BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a reservoir under the rider seat on the left side, close to the steering damper. I cannot figure out what it is for, contains a blue fluid that looks a lot like windshield washer fluid. There is a picture of it in the online manual, but no reference to it at all. What is it for, and what fluid should be in it?

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
The one with the twist knob on it is for the rear shock.
The one with the rubber cap (white tank with blue fluid) is the coolant reserve tank.

Ken

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one with the twist knob on it is for the rear shock.
The one with the rubber cap (white tank with blue fluid) is the coolant reserve tank.

Ken
I thought it must be coolant tank, but the blue fluid put me off, never seen blue antifreeze. My VW Jetta TDI use orange fluid, and my other car uses the old green stuff. I had the BMW dealer in Charlotte replace all the fluids in the bike when they fixed my alarm issue, the bike sat in the garage for 3 years. Hopefully they did not use windshield wiper fluid..;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Been there..

Bought a passat a while ago that someone mixed green stuff with the OEM G12/G13 pink (orange) stuff. They don't like each other... Took a bit of doing to get gunk that flushed.

I tend to use OEM coolant in foreign vehicles. Better safe...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Bluecol Antifreeze, available in the UK maybe someone got some sent over???

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bluecol Antifreeze, available in the UK maybe someone got some sent over???
The OEM BMW coolant we get here in the states is blue.
Just bought a gallon ($28, ouch!).

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Someone may have mixed green and yellow together which made the blue stuff. They are compatible (I think). Red and orange are ok together as well(I think). Other mixtures will result in Jello. No kidding. It really will. Do not try it in your motor.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The old green is not available anymore, but the yellow looks very greenish to me. All the newer car and bike motors are very similar in material and construction, the new antifreezes have been designed for them.

I popped the bottom hose off the pump, drained the blue and put in the yellow four years ago, no problems.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The piece in your picture that folds up controls the pre-load on the rear shock. If you can screw it clockwise without hardly any force, the fluid has leaked away due to usage and time, and the rear shock is limping by.

You can remove the top piece by removing the screw and top off the fluid and bring your shock back up to par. I've only had one cup of coffee this morning and can't remember what fluid you put in there or how much. But... if you search for something like 'rear shock pre-load adjuster' you probably will find the threads on just why, how and how much to do the job. My '99 really needed it when I got it about 4 years ago, and I just checked it this morning during a complete fluids check. The Old Gray Ghost is going to a new home this Saturday as my son from Athens, GA is coming down to pick it up. So it has to be as good as she can be for him.

Good luck in your work on your bike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The OEM BMW coolant we get here in the states is blue.
Just bought a gallon ($28, ouch!).

Ken
Must be it then, I know the BMW dealer charged me a pretty penny for all the fluids replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts