BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about the Canbus system, except what I have read here. I purchased a new 2009 K1200LT in June of 2009 and thought that it had the Canbus system on it. I was told by my dealership tech today that the 2009 LT does not have the canbus. He looked it up in their computer and then verified this with their tech. The reason this came up was I wanted a battery tender, and, at the BMW shop, they had one that you simply plugged into the accessory jack and plug it in to the wall. It was only $69.95. It said on the package that from 2005 forward, you had to take the battery out of the bike to charge it. The tech at the dealership (I think this dealership is fairly well respected and is located in Greenville, SC) said that this unit would work fine, since my 2009 LT does not have the canbus on it. I bought it, plugged it up and it seems to be charging OK. Does the 2009 LT not have the Canbus? From what I have read, I am probably glad if it doesnt......

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
It does NOT.
Your charger will work fine. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
For those who would like to know more about CAN-bus

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
The only charging consideration for your bike is the gel battery. It requires a charger specifically designed for this type of battery.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I tried canbus when I was young but I grew out of it. I've heard that the last few presidents have too. I just don't know why they just don't legalize it. It seems most have tried it at one time or another. So why not put it out there and let the people decide wether or not to use it? Heck with BMW putting it on their bikes it should be legal. I didn't even realize I had it on mine. I better find it and get rid of it before my neighbor finds out about it. He's a cop. I hope he doesn't bring home one of those dogs. I'm glad to know that BMW isn't putting canbus on their bikes anymore. If I don't find it soon I might have to upgrade to avoid problems with my neighbor. Maybe that new six cylinder will be out before my neighbor figures out I have it on my bike and huals me downtown. What Hun? You say Controller–area network (CAN or CAN-bus) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle without a host computer. Oh that's very different. Never mind.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Raymarks said:
I tried canbus when I was young but I grew out of it. I've heard that the last few presidents have too. I just don't know why they just don't legalize it. It seems most have tried it at one time or another. So why not put it out there and let the people decide wether or not to use it? Heck with BMW putting it on their bikes it should be legal. I didn't even realize I had it on mine. I better find it and get rid of it before my neighbor finds out about it. He's a cop. I hope he doesn't bring home one of those dogs. I'm glad to know that BMW isn't putting canbus on their bikes anymore. If I don't find it soon I might have to upgrade to avoid problems with my neighbor. Maybe that new six cylinder will be out before my neighbor figures out I have it on my bike and huals me downtown. What Hun? You say Controller–area network (CAN or CAN-bus) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle without a host computer. Oh that's very different. Never mind.
:histerica
:rotf:
Thanks, I needed that. Do you do standup, too?

Have fun,
Jer

·
Registered
656 Posts
It doesn't and the Battery tender will work just fine on your 09

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Raymarks said:
Thank you Rosana Dana...!!! :histerica

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the replies. I have hooked up the battery tender and I love just being able to plug it into an accessory outlet. Works Great!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
jers99lt... I only wish I could do standup. zippy_gg... Actually I believe the name is Roseanne Roseanna Dana but the one you're refering to is Emily Litella. I guess I stopped before those brain cells were toasted. Damn I miss Gilda.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts