BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, not sure where to put this but I deal in IT-related things and I got a bulletin a couple days ago from Google saying Chrome needs to be updated asap, they discovered a Zero-Day liability in the code and it is already being found on the open range. This came in on a tech forum notice but since the notice is now public just FYI for anyone who may not frequent tech data. I posted info how to update your Chrome, probably not an issue on this forum, just an abundance of caution.

First, go to the dropdown menu in Chrome on the right (click the vertical ellipsis) and select Help|About Google Chrome. You could also type chrome://settings/help in the address bar if you prefer, which takes you to the same dialog box. (Chrome will check for an update if you aren't current)

This will tell you if you have the current version running or if there is an update available. To be safe from this zero-day exploit, make sure that it says you are running version 72.0.3626.121 (Official Build). If not, then Chrome should go and fetch the latest version and update your browser for you automatically.

Reactions: sailor

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Hey guys, not sure where to put this but I deal in IT-related things and I got a bulletin a couple days ago from Google saying Chrome needs to be updated asap, they discovered a Zero-Day liability in the code and it is already being found on the open range. This came in on a tech forum notice but since the notice is now public just FYI for anyone who may not frequent tech data. I posted info how to update your Chrome, probably not an issue on this forum, just an abundance of caution.

First, go to the dropdown menu in Chrome on the right (click the vertical ellipsis) and select Help|About Google Chrome. You could also type chrome://settings/help in the address bar if you prefer, which takes you to the same dialog box. (Chrome will check for an update if you aren't current)

This will tell you if you have the current version running or if there is an update available. To be safe from this zero-day exploit, make sure that it says you are running version 72.0.3626.121 (Official Build). If not, then Chrome should go and fetch the latest version and update your browser for you automatically.
Good thing I don’t use Chrome! :grin:

Reactions: Ricky Chuck

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don’t really trust any ‘Google’ related products / tech . I avoid any use I possibly can. I don’t even use ‘Google’ search engines at all. I am aware that they have hidden relationships with other sources we may use, which is fairly evident from the online retail market.

Their relationship with various gov departments are well known to many, esp if you have been in a position to observe those relationships and related technology. Some of it is valuable to the national defense and security of our nation, and some of it borders on private citizen, privacy and security concerns. Some refer to it as overreach ?

To close, I definitely do not object to tech practices, that help defend and protect our country and its citizens from the bad guys.

I do wish and expect, that my privacy and personal information should be protected and not dispensed in any way, especially for potential profit.

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hear both of you and approve. I'm a Firefox/Duck Duck Go guy myself for casual browsing, if I need to take more care or talk hobbies/politics I use Tor browser.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts