BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulling the clutch, and so far down to removing the swing arm. Reading the Clymers, it suggests that the drive shaft will come out with the swing arm. Is this correct, or will there be something in there lurking, waiting to bite me in the butt?

On my way into town to get the dreaded 30 MM socket, so I'll check back in. Thanks.

So far, the hardest thing to do was wiggle the O2 sensor plug out through the wiring while removing the exhaust (which is not cracked).

I'm having me some fun!!! Gonna check valves tonight too.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
989 Posts
It is true, once you have started removing the swing arm, you will just "pop-off" the driveshaft.

However, that could be the least of your of your problems. The real difficulty is in the swingarm itself. You will fight with the 30mm pivot covers - though these came off easily for me, the trick being that the socket must be perpendicular.

The problem that stumped me was removal of the pivot bolts. I fought them valiantly, destroyed several breaker bars and various sockets, almost destroyed the pivots - then gave up.

For suggestions from various forum members on how to approach the pivot job, read my Thread On Removing Swingarm Pivots .

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
rdwalker said:
It is true, once you have started removing the swing arm, you will just "pop-off" the driveshaft.

However, that could be the least of your of your problems. The real difficulty is in the swingarm itself. You will fight with the 30mm pivot covers - though these came off easily for me, the trick being that the socket must be perpendicular.
+1, the DS if its still on, will simply pull (sharp pull) as there is a spring clip on the inside. Light tap to get it back in place as well... :D

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Just got back with the tools, and I'll go see what happens.

If this goes like everything else so far, it'll be a slice of cake and a piece of pie.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That went way too well!! Got it off with VERY little trouble. What I have been doing all along is hosing eveything down with penetrating oil, let it sit a while, apply heat, and everything has just popped right off.

All except the drive shaft. Feels like it's in there solid, so there must be something I've missed. Probably a retainer ring of sorts. Didn't find it in Clymers, but I just poured a nudder cupa coffee, and I'm betting it shows itself.

Again, thanks for all the help. I hope I'll be able to help someone else down the road.

Frank

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
fpmlt said:
That went way too well!! Got it off with VERY little trouble. What I have been doing all along is hosing eveything down with penetrating oil, let it sit a while, apply heat, and everything has just popped right off.

All except the drive shaft. Feels like it's in there solid, so there must be something I've missed. Probably a retainer ring of sorts. Didn't find it in Clymers, but I just poured a nudder cupa coffee, and I'm betting it shows itself.

Again, thanks for all the help. I hope I'll be able to help someone else down the road.

Frank
wedge a screw driver in between the GB and the shaft and it will pop right off.... Retainer "spring clip" ring is on the inside, of both ends...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, the udder cup'a coffee did it. Drive shaft is out, and now on to lowing the engine and tranny.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got her all torn down. Biggest problem, besides the O2 sensor wire, was the air box! Can you believe that? More trouble getting those clamps off the intakes than anything else, including the swingarm bolts.

The O ring on the engine shaft came out in 4 pieces. Super brittle. The whole intermediate housing was saturated in oil, including the pressure plate. The clutch plate was bone dry, but very nearly down to the rivets, just plain worn out. So I guess I'm really fortunate to have caught this when I did.

It's a time consuming job, but darn good fun and well worth the effort. Would've been fun to have a "crew", but I got it done, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Just gotta' get some parts and put her back together.

Question in the mean time: should I take the starter apart and clean that? I've read about the sprag clutch getting gummed up, but it that something I should look at? Oreven something I've accessed?

·
Registered
929 Posts
fpmlt said:
Question in the mean time: should I take the starter apart and clean that? I've read about the sprag clutch getting gummed up, but it that something I should look at? Oreven something I've accessed?
Cant help on the sprag clutch but I think you should look at your starter--check the brushes for wear and for any oil contamination. I had developed a terrible problem with my starter because of it but at least it led me to pulling my slave which had failed...what seemed a pain at first has now made me relieved because it ultimately saved my clutch from contamination!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Have you gotten your new clutch yet? Your old one may not have been that worn. When we took my clutch out, it looked like it was toast - but next to a new one, didn't look that bad. They really don't put that much material on them.

I didn't do anything special with the starter - I just cleaned everything inside the intermediate housing and front of tranny very thoroughly with brake cleaner. Let it soak, and blow it our with compressed air.

·
Registered
130 Posts
How many miles ? If your over 80k I'd think about hte transmission input shaft bearing and seal. Don't forget about the alternator too, it's buried in there behind the tranny and takes the same amount of effort to remove if you had to do it later.

Just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Frank sounds like you got this thing all wrapped up, great job!!!!!!!!

I did have a dill of a time getting the drive shaft back on and a second person helped greatly. And John said you have to hold your mouth just right :D

Good to see you getting it done.

And no I wont ask for pictures :p

·
Registered
989 Posts
fpmlt said:
... hosing everything down with penetrating oil, let it sit a while, apply heat, and everything has just popped right off...
Frank, could you elaborate on how and where did you apply heat?
(I'll be doing another attempt after this season.)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Robert,
I hit anything that I thought might have thread-lock on it. The swing arm bolts, the exhaust manifold bolds, the bearing cap bolts at the final drive, but nothing with a lock nut - like the transmission mounting bolt. I was really amazed at how easily everything came off.
I also discovered that the alternator and starter wiring had to be taken off to allow the motor to drop.

And some things I learned:
The Harbor Freight roll around pneumatic stool was one of my better investments;
If you put the final drive on your lap, with oil in it, and scoot around your shop on your new roll around stool, it will leave a trail like a slug;
if you touch a bolt that you just heated (in order to test it), you WILL burn your finger;
you can't have too many tools or flashlights;
you'll find a ton of extra bolts and washers tucked into the most bizarre places!

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
The wonderful part of this whole deal is when you hit the starter for the first time and it starts!................ :histerica

1 - 15 of 15 Posts