BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This photo is of the Left side brake calibers, as you can see one of the pistons has a hole in it (the other side does not have this hole).

This does not seem to effect anything as the brakes were working fine.

Would this hole effect anything or should I continue to use the caliber as is?

Thank you.

This is off a 1999 K1200 LT. with 34K miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
While I am new to the BMW brakes, the Goldwing brakes pistons never made a hole like that. I found the brake rebuild kit and am attaching a pic. Something is eating the crap out of those piston faces. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I am new to the BMW brakes, the Goldwing brakes pistons never made a hole like that. I found the brake rebuild kit and am attaching a pic. Something is eating the crap out of those piston faces. Good luck!
Where did you find the rebuild kit, do you have the website?

It looks like the pistons are replaceable too ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Hello,

This photo is of the Left side brake calibers, as you can see one of the pistons has a hole in it (the other side does not have this hole).

This does not seem to effect anything as the brakes were working fine.

Would this hole effect anything or should I continue to use the caliber as is?

Thank you.

This is off a 1999 K1200 LT. with 34K miles.
The hole itself will not have any effect on breaking but I do see what Snape is talking about. I don't see a smooth route edge on those pistons protruding from the caliper. they look all chewed up in that picture.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Hey, come on, we are talking about brakes. Fix it. It's your life. The kit looks good, hope there is a come back. BMW sells this at a reasonable (yeah, I know) price:
0 34 11 2 331 631 SET: REPAIR SET BRAKE CALIPER (to 01/01) 0.37 2 $98.06ADD TO CART
this is pistons and seals.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since we are talking about brakes, I have some questions:

1- What is the difference between Sintered and Non-Sintered brake pads as it pertains to the K1200LT bike.?

What does Sintered mean?

2- What is the difference between Kevlar/Carbon pads and Metalic and Organic pads ?

There are many choices and I am curious to know what if any is the difference or is it simply Marketing gimmicks?

Thank you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since we are talking about brakes, I have some questions:

1- What is the difference between Sintered and Non-Sintered brake pads as it pertains to the K1200LT bike.?

What does Sintered mean?

2- What is the difference between Kevlar/Carbon pads and Metalic and Organic pads ?

There are many choices and I am curious to know what if any is the difference or is it simply Marketing gimmicks?

Thank you.

Can anyone answer? Anyone ??

Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Thank you so much, this is very helpful.

So now is the question: For the K1200LT shall I use the Kevlar/Carbon pads? Because I really don't want to replace the rotors if they wear out quickly because of the Sintered pads, as rotors are expensive.

Thanks.
Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe I remember someone stating the stock front pads on the LT are sintered. Not sure about the rear.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I believe you are looking at the face of the puck. The piston is located behind it. Looks to me like someone didn't know how to disassemble it properly and tore it up in the process.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe you are looking at the face of the puck. The piston is located behind it. Looks to me like someone didn't know how to disassemble it properly and tore it up in the process.
I assume you are talking about the photo of the Caliber?

What do you mean by face of the puck ?

How would one tear this up? There is not much to it....just take it off the bike and remove the brake pads. You would have to do a lot of digging to make that hole.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
Unless you are the original owner, I suspect someone tried to push the pistons back into the caliper and really messed it up.

BTW I am still on my original front pads at 98K and rotors are fine.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I assume you are talking about the photo of the Caliber?

What do you mean by face of the puck ?

How would one tear this up? There is not much to it....just take it off the bike and remove the brake pads. You would have to do a lot of digging to make that hole.
If I go look at the MAX BMW fiche, it looks like the pistons are manufactured with a metal piston and possibly a phenolic insert (puck). The puck is likely hollow leading to the hole in yours from inappropriate attempts to disassemble. The puck may be an attempt to provide some additional heat insulation between the pads and the pistons to keep from boiling the fluid in extreme usage. It is this puck that looks like it is damaged although since it still has a flat surface even with the hole, it should not cause any issue as long as it isn't leaking. Although this is a picture of the rear, I would suspect the front would be the same construction.

Buy a set of pads and use them either carbon or sintered copper. Replace the rotors when you need to. This isn't a spark plug, it is something to save your life and needs to work well when you need it most.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts