BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just drained the oil and lubed the splines on the final drive of my 2011 RT. Does anyone with the newer RT know if you refill the final drive through the speed sensor plug hole or the breather hole? I tried refilling through the speed sensor hole but the oil is not going in easily. I knoe the final drive only takes 180 ml but I can only seem to get about 30 to 40 ml in before it wants to overflow. Does the breather hole need to be unplugged to get the oil into the speed sensor hole?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
The 2011 has a fill hole. With the wheel off look toward the 3 o'clock position. You want to look at the top, but the top of the final drive is approx at that 3 o'clock position.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
416 Posts
It is slow. You may find that rotating the wheel as you add the fluid will move the fluid into the case a bit more quickly. The big gear moves the fluid down as it rotates.

Think caterpillar versus snail...

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
I just did the final drive on my 2010 RT. I got great information from the JVB DVD. The main difference to the DVD was the location of the fill hole. After the rear wheel was remove, looking from the muffler side, the fill hole was at 10 o'clock and a 6mm allen not the 5mm specified in the video.. It is tricky to get the oil in . I bought some extra wood glue squeeze bottles a while back. I took one of them and market 180 ml on the bottle with a marker. I then added a short length of plastic tubing over the bottle tip. Filled the bottle with the required lube and then gave the bike an IV. Worked great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
Mechanic at A&S told me that it should take about 20 minutes to trickle the final drive fluid in so that you don't overflow. I made a special gizmachie with some old ABS drain pipe and a valve screwed into the end feeding a plastic tube, and I hang it from the lifting handle on the rack. I'll post a pic next time I do it.

JayJay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
JayJay said:
Mechanic at A&S told me that it should take about 20 minutes to trickle the final drive fluid in so that you don't overflow. I made a special gizmachie with some old ABS drain pipe and a valve screwed into the end feeding a plastic tube, and I hang it from the lifting handle on the rack. I'll post a pic next time I do it.

JayJay
Not sure about the 20 minutes. It took me much less and didn't spill a drop. I don't have any experience with other years of RT but the 2010 takes only 180 ml and has a "fill" hole. Perhaps other models when using the sensor port required the longer fill time ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw the fill hole located at the 3:00 position after the fact. I ended up pouring the oil down the breather hole and had the speed sensor hole open for venting. The oil poured right in. Hope it ended up in the right area within the final drive. I'm pretty sure there is just one big chamber for the oil to go and it really doesn't matted which hole you use. Does anyone know if that is correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Ok not sure but is it possible that there are different rear drives on the 2010? The "crush" washer for the fill hole from the dealer did not fit on my bike. I will be out in the bike barn today and will try to take and post an image.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
TWheels said:
Ok not sure but is it possible that there are different rear drives on the 2010? The "crush" washer for the fill hole from the dealer did not fit on my bike. I will be out in the bike barn today and will try to take and post an image.
I attached an image of the final drive from the muffler side and indicated the fill hole I used. Is this correct?? Is this different from your final drives? This is the first time I have changed the lube myself so I am concerned since everyone is saying the fill hole is at 3 o'clock.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
TWheels said:
There doesn't seem to be any fill hole on that side of the drive. I guess it doesn't matter except I am curious why this bike is different.
Look at the 3rd picture, it's the silver allen plug, close to the 11:00 position.
It's the silver plug in the painted black section.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
TWheels said:
I attached an image of the final drive from the muffler side and indicated the fill hole I used. Is this correct?? Is this different from your final drives? This is the first time I have changed the lube myself so I am concerned since everyone is saying the fill hole is at 3 o'clock.
That's it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
New2rt said:
Look at the 3rd picture, it's the silver allen plug, close to the 11:00 position.
It's the silver plug in the painted black section.
That's the one I used but everyone is saying the fill hole is at the 3 o'clock position. So, not having done this before, I thought I may have used the wrong hole. When I couldn't find the 3 o'clock fill hole, I thought there might be something "unique" about my bike. "Unique" is usually not a good thing. Now that you have confirmed the location, I suppose there is a difference between the GS (in the DVD) and the RT which was not shown. Or there was a production change at some point for the 2010's??
Thanks for the confirmation
Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
TWheels said:
That's the one I used but everyone is saying the fill hole is at the 3 o'clock position. So, not having done this before, I thought I may have used the wrong hole. When I couldn't find the 3 o'clock fill hole, I thought there might be something "unique" about my bike. "Unique" is usually not a good thing. Now that you have confirmed the location, I suppose there is a difference between the GS (in the DVD) and the RT which was not shown. Or there was a production change at some point for the 2010's??
Thanks for the confirmation
Peter
Pre lower drain bolt, you had to swing down the final drive unit to drain. That plug was at the 3 or 9 position depending on which side of the bike you were on. Some used that same bolt to also fill the drive.
My 09RT was in the same position as your 10RT
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top