BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quarter Mile Time

Bad day here in Las Vegas; it only got up to 72 degrees--damn!
Anyway, my trusty, old 1980 RT was as faithful, and loyal as you could ask for; however, it was extremely underpowered. My 2010 RT feels like a rocket in comparison, and not only seat of the pants quick--it is quick! Question: has anybody seen official 1/4 mile times for the new RT? I know it's not built to be a dragster but I have a feeling it's an "11 second bike." Anybody know for sure?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
11" may be optimistic given the s1000RR hits 10"-flat at 150 mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhtSLRVEnwM

I'd say the run should be in the high 12s at around 105-108-ish...

As soon as the snow melts, I'll give it a go!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mick-F said:
Dave,

I found this info on the RT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_R1200RT

72 degrees?? How can you stand it. Why don't you just move to DEATH VALLEY!!!

8 degrees here this morning.

MF
My friend and me a (former!) fellow New Englander------Thanks for the link. Death Valley is actually not bad if you cross (in summer time) before 0700. It only got up to 105 f before I got into the California side mountains.
I do have memories of chipping ice off of windshields for my dad, the Merrimac choked with ice, et, etc. Like my dear old 86 year old mum sez, "I love the change of seasons."
Damn, again!!
Thanks, Mick, be safe out there and watch out for icy roads----ha ha!
I don't know how, nor do I want to ride my RT down a drag strip (or the Pines Speedway like I did my old Matchless)--clutches cost too much! I think we have what would have qualified as a stone hot rod not too long ago----I'd like to see some times.
Ride safe!
Dave

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lawrence_D said:

Go for it!! I myself would make a bad dragster rider---never did it (for record) before. I was always an "erzatz road racer," hence, the loss of both of my beautiful BSA's. How much punishment can that single plate dry clutch take? I'd sure like to know what is actually "official."
Be safe out there if you run it!! Send me a PM if you require a pit crew guy--I'll be there!
Dave

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Lawrence_D said:

I've heard very high 8's with very little work. 9's should be easy.

As far as the RT, low 12s at 110 I would think.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Quarter mile times for RTs????? It must be the depths of winter. :D

On the other hand, I also just gave my .02$ worth on center stand hoisting technique. I repeat.............it must be the depths of winter. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Quarter Mile Time

heavynikonf3 said:
Bad day here in Las Vegas; it only got up to 72 degrees--damn!
Anyway, my trusty, old 1980 RT was as faithful, and loyal as you could ask for; however, it was extremely underpowered. My 2010 RT feels like a rocket in comparison, and not only seat of the pants quick--it is quick! Question: has anybody seen official 1/4 mile times for the new RT? I know it's not built to be a dragster but I have a feeling it's an "11 second bike." Anybody know for sure?
Thanks,
Dave

According to a motorcycle guide published here the RT does a 12.6 at 178 km/h (110mph)
This is of course done by a pro. Let's say that its fast enough to get in trouble quickly.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for your responses. Correct---fast enough! I rode the new RR 1000 during a demo day/open house, here in town, back in the spring. I knew it was "hot" so as I left the parking lot, turning right, I was careful with that right grip. Geez!! As I was turning the front end came up about thigh high from just a touch of throttle!! I made a cautious "U" turn back into the parking lot and gave them back their bike. Too much for me. I can't imagine what a WFO run would feel like---I'll leave that to the pro's. Yep, RT is fast enough for me too.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
heavynikonf3 said:
Thanks to all for your responses. Correct---fast enough! I rode the new RR 1000 during a demo day/open house, here in town, back in the spring. I knew it was "hot" so as I left the parking lot, turning right, I was careful with that right grip. Geez!! As I was turning the front end came up about thigh high from just a touch of throttle!! I made a cautious "U" turn back into the parking lot and gave them back their bike. Too much for me. I can't imagine what a WFO run would feel like---I'll leave that to the pro's. Yep, RT is fast enough for me too.
I'd like to try it, if I could fold up enough. I'd probably keep the front down a bit more. :bmw:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The next open house/dealer demo day in your area, give it a shot. It is astonishing the power that thing makes. Bring a change of clothes!

·
Registered
311 Posts
heavynikonf3 said:
If this is true, somebody turned off the DTS. That bike is so full of electronic aids that it is a lot safer for an inexperienced rider than anything else comparable on the road. The instant the front wheel thinks about leaving the ground, the throttle is gently reduced. It doesn't slam it off.

I rode one on a track and was able to wind it out pretty well. I left it in the rain mode which is the most nanny-ish mode. Throttle response was obviously affected. The DTS kept me under solid control when leaning into a corner (yes, I hit the lean angle sensor). It was amazingly fast but certainly not uncontrollable. I would love to try it again in the other modes but probably would forgo the "slick" mode.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Speaking of power on the latest RT...

My '10 RT impressed all the local HD riders when I easily lifted the front wheel and rode a wheelie past their Dunkin Donuts hang out. It's usually something I reserve for my Buell but DANG if it isn't super easy to ride a wheelie with. I know its probably BMW sacrilege to ride a wheelie on the RT. That surge of torque may not be great for drive train but its FUN.

Tom-20F-and snow knee deep snow in the yard and more to come tomorrow.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bob,

Great website, thanks.

Mick

·
Registered
36 Posts
ducatirdr said:
Speaking of power on the latest RT...

My '10 RT impressed all the local HD riders when I easily lifted the front wheel and rode a wheelie past their Dunkin Donuts hang out. It's usually something I reserve for my Buell but DANG if it isn't super easy to ride a wheelie with. I know its probably BMW sacrilege to ride a wheelie on the RT. That surge of torque may not be great for drive train but its FUN.

Tom-20F-and snow knee deep snow in the yard and more to come tomorrow.

Talk about RT drivetrain abuse;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKIcKnGKEtw

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts