BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am looking to buy a LT and I have a question concerning a 2006 I am looking at. I got down on the floor and looked at the bottom of the engine around the area of the center stand. In that smooth area under the motor right behind the oil filter cover the bike has black oil film on it. I have read in this forum concerning a leak between the engine and transmission, but this are is in front of that. It is the smooth area that is about 4 or 5 inches long right behind the oil filter cover. It is a black color oil mixture. The bike has around 39K miles on it. Please let me know if this a issue I need to be concerned about. I don't want to buy a LT and have a big repair bill before I even get started riding it. I appreciate all the expert help from the experienced owners on this site.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Could be nothing but some residue. The best thing to do is (if possible) have the bike checked out by a dealer. At a minimum take the bike for a ride, and lug the engine slightly in 5th gear, and then pour on the throttle. any clutch slippage indicates that the clutch is fouled, and that could be the rear main seal. That equates to $2-3K in repairs at the dealer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Perhaps you could wipe it really clean and inspect it after a good aggressive ride to see if there is any seepage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts