BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I finally got around to doing a modification I've been planning.
Putting a chrome baggage rack mounted on the top cover of the K1200LT COVER TOP CASE
Fabricated the mounts and thought it would be a simple thing to remove the inside of the top cover.
Removed all the screws, back rest, side speakers all came off. But I cannot get the inside plastic cover to move.
Anyone had experience in removing it?

About ready to just not do it. Can't figure out what is holding the inside cover into the top case cover.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
So today I finally got around to doing a modification I've been planning.
Putting a chrome baggage rack mounted on the top cover of the K1200LT COVER TOP CASE
Fabricated the mounts and thought it would be a simple thing to remove the inside of the top cover.
Removed all the screws, back rest, side speakers all came off. But I cannot get the inside plastic cover to move.
Anyone had experience in removing it?

About ready to just not do it. Can't figure out what is holding the inside cover into the top case cover.
If you have the OEM luggage rack for the top case, it was designed to be put in with the inside cover in place. I did mine and had to drill 5 holes all the way through the inner liner from the outside. Getting the angle on the holes was slightly challenging but I did it. I didn't bother getting the expensive rubber gaskets that go in-between the rack and the case. I used faucet washers and that seals and works just fine. If you are doing something after market, you may be on your own but there is probably not much space between the inner liner and the outer cover. Pictures of what you are doing would be nice.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,123 Posts
The halves are glued together you won't get them apart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts