BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I want to save money so I want to pull the tires myself so I got a friend's lift that I used to change the tires on my old VTX and realized I can't use it on the LT. So what do I do now? I can't spend the $$ on a harbor freight and want to do it tonight. Any suggestions to doing without the lift? Any ideas or walk throughs would be greatly appreciated. Tires will be in tomorrow and want to use them on my ride Friday. Thanks again in advance. :)

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I have a HF lift, but I don't use it for tire changes. The rear is off the ground--take off that back plate and the tire will pull right out after you remove the lug bolts. For raising the front I use a scissor jack under the oil pan. A piece of plywood protects the pan from the jack.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Remove Tires

The back is too easy to bother explaining, the front needs some way to prop up the front of the engine so the front wheel is just off the ground (scissors jack, hydraulic jack). Remove the screws holding the front 1/2 of the front fender and set the fender aside. Remove two bolts from each caliper. Slide the calipers outboard until they touch the rim, twist with enough force so the disc pries the pads apart and you can remove the calipers from the disc. Now you can remove the axle bolt and remove the front wheel forward.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. The tire removal I knew how to do was wondering about getting the tires off without the lift and you guys answered that too. Thanks again
David

·
Registered
353 Posts
I use to tie the center stand forward on my venture, remove rear tire, jack under engine and remove front tire as mentioned above. It was just a precaution so it would not go forward of the center stand while the wheels were removed

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
WARNING!!!
make SURE no kiddo's or small animals which can bump the bike are around....

- Bike on Centerstand
- use tie-down strap to pull Centerstand forward.. actually to keep it from folding back up on you
- Remove rear tire
- place small car jack under engine with board between jack and engine
- jack up slightly under engine until front wheel in the air about 4 inches
- remove front tire.
- mount new tires
- Reverse above process.

If you don't have a small enough jack... use a big wooden block of sufficient height under the engine

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Remove rear first, then you can lift the front high enough to remove the front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts