BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had goldwings in the past. Several of them and done long trips. Does anyone pull a trailer with a RT ? How does it do?

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
442 Posts
I do, but only a single wheeler, so the loads are low. 35 kg for the trailer empty and 70 kg loaded. We don't camp, so it is only to hold cloths and supplies for multi day trips. Cannot tell the trailer is behind, loaded or empty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do, but only a single wheeler, so the loads are low. 35 kg for the trailer empty and 70 kg loaded. We don't camp, so it is only to hold cloths and supplies for multi day trips. Cannot tell the trailer is behind, loaded or empty.
Thanks, I have seen one wheel trailers,never pulled one. Not sure if it would be right for me or not. Has there been any mechanical problems caused by pulling trailer?

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
321 Posts
To me this is the only trailer I would ever tow. It's nice also because you can just wheel it into your hotel room

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tow a 60kg empty 2-wheeler, with a 100kg payload. It tows well, although I don't load it to its max payload.
View attachment 176556
This set up is what I am use to other than the bike being a goldwing. Nice looking rig. Has the been any mechanical issues with the bike, caused by the extra load of the trailer? I heard a comment a while back that extra load would cause problems with the final drive. Not sure I believe that. What about fuel milage. How does it affect it? Trailers reduce milage about 4 MPG on goldwings.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To me this is the only trailer I would ever tow. It's nice also because you can just wheel it into your hotel room
I have seen these but never pulled one. Thanks for the link. Something to think about Giving a try. These trailers would limit what my wife could take ,which would be a good thing.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
442 Posts
Has there been any mechanical problems caused by pulling trailer?
No. It is important to have a properly designed tow bar to pick up and distribute towing loads properly, but in a case of a single wheeler, you are looking at less than a pillion's body weight, so not much to worry about in the first place. Larger, two wheeled designs can be overloaded, especially if you take everything but the kitchen sink to a camping trip. The general rule of thumb is to have 10% of the weight on the tow ball and do not tow more than 2/3 of the weight of the bike. You do not want the tail to start wagging the dog. Even if you have brakes on the trailer.

To me this is the only trailer I would ever tow.
Big words there... What makes you think the Uni-Go is the only usable single wheel design? Have you tried all the other options out there? Like Armoric Design for example?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I started this thread,I had a 2 wheel trailer in mind such as a bushtec or similar. I have pulled those in the past and a couple of motorcycle campers. I have a leesure lite motorcycle camper that we use from time to time. I pull it with goldwing. After the unigo trailer was mentioned,it got me researching them. I found a few designs and some home built ones. Anyone ever pull one of those?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have seen others pulling the unigo trailer like the one you have. in my research I found Third Wheel Trailers. Have you seen those and if so can you tell me why you choose the unigo over Third Wheel.
I have seen the Third wheel, and it wasn't exactly choosing one over the other. I had a nice two wheel trailer and stumbled across the unigo for sale. I picked it up went over it top to bottom had it painted and sold my other trailer.

JJ

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have seen the Third wheel, and it wasn't exactly choosing one over the other. I had a nice two wheel trailer and stumbled across the unigo for sale. I picked it up went over it top to bottom had it painted and sold my other trailer.

JJ
How do you like pulling the single wheel trailer compared to a 2 wheel trailer?

·
Registered
97 Posts
How do you like pulling the single wheel trailer compared to a 2 wheel trailer?
Its lighter, the unigo loaded weights the same or less than my other trailer empty. Don't know its back there and its small enough to unhook and bring inside a hotel room. I think anything bigger just lets you take more stuff than needed...

JJ

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its lighter, the unigo loaded weights the same or less than my other trailer empty. Don't know its back there and its small enough to unhook and bring inside a hotel room. I think anything bigger just lets you take more stuff than needed...

JJ
Thanks for the info. I have been trying to find videos ,to see how much these will hold. not very successful on the search. I did find one video of someone packing a third wheel trailer.
I would like to pack a tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bags and cooking stuff for 2 people.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
99 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have been trying to find videos ,to see how much these will hold. not very successful on the search. I did find one video of someone packing a third wheel trailer.
I would like to pack a tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bags and cooking stuff for 2 people.
Shouldn't be a problem, depends on the sleeping bags, if they are down and in compression bags then no issues at all and you'll have some room to spare. I had a unigo for a short period but sold it because I found the more I could pack, the more I brought... and I only NEED to bring enough for a couple bags on the pass seat. Plus I've yet to find a woman that wants to camp with me so it's just 1-up touring.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
531 Posts
I had stopped by a booth at last year's MOA rally in Great Falls Montana. I was impressed by their design of their hitch. It attached to the central hub of the rear tire. It could come off quickly. I tried going to Roam Trailers, but the site isn't working. I'm guessing the company didn't get up and running?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here is my tent, sunshade, griddle, propane, and airmatress still room for sleeping bags, chairs and misc stuff...
Automotive tire Fender Motor vehicle Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
97 Posts
This set up is what I am use to other than the bike being a goldwing. Nice looking rig. Has the been any mechanical issues with the bike, caused by the extra load of the trailer? I heard a comment a while back that extra load would cause problems with the final drive. Not sure I believe that. What about fuel milage. How does it affect it? Trailers reduce milage about 4 MPG on goldwings.
I've had no final drive problems whatsoever. I think those that had problems were pre-wethead bikes, and they could have problems regardless of whether a trailer was being towed.
The download on the towbar is around 10 to 13kg - much less than a pillion. I can't see how it could cause final drive problems with that weight. The setup of the towbar is important IMO - mine is adjustable, so I set mine in a way that the centre of the towball is inline with the final drive centreline when the bike is loaded. That prevents any coupling moments when manoeuvring into (and out of) corners. Otherwise, that coupling moment can affect the steering of the trailer, which then gives undesired feedback into the towbar. Not dangerous, but it makes the task of towing less enjoyable.
One thing I found with the LED taillight on the RT is that I couldn't get the incandescent globes in the trailer lights to work without triggering a fault code on my GS-911. (I put it down to the relatively high current demand from the trailer globes). So I built a powered adapter box using solid-state relays to get around the problem. I now get no error codes with the GS-911, and the trailer lights function perfectly. The box for the adapter sits under the top box rack behind the TPMS box.
The fuel economy on my bike is normally around 4.7L/100km. with the trailer on it goes up to about 5-5.2L/100km, so about the same as your experience.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts