BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the sliders to replace the seals and dust boots. After removing all the components inside the sliders, I cleaned them inside and out. Looking down into the sliders to see how clean they were, I noticed the left slider had a bushing about 16 inches down from the top. The plastic tubes sit on top of this bushing. Running the slider up the fork tube, I could feel the tube contact the bushing and then go through it with a little maneuvering. The right slider had no bushing, but it did have a slight ridge about 16 1/2 inches down from the top on which the plastic tubes sit. Is this normal, the left slider has a lower bushing, but the right one does not. I tried to take pics, but the polished inside of the sliders killed that idea. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
While the manual does not address this "bush" there should be one in each fork tube. I had mine apart a while back and decided to replace them as they were not expensive but I measured no wear on the old compared to the new. They should sit on top of the several plastic tube spacers and are a sliding fit in the fork body. I'll see if I can find my write up on when I had mine apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,
I'm fine with the upper bushings. I have one of those in each slider and took them out along with the plastic tubes. My situation is that the left slider has what appears to be another bushing about 16" down from the top of the slider. The plastic tubes sit on top of this bushing. The right slider does not have this lower bushing, but it does have a slight ridge inside the slider about 16 1/2" down from the top that the plastic tubes sit on. I assume the left slider also has this ridge and that is what the lower bushing sits on. The result is that the top of the plastic tubes in the left slider leaves just enough room to fit the upper bushing, while the top of the plastic tubes in the right slider is about 1/2" lower than in the left tube. I wonder if the lower bushing just was left out of the right slider at the factory. What worries me is that having only the upper bushing in the right slider would seem to let the fork tube wobble to some degree, whereas having a lower bushing, like the left slider, would prevent this wobbling.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
I can't remember if there was one lower down, but I do seem to remember rigging something up to pull it up so there must have been one there. I'll have to check and see if I ordered 2 or 4 when I did my forks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve decided there are two bushings in each slider to guide the fork tube, an upper and a lower bushing. My right slider did not have the lower bushing. I’ll take one of the upper bushings I removed and drive it down in the slider with a length of PVC pipe until it comes to the slight ridge inside the slider about 16 1/2 inches down from the top. That should fix me up. Then I can proceed with replacing the upper bushings, seals, and boots.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
Sorry I never got back to you but I could not find my post or order from Max BMW. But I do seem to remember there were 4.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything went back together just fine, John, so all is good. Thanks for all the advice you give to us every day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts