BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I need ti know how much slack there is supposed to be in the gear box.

Bought this BMW k 1200lt with 98800 miles on it. The radio was out and the clutch had a clunking sound in it at idle. If the engine was idling at 1050 or above there was no noise. If the Clutch master cylinder was engaged there was less noise. My question is how much slack is there supposed to be in the gear box.I can turn the input shaft about half was around in 1st gear before the output shaft moves and there is a clunk when it does move. I think this is the clunking noise that I was hearing at idle. Can anyone help me out here. There may be worn parts in the transmission that are clunking when the engine is idling

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a working tranny on the bench that I purchased as a spare (thought I needed to replace my tranny but I was wrong) so I tried to see if it reacted the same way yours does, This is what I found:

Regardless of whether you turn the input or output, and depending on how quick you turn it, there will be a clunk when the gear engages (it will take about a half a turn until it engages). After it engages there is no noise, and should not be a clunk. It should be smooth. You should be able to engage all gears, including reverse, with ease.

Hope this helps...

Mugz

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds just like what mine does. I guess that is not the clunk i heard when it was idleing. Now how do I find out what the clunking is. Can't start it now with the starter off. Any Ideas anyone.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was no metal on the magnetic drain plug for the tranny and the fluid looked like new. Is there a throwout bearing in the clutch some where. I can not see one on the exploded diagram for the new parts. The parts list does not list a throwout bearing. The clutch rod should ride in the throwout bearing but its not there.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,999 Posts
It might just be the normal noise from the direct drive alternator. Mine at 155,000 miles sounds like its ready to explode.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
saddleman said:
It might just be the normal noise from the direct drive alternator. Mine at 155,000 miles sounds like its ready to explode.
It could be the alternator drive but the noise will stay constant with or without the clutch pulled.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
airplane said:
:confused: I need ti know how much slack there is supposed to be in the gear box.

Bought this BMW k 1200lt with 98800 miles on it. The radio was out and the clutch had a clunking sound in it at idle. If the engine was idling at 1050 or above there was no noise. If the Clutch master cylinder was engaged there was less noise. My question is how much slack is there supposed to be in the gear box.I can turn the input shaft about half was around in 1st gear before the output shaft moves and there is a clunk when it does move. I think this is the clunking noise that I was hearing at idle. Can anyone help me out here. There may be worn parts in the transmission that are clunking when the engine is idling
I just rebuilt a transmission and the problem was a destroyed input shaft bearing. There was a large amount of shavings on the drain plug magnet. The end play and radial movement of the input shaft did not feel like it was too much before disassembly but after all new bearings were installed it was apparent where the issues were in this transmission. If the noise was reduced after pulling in the clutch you probably on the right track where you are looking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is absoultly no end play or side to side play in the tranny input shaft. There was no metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug for the tranny. I do not think I have a tranny problem the clunking must be coming from some where else. I have not actually pulled the clutch out yet. I had to stop when I got the tranny out. Tomorrow i will finish pulling and inspectig the clutch. Thanks for everyone's help this is a great site.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
This is what you were hearing - normal stuff in a K engine. The crank (visible) engages the output shaft (not visible) and that then drives the starter sprag/alternator drive (visible). Until a load is applied at idle these gears bang around a bit. Also known as the "K Rattle". Some are just noisier than others.

But since you are in there already the clutch is most likely half way through its life and the o-ring on the output shaft is getting ready to leak oil. Replace it with a 19x4 Viton o-ring for longer life.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Love the title of your post!

Yawn..... popped the cap off a beer today........

Pulling the gearbox means moving a lot of stuff!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes there was alot of stuff in the way....mostly everything behind the engine. Just a couple of scratches and one massed finger so far. I found a bad swing arm bearing on the left side. Also found that the tranny fill plug was just finger tigh. That explains the wet spot on that side of the tranny. Almost half way done. Just got to order new reai main seal, all new clutch parts drill the weep holes change the fuel and air filter and all the fluids. Then put it all back togeth. might be done in a week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts