no hydraulic main stand.
Kill switch is used very seldom only if I lay her down :histerica .

Manfred

·
Super Moderator
1,410 Posts
I had a 2002 LT with hydraulic center stand
1. Gas stops and parking - side stand to kill the motor and leave it in first
2. Only time the bike is in neutral is when I lift it on the center stand

I now have a 2009 LT with hydraulic center stand
1. Gas stops and parking - side stand to kill the motor and leave it in first
2. If I use the power center stand into neutral first and after its up turn off the key

For some reason I just never use the kill switch!!

And not to hijack this thread . . .
1. The 2002 LT on side stand did not lean over enough :( :(
2. The 2009 LT on the side stand leans over way too much!! :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Several have said that they put the bike in neutral before raising it on the center stand. I never did my 02 LT that way. I don't do it that way on my GTL either.

I always stop the bike in first gear and lower the side stand to shut it off.

On the few occasions where I am going to put it up on the center stand, I squeeze in the clutch as I raised it up.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Centaurious said:
The handlebar mounted cut-off switch was a good idea when bikes had left side mounted ignition switches on the headlight, frame, or side cover.

With most factory bikes having an ignition switch mounted in the triple clamp this is a left over legal requirement that should only apply to bikes that have the switch elsewhere.

.............................. The emergency cut-off switch I leave alone for an emergency.
My belief is that it is prudent to use the Emergence Cut Off switch each and every time the engine is shut down. Even though your statement that most bikes have the ignition switch located on the triple tree that still requires taking one hand off the hand grip to "kill" the engine. The obvious advantage to using the Cut Off is that this can be accomplished without taking your hands off the grips therby maintaining full control while shutting down. As far as performing any function only when an emergency occurs, it ain't gona happen. That's like some of the older riders saying that "I never use the front brake unless it's an emergency". The whole concept of "muscle memory" dictates that in an emergency an individual will respond in a manner that is consistent with what is normally practiced. Just my 2 cents

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Electrically it does not matter which way you shut off the bike as the side stand goes thru the reverser contoller and opens the engine electronics relay.

The emergency cutoff switch operates the emergency relay which goes thru the reverser controller to cutoff the engine electronics relay.

The ignition switch just pulls power from everything which opens the engine electronics relay.

Choose your favorite method and be happy.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
My belief is that it is prudent to use the Emergence Cut Off switch each and every time the engine is shut down. Even though your statement that most bikes have the ignition switch located on the triple tree that still requires taking one hand off the hand grip to "kill" the engine. The obvious advantage to using the Cut Off is that this can be accomplished without taking your hands off the grips therby maintaining full control while shutting down. As far as performing any function only when an emergency occurs, it ain't gona happen. That's like some of the older riders saying that "I never use the front brake unless it's an emergency". The whole concept of "muscle memory" dictates that in an emergency an individual will respond in a manner that is consistent with what is normally practiced. Just my 2 cents
I've never seen a motorcycle where the front brake was designated by the manufacturer as an "emergency" brake.

Do you always stop your car with the emergency brake? :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Voyager said:
I've never seen a motorcycle where the front brake was designated by the manufacturer as an "emergency" brake.

Do you always stop your car with the emergency brake? :)
I think he was refering to the old adage "Never use the front brake or you will go over the handle bars". Just watch all the crusier videos on YouTube and how they only use the rear brake when they get in a panic situation and can't stop.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts