BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling the cam's today to see what different buckets I'll need to get the lash back on the loose side. The first pic is of the two cam's. The intake has one groove & the exhaust has none. Pic. #2 is checking the lash hot last night. Hot lash was .003 to .007 Intake & .011 to .014 Exhaust. Pic. #3 is my feeler gages set up to check cold lash this morning. Cold lash was. .0015 to .005 Intake & .009 to .011 Exhaust.

The next thing I did was to remove the spark plugs to do a compression & leak down test. Pic. #4 & 5 is the compression test. 170 to 174 lbs cold. Pic. #6 is setting TDC for the leak down test. Pic. #7 & 8 is the leak down test. Leak down was 12 to 18 % all past the rings. The last time I did this test was 30,000 miles ago and # 3 is 9 % better now.

Time to go pull the cam's something I have not done before. I have two trays set up to keep the buckets in order. One for when I remove them & the other to transfer to when I clean the oil off.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
If you have not already removed the cams, be careful when removing the exhaust one. The buckets can slide out unexpectedly, and get mixed up.

I clean the ends of the head really well and use a piece of duct tape across the bottom edge of the followers to help keep them in.

·
Registered
321 Posts
We used to do allot of headgaskets on the GM quad 4. We had to tip the head to clean the face of the head after the cams were removed to get to the head bolts. We used some old magnet strips from the seal on refrigerator door to run across the buckets to keep them from falling out. I plan on trying it this winter since I have 2 exhaust valve that are now tight.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got it all back together (had to cut three lawns, clean the boat & put the cover on before dark). I left the second exh. cap on loose so I could use a magnet to get one bucket out at a time starting with # 4. Otherwise your right David the slippery little buckets would fall right out.

I have two solvent tanks to clean parts in. The first one I use as a pre-wash tank (pic 4) & the second one is only used for engine,transmission or final drive parts (pic. 5) as a final solvent wash after they have been pre-washed. My final wash step is to rinse with water & dry with compressed air (pic. 6). Pic. 7 & 8 is the intake parts cleaned & lubed for assembly. I think I'll lean the bike over to the right next time so the oil doesn't keep leaking out. I'll add some extra tie down straps on the left side.

Now I'll do the math & figure out which buckets I can move around & how many I'll need to replace. As long as I waited to do this I'll probably need about half of them :( :crazy:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Dave:

I have a couple of spares around here somewhere. Let me know what you need and if I have them, I'll share.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gunny said:
Dave:

I have a couple of spares around here somewhere. Let me know what you need and if I have them, I'll share.
Thanks for the offer gunny :wave . I can move enough around to get all the intakes at .008 clearance & that leaves me nothing for the exhaust.

Here is what I need 7 at 2.700 & 1 at 2.650

This is what I have to trade 5 at 2.900, 2 at 2.850 & 1 at 2.750

I was hoping to spend another day in the mountains tomorrow but them intakes is a little to tight until I get them back in spec. For now I'll just be riding around here keeping the RPM's down :( .

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hey Dave,

I have a 2.65 but no 2.70. let me know how you want me to send it.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jeffklt said:
Hey Dave,

I have a 2.65 but no 2.70. let me know how you want me to send it.
Nothing like fast friendly service Jeff :D . Your 2.65 bucket arrived today :thumb: Thanks Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts