BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been crawling under the Bike cleaning off some of the Road Crap when I noticed that there are what appears to be "two" sealing washers under the Drain Plug of the Rear Drive. The "Inner" of these washers (the one next to the Drive Casing) seems to be "torn". The Bike has done 7400 miles and is a 2004 so the Drive Oil should have been changed at the last Annual Service or at the 6000 mile Service I had done a few weeks ago. I,m scared to attempt to remove the Plug in case the Casing Threads have been damaged and then it will become my problem. The Bike is under Warranty. Any Advice appreciated
Thanks
Mike Tee

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
glo said:
Just been crawling under the Bike cleaning off some of the Road Crap when I noticed that there are what appears to be "two" sealing washers under the Drain Plug of the Rear Drive. The "Inner" of these washers (the one next to the Drive Casing) seems to be "torn". The Bike has done 7400 miles and is a 2004 so the Drive Oil should have been changed at the last Annual Service or at the 6000 mile Service I had done a few weeks ago. I,m scared to attempt to remove the Plug in case the Casing Threads have been damaged and then it will become my problem. The Bike is under Warranty. Any Advice appreciated
Thanks
Mike Tee
Mike,
if I read your post correctly the work was done at a dealer and the bike is under warranty. I would take the bike back to the dealer and show / explain them your concern. If they say nothing is wrong, get this in writing stating your concerns and their reply as future CYA.

Roy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Puzzled

Thanks for the advice Big Bear, Just back from the Dealers where the Workshop Foreman agreed that there where two sealing washers on the Drain Plug. The Original which had split, had been left on and the New One fitted on top. Not good, but at least it didn,t leak. Plug removed, Oil Drained (again!) and a new Washer and Drain Plug refitted with Fresh Oil. Fifteen minutes the lot.
Regards. Mike Tee

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Where are you?

glo said:
Thanks for the advice Big Bear, Just back from the Dealers where the Workshop Foreman agreed that there where two sealing washers on the Drain Plug. The Original which had split, had been left on and the New One fitted on top. Not good, but at least it didn,t leak. Plug removed, Oil Drained (again!) and a new Washer and Drain Plug refitted with Fresh Oil. Fifteen minutes the lot.
Regards. Mike Tee

Which dealer to receive Kudos?

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Kudos to the Dealer

Hey, at least they stood behind their workmanship (?) and made good on their screw-up.

Mistakes happen. Give the dealer some credit for owning up to their error.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Nebish said:
Hey, at least they stood behind their workmanship (?) and made good on their screw-up.

Mistakes happen. Give the dealer some credit for owning up to their error.
I hear you, but this one is not a hugely complex mechanical matter. It was carelessness and simply not paying attention. What next? Oops, we left the rubber ring on the old oil filter up on the engine when we installed the new?

If something this simple was overlooked, what happens during a clutch/seal job?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
809 Posts
bigbear said:
Mike,
if I read your post correctly the work was done at a dealer and the bike is under warranty. I would take the bike back to the dealer and show / explain them your concern. If they say nothing is wrong, get this in writing stating your concerns and their reply as future CYA.

Roy
C - Y - A - confirm your assumptions!

·
Registered
718 Posts
grifscoots said:
If something this simple was overlooked, what happens during a clutch/seal job?
That's why you should do your own maintenance... if it gets screwed up, you'll know who done it... and if it costs you a lot of money to fix your screw up, you darn sure won't make that mistake again (you always pay for your education) :)

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
grifscoots said:
How can you kudo someone who screwed up a real simple thang in the first place?
Grif,
ya got me. u r correctamundo

·
Registered
216 Posts
What next? Oops, we left the rubber ring on the old oil filter up on the engine when we installed the new?

Grif,
I tried that one last week, can't get the filter on with 2 gaskets. I tried for a while... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey dude, wanna try a fluid change?

Changing fluids are the gateway tasks to taking on more serious maintenance problems later on.

Come on, try it, it may be easier than you think. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Eric_R said:
What next? Oops, we left the rubber ring on the old oil filter up on the engine when we installed the new?

Grif,
I tried that one last week, can't get the filter on with 2 gaskets. I tried for a while... :rolleyes:
It can be done! The sad thang is oil pressure goes to hell.

Someone help me out here: Didn't a dealer do this and wasn't the engine replaced? Way back on the old board?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
grifscoots said:
It can be done! The sad thang is oil pressure goes to hell.

Someone help me out here: Didn't a dealer do this and wasn't the engine replaced? Way back on the old board?
Nah, 'tweren't no dealer. It wuz the chick magnet. Dude rode it home after we changed fluids down at my storage unit. Called to say the engine wuz actin' kinda funny and makin' strange noises - next day or so, rode it a hunnert miles or so, over to Lone Star and they 'informed' him that *someone* put the new filter on, over the old gasket, which didn't drop with the old filter removal. :eek: Unhhh - we checkee that pretty way close now!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Dick said:
Nah, 'tweren't no dealer. It wuz the chick magnet. Dude rode it home after we changed fluids down at my storage unit. Called to say the engine wuz actin' kinda funny and makin' strange noises - next day or so, rode it a hunnert miles or so, over to Lone Star and they 'informed' him that *someone* put the new filter on, over the old gasket, which didn't drop with the old filter removal. :eek: Unhhh - we checkee that pretty way close now!!! :rolleyes:
We have more problems with that chick magnet. Be sure to tell him about Salado.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts