BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently seen a rather large puff of smoke coming from around the engine area when I start the bike. It only happens when is has been sitting on the kickstand for several hours. When I have it parked on the center stand it is fine. It is a 2006 with close to 22k on it. It runs fine otherwise. I do not see any leakage anywhere either.

It happens immediately when the bike is started. The first time I thought great, I just fried some electrical wiring. Everything still works, and it has happened several time since.

Has anyone else seen this occur?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Nope Never........

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Check similar threads below. . . . not an issue. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Worry makes you age faster !! ;) We all been there done that. Stop the engine while in the vertical position and wait a few before letting it down on the side stand. Next start should be smoke free.

·
Registered
55 Posts
pcporter said:
I have recently seen a rather large puff of smoke coming from around the engine area when I start the bike. It only happens when is has been sitting on the kickstand for several hours. When I have it parked on the center stand it is fine. It is a 2006 with close to 22k on it. It runs fine otherwise. I do not see any leakage anywhere either.

It happens immediately when the bike is started. The first time I thought great, I just fried some electrical wiring. Everything still works, and it has happened several time since.

Howdo..

It's just one of the LT's little querky traits ;) mine does exactly the same on the sidestand but not on its main stand

PmC

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
Puffs of smoke on start up?
You must have bought a bike with a K engine! LOL
What were the BMW engineers thinking when they designed a bike engine with heads on the left side??? :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,596 Posts
pcporter said:

If the smoke comes out the exhaust, then nothing to worry about. But I am not sure how to interpret "around the engine area." Do you mean from around the engine itself from under the fairing? That would not be normal and would suggest that there is a leak in the valve cover or some other place that is letting oil get into the exhaust header and then burning off on start-up.

·
Registered
832 Posts
That's what I was going to say......

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine puffs too when I don't let the oil drain back into the pan for a few moments before leaning over on the left side kick stand. The first time or two I was also worried but now understand its just a little oil seeping by the pistons on the left side. If anything else, that little bit of oil provides some lubrication at the initial startup and stops the pistons from starting on dry cylinders. Who knows, maybe it was a design meant to provide a better protected start-up.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I was told that once by my riding buddy.
I have never actually seen the smoke but my pipe was covered in soot. Well I cleaned it and now I keep an eye on the exhaust after every ride and intend to nip it in the bud at the earliest sighting. I keep mine on the CS except for gasing up. I used the side stand a few times because of the wind. . .too windy. From all I have read on this forum a puff of smoke is not a big worry. Just keep that chrome shining.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
478 Posts
i might suggest if it is comeing from the engine area.you might want to check the exaust manifold flange nuts & with the lower body panel off you will be able to check for a valve cover leak also

·
Registered
607 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Puffs of smoke on start up?
You must have bought a bike with a K engine! LOL
What were the BMW engineers thinking when they designed a bike engine with heads on the left side??? :confused:

BMW can fix this by simply moving the sidestand to the right side. :dance:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've noticed this happens once in a while, especially if the bike has been sitting for a week or so or for longer periods on the stand stand. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Premium Member
7,596 Posts
hodgeman said:
Don't worry mine dose it to, From eating tham darn harlys got to shit something out.
You should not let your LT eat junk food. That is not a healthy diet. :rotf:

·
Registered
656 Posts
No worries she's just marking her territory

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was told it's a design feature to let your Harley riding buddies know you had started your bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts