BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2009 LT that included some extra keys. None of the keys have a rubber head like the one below. I cannot find rubber heads on eBay. Do dealers sell them?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link.

A dealer I called said they (BMW) don't sell key heads. I received 6 spare keys with my bike. None have heads. Strange.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Geoff said:
Thanks for the link.

A dealer I called said they (BMW) don't sell key heads. I received 6 spare keys with my bike. None have heads. Strange.
Your dealer may have an alternative to the rubber-headed key head. Mine did, It's a split head with a BMW logo; fits over the key head and attaches with a tiny threaded screw to fit both halves together to surround the key head. Has a push button that enegizes a pill battery and shines a tiny light along the key shaft. :) Many years ago, so can't vouch if they're still available.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Put the key in your wallet.

Hide another one in your bike.

Bob

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I use one of THESE. It makes the key a bit chunkier in my pocket = easier to find.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am not aware of the "rubber heads" being sold loose. There are two different types of keys available for the motorcycles, one with the moulded head, the other just flat. I also have a number of flat keys, but the only way to get the head moulded is to buy a moulded blank and have it cut. Key blanks with the moulded head are available from the dealers for about $15. Part number 51252347564. You'll also find several suppliers of moulded blanks in eBay under Motorcycle Parts. Any locksmith or key-cutting store can cut the blanks, although some forum members have experienced problems. If you buy the BMW OE blanks, point out to whoever does the cutting that the blank costs $15. That will prompt them to take care.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Check Bob's BMW. They will also cut keys. They have the blanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought two key blanks with the rubber heads from Amazon.com. I don't remember who the actual vendor was. I just searched amazon. It was about $5 for both.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I think if you go on ebay, and look for items for R 1100 GS's, you will find rubber headed keys for BMW's. While I have not actually compared the key blanks, I am sure it is the exact same key blank that the LT uses.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As stated in my original post, I am looking for rubber heads, not key blanks.

My bike came with 6 wallet keys and I want to add heads to them. Nobody sells key heads, according to a dealer I called. The knurled knob pictured above is the closest solution.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Geoff said:
As stated in my original post, I am looking for rubber heads, not key blanks.

My bike came with 6 wallet keys and I want to add heads to them. Nobody sells key heads, according to a dealer I called. The knurled knob pictured above is the closest solution.

OH, you wanted just the rubber head. NOW I get it.

NO you will NOT find just the heads, they are built into the key assembly itself.

you can get the key holder in the US

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43433

1 - 16 of 16 Posts