BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this as an opinion for the prospect of long term durability. When I purchased my K1200LT new in 2006 and being a BMW novice, I wasn’t sure about its resilience. From 2006 to 2012, most often with it loaded down and run hard, it performed without a single glitch which instilled my confidence. Before I converted it to a Hannigan trike, in 2012, I had to replace the clutch assembly due to a transmission seal leak but all has been well since then. Adding the Hannigan puts an additional load of 320 pounds to this already weighty beast. Then in 2013 I picked up an Aspen Classic camper near Chicago on my way to Colorado. I never really thought about whether the engine or drive train could handle an addition load of the 350 pounds empty weight for the long term. Pulling this up and down some Colorado Rockies and across many states on my return trip, not a single problem other than some valid high coolant temps on the mountain ascents in 92 degree weather.

Presently, it’s not often I’ll pull the camper along when the wife and me go on our multi-day forays. Toward the end of this season we went to Shenandoah National Park again. This time all I could dwell on with the ride to and from the camp site was if I was taxing the LT way beyond its limitations. But once again not a single hiccup from this baby! It has always been well maintained and regularly serviced with no evidence of any brewing problem. Everything from the engine to the driveshaft is OEM with the exception of a Siebenrock clutch plate. The rear universal back is various automotive parts. I always keep the RPM’s 4k and above 99 percent of the time when on the road and use low revs for starting out in first gear to the point of almost stalling. But what about the additional load on the rest of the drive? Do you suppose BMW has engineered in enough robustness to tolerate this additional stress for the long haul? Do I put my perceived concerns to rest or am I riding on a ticking time bomb when the camper is tagging along? Whatcha think?...................:unsure:

Attachments

Reactions: wilpete7

·
Registered
378 Posts
It sounds to me like you ride the rig in a fashion that will give you good results. With a heavy load it’s got to be in the power band of 4K plus. That and gentle starts should keep her going. I know a little about the heavy load as I load my LT up with my Bride and a lot of luggage. Most of the heavy stuff in a Unigo trailer.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,916 Posts
I have made many trips with a fully loaded Bushtec trailer two on my LT and have 117,000 on it now with no major issues. I did re-ring it at 100K to stop excessive oil consumption but I attribute that to too many hours spent in 2nd gear at 7,000 RPMs in the mountain twisties and NOT the pulling of the trailer on the open road.

Reactions: rocket rick
1 - 3 of 3 Posts