BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The pulsating is too slow for it to be a tyre issue, it’s definitely related to a constant RPM more than the actual road speed

·
Registered
10 Posts
RE: Do you have Continental tires.

My bike's ridden poorly with Michelin PR4 and Metzeler 01 tires, but is as smooth as glass on the 4 sets of Continental Road Attack 3 tires I've gone through.

The issue could still be the tires, but I wouldn't start with "if they are brand X then they're fine" and move on to the next thing. If you think it might be tire related, get them checked out.
To be fair to Continental I loved them on my KTM Super Adventure just didn’t have the same results on the RT

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve just got my very first BMW, a 2020 1250 RT and it’s driving me nuts. It’s brand new, now with 1,300 miles on the clock and at anything above a steady 3500rpm in 4th 5th or 6th gear it has a “pulsating” buzz which comes through the seat and you can also hear the hum hum hum (hard to explain) The Rev counter is steady, the speed is steady without and engine surging but it’s very obvious and mega annoying.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any suggestions as to what if May be? Should I be concerned?

TIA
You don't mention the akrapovic exhaust. My K1300s got a weird buzz/hum at about 3700rpm that disappeared at 9500rpm. Very strange but I got used to it. The noise disappeared when I swapped back to the stock can. Now the RT, mines from June 2020, no top box and totally stock. 18900 km on clock and
my first boxer. The damn things vibe at any revs, but over the last year I have discovered that at 3500rpm there's a little harsh spot but then as soon as the shiftcam goes to hi it all changes. Go to a dealer and test a GS or RS and you'll find the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok I have to share this. In addition to my RT I have a ‘13 R1200R. Smoothest running bike there is. I decided to put an MRA X Screen wind deflector I had sitting around on the VStream windshield. Headed to work this am got on the highway and the bike had a terrible vibration. Impossible to tell the source but it was bad. Felt like motor or drivetrain. Got to work took off the wind deflector went for a ride and no more vibration. So it doesn’t take much to have big effects.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
UPDATE: The dealer have their hands on the bike. It’s been tested by two mechanics and their opinion is …. “The bike has no mechanical issues, the pulsating at a variety of speeds and RPM is an idiosyncrasy of the Boxer engine and I will get used to it. However if there is a fault it will develop” ?? !!!!!

Unfortunately I can’t disprove their opinion but at least there’s a job card on it’s mechanical history now. Not ideal

41 - 46 of 46 Posts