BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.. potential K1200LT owner here. I've been riding all sorts of motorcycles for over 45 years but never had a large touring machine. I'm currently blasting around the backroads on a 2014 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE and loving it but feeling a bit lonely. The wife has said she'll ride with me but wants a "throne" seat like on a Gold Wing or Harley Ultra. I was at a dealer the other day and saw an immaculate 2006 K1200LT for around 5K USD. Apart from needing tires, it appears to be perfect and i plan to take a test ride tomorrow. I've been to see it twice now and there are no drips or leaks anywhere and it shows no evidence of ever being dropped. It literally looks like brand new

Sitting on it, it feels very comfortable, well balanced and not "top heavy" as some have described. I'm 5'10, 175lbs and the wife is 5'8", 140lbs.. any observations about riding this version two up? I'm really impressed with the looks compared to the Gold Wings and have a reputable BMW dealer close to home.. Anything to look for on the test ride?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sounds like a good bargain! You can’t beat the LT for passenger comfort. My wife won’t ride on anything else (I have 6 bikes). I have a Guzzi also, ‘07 Norge. If the LT still has rubber brake hoses they should be replaced with braided steel lines.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I bought mine in 2017 and it's a 2005 model that had been pretty well looked after. They are a complex machine but if you are handy with tools you will be able to do most of the work yourself.
If you ride with other guys you'll be the one not complaining about a sore backside and a stiff back. I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
You wont even know your wife's behind you unless you start taking corners too fast for her.. slap across the head will remind you. :rolleyes::D

Perfect for 2-up, once you find the right windscreen height so she doesn't get any buffeting... (I'm about same size as you except 90kg, wife is 5'4"... and used to nod off on long rides).
Definitely check if brake lines have been replaced (eg Spiegler braided) if not should be done asap.
Also ask about the fuel quick disconnects...should also be changed up to at least a metal male rather than the oem plastic, if not both male/female sides to metal QD's.
And "always" be on the bike holding it up for your missus to get on/off.
And be aware if parking on side-stand, always put it in first gear, they have a tendency to roll off the stand and take a nap if even slightly facing downhill.

Check back through old posts, there's long lists of "what to look for" been put up over the years.... I've forgotten most of them. :LOL:(y)

enjoy the ride!

quick added note.... on test ride, if you can get it up to 60-80kph (35-50mph) and in 5th gear open the throttle hard...if it slips at all you may have a contaminated clutch, or clutch change pending..... add a grand or so (?) for that unless you can do it yourself.

Reactions: davebullock

·
Registered
544 Posts
This forum will be your friend if you get it. Tires will be 4-500 so that may be something to consider when making an offer for the LT. Even at the dealer, this seems a bit high. Check service history for the obvious known issues with these bikes, but overall you will find folks on this forum love the bike. I've had our 2000 for nearly 200,00 miles. It is still the favorite bike for my wife to ride for its passenger comfort. I am rare in still using a stock seat and not an aftermarket one, but at your height (similar to me), you may not want to add any more challenges to a top heavy bike. Takes a while to learn at slow speeds, but cruising at 80+ all day cross country makes up for it. Take the advice of 'CWS' and give the clutch a check on your test ride. You don't say how many miles it has?
And most important-what color?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tim
There's a go to site for all things K1200LT. It's called the IllinoisBMWRiders club. Their President has posted videos on everything from evaluating a purchase to rebuilding the top case vinyl.
The above is one of his videos about what you will be in for owning an LT.
If you do pull the trigger, you might want to consider joining, just as a way of supporting the video production.
Of course, this forum, as mentioned above, will become your home away from home for advice, how to, and anything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info guys. I've watched the videos from the IL guy. I've set up a test drive for later today but was able to check out all the features. Everything appears to be working fine. Original brake lines are still there. It's running the Metzler Marathon bias-plys. Front looks like it's about 50%, rear is worn out. 66K miles. No leaks anywhere. Asking $5200

·
Registered
186 Posts
66,000 miles on this 14 year old bike for $5200? And you realize, of course, that you're asking for opinions from a bunch of K1200LT enthusiasts, not from like normal sane people?

Have you looked at Cycletrader? Right now there's a 2005 with 37,000 miles asking $4950. There's a 2007 with 51,000 miles asking $3500. There's a 2005 with 43,000 miles for $4990 or best offer. There's a 2007 with 46,000 miles asking $5000 not on Cycletrader but right here on bmwlt.com.

If you get the BMW dealer to replace those brake lines that'll set you back at least $1500. And the new tires will run you $500 unless you can mount them yourself. Seems to me like if the bike is as clean as you say it is, $3500 would be a steal and $4000 would be decent.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice bike. You can probably save a grand or so, but sometimes a bird in the hand... I bet the dealer will work with you a bit on the price, but if not, I'd say it's not crazy money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello to all.. potential K1200LT owner here. I've been riding all sorts of motorcycles for over 45 years but never had a large touring machine. I'm currently blasting around the backroads on a 2014 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE and loving it but feeling a bit lonely. The wife has said she'll ride with me but wants a "throne" seat like on a Gold Wing or Harley Ultra. I was at a dealer the other day and saw an immaculate 2006 K1200LT for around 5K USD. Apart from needing tires, it appears to be perfect and i plan to take a test ride tomorrow. I've been to see it twice now and there are no drips or leaks anywhere and it shows no evidence of ever being dropped. It literally looks like brand new

Sitting on it, it feels very comfortable, well balanced and not "top heavy" as some have described. I'm 5'10, 175lbs and the wife is 5'8", 140lbs.. any observations about riding this version two up? I'm really impressed with the looks compared to the Gold Wings and have a reputable BMW dealer close to home.. Anything to look for on the test ride?

Tim
If you really want to step up I have a 04 Hannigan trike for sale

·
Registered
90 Posts
You certainly will want to change OEM brake lines for SS braided ones. 66k miles + 14 years have taken their toll on the rubber lines, and it's not fun when they spring a leak. It's a wonderful bike. A beast at zero MPH, but a starship >2MPH. I haven't watched sales recently, but I know they aren't flying off the show room floors, so I'd negotiate a LOT w/ the dealer on price &/or brake lines & tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the test ride today over a variety of roads and feel I put it through it's paces well. Overall, I came away impressed with silky smooth motor and the overall handling of the machine. I did the clutch test as recommended and there was no slippage. It's for sure the largest motorcycle I've ever ridden but I felt confident manuvering it and never had a "top heavy/tippy" feeling. I even had to do a quick u-turn unexpectedly without any issues. It felt really solid through switchbacks and I felt the handling really inspired confidence. I did notice a few irregularities:

1. Applying the rear brake caused a feeling of grinding/roughness through the frame and handlebars. Applying the front brake lightly by itself seemed to make it go it away. I'm thinking pads were worn on the front and there may be metal on metal to the rotor. I checked them out afterwards and thought the right inner front brake pad seemed thinner than the outer.. am I seeing things?? Does the linked braking apply the right front in unison with the rear when you hit the rear brake pedal?

2. The rear suspension felt a little harsher than the front and I'm thinking perhaps the preload was setup for a heavier person and perhaps the worn rear tire contributed?

I was hoping for a totally silky smooth experience but the braking noise/grinding was kind of a disappointment. Underway at speed was great and super comfortable. I told the salesman I needed to ask "a knowledgeable friend" (you guys) about what I saw and felt.. any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Yes linked brakes apply pressure to both front and rear, it's not unusual for one pad side to wear a bit quicker than the other, mine certainly does if one side of the pistons is sticking a little... I've swapped pads inner to outer before when checking them.
Check rear pads might be metal to metal... They are organic pads and wear quicker than the front semi-sintered, might need new pads and new rear rotor?

The rear shock pre-load adjuster can lose oil and be not as effective, see if it adjusts through full length of travel (the big handle under the seat). Should be upper, middle and lower markings on it.
Many owners have modified the rear shock by replacing the spring, or upgraded to better shock, especially as get higher mileage.

There's always ways to spend money on them, but won't find a more beautiful bike to tour on.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes linked brakes apply pressure to both front and rear, it's not unusual for one pad side to wear a bit quicker than the other, mine certainly does... I've swapped pads inner to outer before when checking them.
Check rear pads might be metal to metal... They are organic pads and wear quicker than the front semi-sintered, might need new pads and new rear rotor?

The rear adjuster can lose oil and be not as effective, see if it adjusts through full length of travel (the big handle under the seat). Should be upper, middle and lower markings on it.
Many owners have modified the rear shock by replacing the spring, or upgraded to better shock, especially as get higher mileage.

There's always ways to spend money on them, but won't find a more beautiful bike to tour on.
Hey Chris who do you get your brake pads through. I just bought a new rear disk through Beemer Boneyard but I won't be installing it until I get new pads.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Wazza... Through BeemerBY usually... normally order everything in one hit to reduce shipping costs. :unsure: :giggle:
Have ordered cheaper ones off ebay before but was unhappy with the brand so ditched them for Carbone Lorraine (or EBC).
Will PM you as I need to order some too...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Tim

·
Registered
294 Posts

Tim
I owned a 1999 LT, still own it actually. Rode it long distance allover the place. Here are my impressions:

The bike is Heavy, very heavy. You will not feel this when it is moving but if you turn too sharply or the ground is soft....etc. and it starts to go down then just get out of the way as I doubt you will be able to stop the bike from falling.

The Gold wing to me looks lower to the ground thus the weight maybe not as much of an issue as with the LT.

I have also since owned an RT (Also a 1999) and a GS. The LT is the most comfortable and quiet long distance but it is hands down the heaviest and most scary bike in certain situations where the weight is an issue.

Reliability issues: The rubber brake hoses WILL fail, they did on me all of a sudden and I made it home with almost no brakes. So you need to replace those.

The final drive failed at less than 60K miles. This is a known issue with this bike due to the weight it has to carry and the drive having defects from the factory. There is a guy who rebuilds these and I need to send mine to him.

If battery voltage falls below a certain level and you try to start the bike, there is a relay that gets hot and fails. There is a fix for that by installing a Solenoid from a Ford car to bypass the relay.

There is a LOT of plastic (Tubberware) which you need to remove to get to most things. The gas tank has to be removed or moved out of the way to get to the air filter underneath it.

The stereo system (Yours is different I think) gets woonky after it gets wet (riding in the rain).

Oh, yes...it goes through tires (Because of the weight) like nothing else. And those tires are not cheap.

This is not a beginner's bike but it sounds like you've ridden a lot, so that is not an issue.

Barring a miracle you will drop this bike as it is heavy.

Few other small issues.

That is my experience with the LT. At times I hated it so much, especially when I had to wait around for someone to come help me pick it up when I dropped it. And at times when I am going triple digit and it feels like it is going 60, it is comfortable and handles great then I loved it.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Tim
I would fully encourage you to move forward. She will love it. Almost wish I could trade places with my wife. It is a big bike but once you get used to it you won't be looking back. I bought mine from a friend who lives in New York. Flew back there from Los Angeles and rode it home. I admit, my first thoughts amounted to shear terror. I had never ridden anything like it. I pulled out of his garage in down town Manhattan during rush hour in the rain with steel construction plates all over the road. Crossed in to New Jersey and encountered the strongest cross winds I had ever ridden in. And it stayed that way all the way to Texas. I was doing mental math most of the ride. Let's see, I got a great price, the trade in value towards a new RT would be pretty good..... Then I got to know the bike, wow what a ride. Trust the bike, look down the road and forget about that nasty cross wind. Baby can handle it!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Tim
Ok been on boxer beemers for 40 plus years never had a K model but have always looked at the 16 with a little envy,
you are over sixty now and the missus says she'll ride with you on it, I can't get mine on the bike! , pull that f****N trigger, ride safe

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 6'4" 250lbs and I've owned a 1999 LT, 2001 Goldwing and 2003 Harley Ultra (from new).

The LT is by far the best at speed on bendy roads but is definitely top heavy when you ride it at walking pace in traffic, especially 2-up. It's the only bike that made me look like a beginner after 20 years of riding. I had the sticking relay problem mentioned above and the starter keeps running until you disconnect the battery.

The Ultra is easy to ride with all of the weight low down and is a great cruiser, although a little under-powered. My wife told me the rear seat comfort was better than the LT. I picked up a stone in the belt and that required a new belt, reminding me why I liked shaft drive.

I moved back to a shaft with the Goldwing. It is the most comfortable of the three for both the rider and pillion. It loves long highways and surprisingly capable in the bends. The weight is all lowdown and it is simple to ride slowly. The 6-cylinder engine is super smooth with huge torque from low down. The only bike I've had that pulled better was a Triumph Rocket III 2300.

I now have a medical issue that prevents me from supporting the weight of any bike with a pillion when at standstill, so my two-up bike is a Goldwing trike and my fun rider-only bike is a K1200RS, which itself is top heavy but I can handle it and it's my current favourite ride.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts