BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quickest way to get one.

Had one break. What a mess that made, started smelling gas when riding. Was behind an old POS van for a few miles, thought it was him.

No, not an o-ring, the male piece just snapped off.

Not stuck, made it home but want to ride it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
A piece of stainless steel tubing and 2 clamps until you can get one in the mail? Sure would get you back on the road in quick order but would necessitate 2 removals of the tupperware.

Loren

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I did what Loren suggests on my RT and left it like that, never had another leak.

I understand that Beemer Bone Yard has the metal QDs. They ship fast and are a sponsor of this site.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Why not use the tube and clamp repair, order the other parts, then wait until the next time you have to take the tupperware off anyway for maintenance or other repair, and then install the new QD then.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Duh! The most obvious solution! You know you're going to have take off the tupperware sooner or later!

Loren

rmcclure said:
Why not use the tube and clamp repair, order the other parts, then wait until the next time you have to take the tupperware off anyway for maintenance or other repair, and then install the new QD then.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Go to your local hardware store and purchase 2ea 5/16 double brass barb fittings and 4 hose clamps to fit...preferably fuel injection clamps ( made for high pressure).

Fitting similar to this:

http://fittingsitop.co.cc/interstate-pneumatics-fbs55-5-16-inch-brass-hose-barb-splicer

That will get you back on the road and you don't even need to change that out until your next service.

I think I spent about $6 on the fix and replaced both of them.

Ron

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
+1 for the immediate fix. I did this when I developed a leak on the plastic QD's I had installed way back when. Then ordered the metal QD's for the next time I needed to remove the tank. Meanwhile. I carry the two barbed brass barbs in my tool kit for any future emergency!

John
kellenbenz said:
Go to your local hardware store and purchase 2ea 5/16 double brass barb fittings and 4 hose clamps to fit...preferably fuel injection clamps ( made for high pressure).

Fitting similar to this:

http://fittingsitop.co.cc/interstate-pneumatics-fbs55-5-16-inch-brass-hose-barb-splicer

That will get you back on the road and you don't even need to change that out until your next service.

I think I spent about $6 on the fix and replaced both of them.

Ron

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Oh yeah! Home now resting up for a night ride in the rain! Hoping for the rain to stop sometime in August but probably won't stop until September the way it is going!

Loren

fpmlt said:
Long nite Loren?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Snowed here yesterday, but after seeing what those poor folks in the south, and Texas, are dealing with, I quit complaining.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts