BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to purchase used head sets and leads from ebay but need the ptt button for the phone . Question , is fitting a new ptt button from bmw a easy job .

regards numbnuts .

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hane,nt got it yet as dealer has got to get it from the fatherland . I have found 2 wires under the l/h handlebar cover so i presume the button wires connect to them .
regards numbnuts .

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
bikesnumbnuts said:
Hane,nt got it yet as dealer has got to get it from the fatherland . I have found 2 wires under the l/h handlebar cover so i presume the button wires connect to them .
regards numbnuts .
For my '03 comsystem (BC3) the lead for the ptt was under the stingray. If I recall correctly, it was a standard 6/8 pin connection, simular to the audio cords. the read however was a simple blade type connector. I thing on the newer models, they changed the connection, but If you are getting it from the stealer, it should be plug and play.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
bikesnumbnuts said:
regards numbnuts .
Yes, these are the right leads. However, even though I bought my PTT from the dealer (Chicago BMW), it wasn't quite plug-n-play as the blades on the wires were about 1/8" wide and the PTT had 1/4" terminals. So, I cut off the stock connectors on the wires and crimped on some 1/4" terminals and plugged them onto the switch. Not too big a deal, but not plug and play. Obviously, BMW changed the PTT switch at some point to one that uses wider terminals.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Voyager said:
Yes, these are the right leads. However, even though I bought my PTT from the dealer (Chicago BMW), it wasn't quite plug-n-play as the blades on the wires were about 1/8" wide and the PTT had 1/4" terminals. So, I cut off the stock connectors on the wires and crimped on some 1/4" terminals and plugged them onto the switch. Not too big a deal, but not plug and play. Obviously, BMW changed the PTT switch at some point to one that uses wider terminals.
Yes and no...Keep in mind that there are three different connection points. Two are usually under the HB covers and one under the stingray, if it has not been run to the bars. PTT, GPS and AAWD (Radar) You are going to have to post what comsystem you have or better yet update your profile signature to show it so we dont have to guess! :D

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
shoswell said:
Yes and no...Keep in mind that there are three different connection points. Two are usually under the HB covers and one under the stingray, if it has not been run to the bars. PTT, GPS and AAWD (Radar) You are going to have to post what comsystem you have or better yet update your profile signature to show it so we dont have to guess! :D
OK, I added a little more detail to my sig.

I was talking about the connection points at the left handlebar as my LT was prewired for both the CB and the GPS. However, the flat blade-style connectors on the wire taped to the handlebar were only about half the size of the corresponding male blades on the BMW PTT switch. I have pictures if anyone wants to see the difference.l

1 - 7 of 7 Posts