BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This must have been discussed here, but I don't recal any such thread and my searches came up empty.

I broke down and bought a Handy SAM 1000. I elected to not buy the side extensions, but am having second thoughts as it appears that riding onto the lift might be the safest method. Although, the extra weight might compress the suspension enough to cause a clearance issue at the top of the ramp.

Those of you who are experienced lift table users, how do you get the LT onto, and off of, your lift? Do you use side extensions and ride it on? Stand beside and walk it on as most lift table videos show, but always with bikes half the weight of the LT? Do you walk it on, but with assistance from the engine? Some other clever technique?

These "walk it on" techniques seem dicey to me with a nearly 900 lb motorcycle, but may just be my lack of experience using a lift table.

·
Registered
594 Posts
This must have been discussed here, but I don't recal any such thread and my searches came up empty.

I broke down and bought a Handy SAM 1000. I elected to not buy the side extensions, but am having second thoughts as it appears that riding onto the lift might be the safest method. Although, the extra weight might compress the suspension enough to cause a clearance issue at the top of the ramp.

Those of you who are experienced lift table users, how do you get the LT onto, and off of, your lift? Do you use side extensions and ride it on? Stand beside and walk it on as most lift table videos show, but always with bikes half the weight of the LT? Do you walk it on, but with assistance from the engine? Some other clever technique?

These "walk it on" techniques seem dicey to me with a nearly 900 lb motorcycle, but may just be my lack of experience using a lift table.
I just keep the bike running. I walk the bike on the lift walking by it and using clutch / throttle. First time a little bit scary but after couple of times no problems. And no side-extensions. I put the bike on the side stand and after getting it on the lift will maneuver it on the center stand.

If this feels too scary, ask a friend to be on the other side of bike / stand to back you up on the first time.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Watched the Handy lift video and they show guys walking besides the bike and driving the bike up the ramp. I personally very rarely move my bike without sitting on it because I feel I have much more control that way. I don't have a lift but am thinking of getting one so let us know how it works out for you. I would get the side extensions so I could sit on the bike and drive it up. I'm use to driving my bike up an down a ramp for my enclosed motorcycle trailer. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have a Handy Lift with side extensions. I ride it up with my wife at the ready for the front wheel clamp then tie the bike down. Still don't like it.

Robert

Reactions: Patric

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,248 Posts
I ride mine on as that is where she is stored and I ride it off as well (well I sit on it but I don't use reverse). I have never had ramp issues but I did add a 2 x 4 to raise the bottom of the ramp a bit. I use the side extensions with non-slip stair strips. Many have built wooden replicas to put the feet on. It is a pain to work on the bike when they are on and a pain to remove them so it only happens for major service. (they came with the used Handy electric lift).

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Handy Lift with side extensions. I ride it up with my wife at the ready for the front wheel clamp then tie the bike down. Still don't like it.

Robert
Curious as to why you still don't like it. Anything you can think of to do to make it more comfortable to ride on?

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ride mine on as that is where she is stored and I ride it off as well (well I sit on it but I don't use reverse). I have never had ramp issues but I did add a 2 x 4 to raise the bottom of the ramp a bit. I use the side extensions with non-slip stair strips. Many have built wooden replicas to put the feet on. It is a pain to work on the bike when they are on and a pain to remove them so it only happens for major service. (they came with the used Handy electric lift).
The Handy video suggests they are easy to install and remove. What makes them a pain? I am hesitant to buy them as they are pricey and are two more things to store in an already tight garage. If they are a pain to use, it makes even less sense. I originally planned to build wood platforms, but they are even larger to store, but would save the hassle of installing and removing.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Although, the extra weight might compress the suspension enough to cause a clearance issue at the top of the ramp.
it did for me, so I elevated the end of the ramp at floor level. See pix. Only needs the thickness of 2" X4"
Those of you who are experienced lift table users, how do you get the LT onto, and off of, your lift? Do you use side extensions and ride it on? Yes

I'd have somebody close by to assist if things get dicey - you'll get the hang of it shortly. Do get the extensions. I got the 8" ones and have wished all along that I'd gotten the 12" ones. Good luck..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have the HF lift with no side tables, not the Handy 1000 and I walked it up. It did bottom out on the ramp so adding a 2X4 under the bottom back end would help eliminate that. I put a substantial chock bolted to the end of the lift as the HF supplied wheel clamp is about useless. Once you get the front wheel into the chock, then you may be able to let go of it or at least lessen the death grip you will have on it to get the straps on it and tie it down.

If I had side extensions, I might be tempted to ride it up but without them, you will surly fall off the lift.

Reactions: JNW003

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Curious as to why you still don't like it. Anything you can think of to do to make it more comfortable to ride on?
It's a balance issue. I am 6'2" but my legs are 33". If I don't do it just right my feet will be in the air as I go up the ramp and they don't reach the ground when the front wheel is up and the rear is on the ground. I have about a two foot zone of disaster. Also here in Texas we have a lot of humidity and that does not help the foot traction. I am going to put a strip of traction tape on both side rails and on the ramp. I hope that helps.

Robert

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I use these from the local auto store link
I put them halfway to the rear of the ramp then I can ride it up ok into the wheel chock, deploy side stand and get off. the use a scissor jack under the bike to lift the back end off and manually deploy the centre stand by hand, then remove the jack and it is the safest option for me.

Reactions: CheezNbeer

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
same thing in usa
link

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,248 Posts
The Handy video suggests they are easy to install and remove. What makes them a pain? I am hesitant to buy them as they are pricey and are two more things to store in an already tight garage. If they are a pain to use, it makes even less sense. I originally planned to build wood platforms, but they are even larger to store, but would save the hassle of installing and removing.
1. They are heavy and I have trouble lifting them solo now. But they do come off very easy.

2. The poles they mount on move and it is difficult to get the holes lined up. I have to go from side to side with a hammer to get everything seated. I have one pole that the former owner had drilled a hole through when mounting a Baxley chock and it stays put if I drop a bolt in the hole. I guess I need to do that with the other one.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1. They are heavy and I have trouble lifting them solo now. But they do come off very easy.

2. The poles they mount on move and it is difficult to get the holes lined up. I have to go from side to side with a hammer to get everything seated. I have one pole that the former owner had drilled a hole through when mounting a Baxley chock and it stays put if I drop a bolt in the hole. I guess I need to do that with the other one.
Thanks. If it takes two to install the extensions, might as well use the help to push the bike up.

The good news is I decided to try pushing it on per the videos. My wife spotted me on the right side and with about a 3' head start, it went up the ramp surprisingly easily. My only issue is the wheel vise is a fair bit off center, might be close to 2". So the vise pushed the wheel to the right as my wife cranked it tight and this caused the LT to list to the right probably 3-5 degrees. It was enough that I didn't trust the vise to hold it while I affixed the strapd. So, I had my wife spot it until the straps were snug.

I hate to drill more holes, but it would be nice to have the wheel centered. Adding the rubber wheel protectors will reduce the offset maybe a quarter inch.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use these from the local auto store link
I put them halfway to the rear of the ramp then I can ride it up ok into the wheel chock, deploy side stand and get off. the use a scissor jack under the bike to lift the back end off and manually deploy the centre stand by hand, then remove the jack and it is the safest option for me.
Are you using these ramps in place of the extensions or in addition to them?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have been looking to get a lift. Has anyone ever put the lift in the floor.

It would take a little time to open the cement floor, an refinish the hole.

Photos of some of the set ups would be great.

Thanks.

Reactions: Axle

·
Registered
330 Posts
I walk mine onto my Handy lift. I get a 10' plus running start and she pops right up there. I don't find my clamp off center, that's wierd they drilled your table wrong. Drilling new holes wouldn't bother me.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
same side runners as Axle uses... ride the bike up, sit on it and walk it back off... easy after you've done it a couple of times.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts