BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying an '02 LT with BMW GPS and have some questions.

1) What hoops do I need to jump through to update the maps? Do I need to buy it from BMW or can I get it from Garmin.

2) I have a Garmin 2610 I would prefer to use since I'm used to it. Will it install with the same installation setup the bike currently has or do I need to rewire?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
A pic of the BMW-badged unit would be very helpful. That '02 can have a couple different units. Probably either the Navigator I, or Nav II, which are basically either a Garmin SPIII, or 2610.

Perhaps you can answer this. Is it the same form-factor as your 2610?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a SPIII!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Well...hopefully I can give you some information that'll head you in the right direction. And perhaps, someone else will chime in soon to fill in the gaps.

First of all, I wouldn't even consider using the SPIII (BMW's Nav I). Not that it's a bad unit ... but you being used to a 2610, the SPIII is going to be slow and feature-poor. Having said that, you'll need to mount and power your 2610 to the LT. The mounting part is going to depend on what type of mount is currently being utilized with that SPIII. I know for a fact that the cradles are different. But you still may be able to use the rest of the mounting system.

The bad news is that the power cable is different as well. The SPIII uses a round (4 pin?) plug which is way different than your 2610. I think you can buy an adapter though. Perhaps you should give Sean a call at CycleGadgets.com. Or you could post a 'Want To Buy' ad here in our Classifieds sub-forum.

When possible, take some pics and attach them to a post. We can nail down the hard-facts from there. Feel free to send me a PM if you think I can assist any further. I'll do what I can.

HTH...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Updating maps is easy, it's a phone call to your friendly Garmin tech support, say what model of GPS you have (Navigator I, II or III) and they will send you a CD with latest maps. When you install it - you will have to pay $75 for activation.
The whole process is quite simple and if for any reason you get stuck on something - a phone call to your friendly Garmin tech support will resolve it.

As to 2610 model, I'm not sure if the process is the same - it may even be easier, you may be able to download it from the Internet. If you however have the original Navigator mount with buttons, these buttons will not work. They are enabled specifically for BMW Navigator models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts