BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been mentioned more and more lately, in tv shows, on the news etc. I spend a fair amount of time at the V.A. and I see symptoms of it quite a bit. I am interested in finding out if there are members here who have experienced it and either have it under control or are being treated for it. I have been diagnosed with it and deal with it every day, some days are easy, some not, but we get through it. If you dont want to reply out right, send me a pm. I'd like to hear from you....

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My last serious bout with it occurred about 11 or 12 years ago. After I realized I hadn't slept for 3 day (nights), I recognized what was going on. Just that recognition was enough to stop it.
With respect to other "experiences", I take the attitude that many more have suffered much worse than me, then tell myself to quit whining and go about my business. Works so far.
Don't mean to sound callused, but that works for me.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Just a side comment. PTSD is not relegated to only military combat issues. It can happen with everyday tragic events with civilians. Like surviving a car or plane crash, murder of a close friend or family member, etc. So just don't look for it in a military environment.

Ultra LT

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I have/had PTSD from a multi-car pile up in a blizzard on Christmas eve of 1983. Although only two fatalities, they were horrific. Talking about it helped me. I still get images sometimes but it doesn't bother me like it did. I have a friend who was in the Marine detachment that took Kuwait City in Desert Storm. He still has bouts where he's greatly effected. Too tough to seek help, but it's cost him two marriages so far. Professionals can help you build coping skills so you can deal with the feelings. Making peace with what you experienced is key. You can't make sense of the senseless. Good luck with your journey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts