BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1999 BMW k1200 LT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,
First off I want to thank you all because I been reading through the forums a ton and would probably have run away from this bike if it wasn't for you all. Been only riding dirt bikes the past 8 years (KTM 300) so I was super exctied to pick up a 1999 K1200 LT from my uncle. It had 30,000 miles on the clock and was doing much more sitting than riding. I checked the bike over, and then rode it from north of Boston MA to the Adirondacks. Then down to CT where I live.

Amazing bike on the highway. Cruise control is a game changer for me. Bike started getting hot in traffic conditions. Also discovered the windscreen is adjustble, but the pin holding the left brcket was missing. I found bolt that fit as a temporary solution and it worked great.
Since getting it home I've been trying to tear it apart and check out what kind of shape its in. Found some things I need to work on:)

And this...

The mice did eat a couple wires but I've since patched them up.

I also flushed the coolant and brake fluid. Air filter and oil are good. I did the cannisterectomy, popped the air filter temp sensor off based on Kirks youtube videos. Also removed the radio, 6 disc cd changer, and antenna. Love the space now. I have some fuel quick disconnects on order and will install once they arrive.
Some things I need help figuring out
1. I want to improve the lighting. I found nice pdf chart on here for bulb sizes, but most of the webistes I search ask me me for car model numbers and I feel like I'm running in circles. Can someone with experience just point me to something that will work for this bike? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but I do want to be safe!
2. The right size rubber gasket that the plastic pops into was missing. Anyone know where I can source one?

3. Found this wire just hanging out ziptied to the bottom of my seat. Any ideas what is for?

It connects here

4. I want to add a usb charger, probably in the radio box space, but not sure where to pull the power from. I only want it on when the bike is on so I don't want to wire directly to the battery.
Also what have you guys used to line the box?
5. When I pulled the J-Pegz ( I think they are jpegz?) off I noticed 1 bolt was missing (the one that stops it from moving out too far, and 2 of them were slightly bent so they didn't come up smoothly. Any idea where I can source a replcement bolt. Their website doesn't list just the hardware.

Think thats it for now, thanks again for all the help!
Michael

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah, the forum is not friendly to photos hotlinked from your Google account. Even if I log in to Google then try to open one of your hot links in a new tab I get nothing. Better way to do it is to edit your post (three verticl buttons in the upper right) then delete the hotlinks, then use the "Insert Image" button--but this time drag and drop the pics you want. Don't be impatient after dragging and dropping--give the forum 10 or 20 seconds to upload each pic to the forum servers.

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
60 Posts

·
Registered
1999 BMW k1200 LT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the forum is not friendly to photos hotlinked from your Google account. Even if I log in to Google then try to open one of your hot links in a new tab I get nothing. Better way to do it is to edit your post (three verticl buttons in the upper right) then delete the hotlinks, then use the "Insert Image" button--but this time drag and drop the pics you want. Don't be impatient after dragging and dropping--give the forum 10 or 20 seconds to upload each pic to the forum servers.
Thanks I replaced the pictures per your instructions!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,122 Posts
That wire is for the front seat heat. Those bolts for the j-pegs are custom made. Maybe an e-mail to the web site could help?

Reactions: GMSMOKR

·
Registered
543 Posts
The bolt is called a shoulder bolt for obvious reasons, or at least that's what they are called here. You should be able to get one by going to a place that just deals in fasteners. They may need to order it in for you but it should be available. I use them quite a bit in some of the machinery I maintain.

·
Registered
1999 BMW k1200 LT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bolt is called a shoulder bolt for obvious reasons, or at least that's what they are called here. You should be able to get one by going to a place that just deals in fasteners. They may need to order it in for you but it should be available. I use them quite a bit in some of the machinery I maintain.
Thanks I'll try that option!

·
Registered
1999 BMW k1200 LT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That wire is for the front seat heat. Those bolts for the j-pegs are custom made. Maybe an e-mail to the web site could help?
Thanks I emailed them and I'm awaiting a reply. Also the seat heat makes sense in that the passenger seat has similar colored wires running to it, but my seat doesn't seem to have a heating mechanism that I can see???

·
Registered
1999 BMW k1200 LT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks thats super helpful. Just so I'm understanding you correctly:
1. the link to amazon for the headlights seems to come with two ballasts, 2 H7 headlights, and the wiring?
2. You only used one of the ballasts to power both the H7 bulb and the H3 bulb?
3. Did you take the existing wiring for the H3 bulb to tie it into the wiring that came with the ballast?
4. Based on a pdf someone posted here aren't both the bulbs high and low 55watt. Should I find a 55watt ballast kit?

Thanks!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,122 Posts
Each bulb will need a ballast so you should find a motorcycle kit where you can get one H7 and one H3. The 35 watt ballast will generate way more light than a 55 watt halogen bulb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Count me as another scared new first time owner as well. The 54 page owner's manual is enough to start with! Just bought a 2000 K1200LT with 33,000 miles that has sat in a garage for the last eight years, of course not prepped for storage in any way. I've ordered the Clymers, and downloaded the service and owner's manuals. Based on other projects I'm planning on changing out all fluids and filters, replacing tires, changing out bulbs, new battery, flushing the fuel system from top to bottom, hitting each cylinder with Marvel Mystery oil, and then seeing if perhaps it might start. Any pointers and guidance are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
321 Posts
You guys both need to make sure the original rubber brake lines have been replaced by braided steel. If not do that soon.

Reactions: djmellor

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Count me as another scared new first time owner as well. The 54 page owner's manual is enough to start with! Just bought a 2000 K1200LT with 33,000 miles that has sat in a garage for the last eight years, of course not prepped for storage in any way. I've ordered the Clymers, and downloaded the service and owner's manuals. Based on other projects I'm planning on changing out all fluids and filters, replacing tires, changing out bulbs, new battery, flushing the fuel system from top to bottom, hitting each cylinder with Marvel Mystery oil, and then seeing if perhaps it might start. Any pointers and guidance are greatly appreciated!
Congratulations! There is a really good chance you will need to replace the fuel pump... if your KLT has been sitting for any length of time. Good luck!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can see your pics now in Post #1. (y)

About the rubber grommet on Pic #2, I don't know the size but you can order one from any BMW dealer for around $6. Part no. 46 63 2 346 142.

On the lighting, you can do an HID conversion, or even an LED conversion if you want. But what a lot of us do is simply add a set of aux driving lights. Lots of good threads about this. Just do a search to see what the other guys have posted.

If you go to the top of the page you'll see a "Search Community" box. It actually works pretty well. Just be sure to check the option for "this forum" and not the entire site otherwise you'll be getting search results for bikes other than K12LT's. Also take note of the dates of the search result hits. A hit about lights from 2006 will probably not be as relevant as one from the past 5 years if you know what I mean.

The question about installing a USB socket connected to a switched source -- mine is a 2007 so I'm not sure if yours is set up the same, but mine has a power socket on the front left of the tail case right next to the intercom plug. It's a standard BMW socket and it's switched, unlike the two ports down below on the fairing which are unswitched. Anyway, you can plug in one of those "L" shaped USB dongles right there. Link -- www.amazon.com/Tecmate-Optimate-3300mA-Output-Charger/dp/B01GSCKJWC/ I like this style of dongle better than the ones that stick straight out because it stays in place better and is less likely to get whacked by something.

And BTW, those two lower ports, being unswitched, I use them for my battery tender. I plug my tender into one of these -- www.amazon.com/Powerlet-PAC-072-06-Straight-Battery-Charging/dp/B00O296R2K/ -- then right into the port.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Much appreciated and thanks so much for the guidance! I'm aware from my BMW car days that BMW parts prices are usually lofty versus similar quality aftermarket or OEM suppliers. I've got a great supplier in FCP Euro (shameless plug!) for the car but they don't carry bike parts. I hate to roll the dice on Amazon, so who would you recommend?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,122 Posts
I recommend Max BMW they have a great parts list, usually have the best stock on hand and send a bag of M & Ms with each order. Watch for 15 -20% off sales at Bob's BMW, Hermy's BMW and a few others.

Reactions: DRONE

·
Registered
1999 BMW k1200 LT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can see your pics now in Post #1. (y)

About the rubber grommet on Pic #2, I don't know the size but you can order one from any BMW dealer for around $6. Part no. 46 63 2 346 142.

On the lighting, you can do an HID conversion, or even an LED conversion if you want. But what a lot of us do is simply add a set of aux driving lights. Lots of good threads about this. Just do a search to see what the other guys have posted.

If you go to the top of the page you'll see a "Search Community" box. It actually works pretty well. Just be sure to check the option for "this forum" and not the entire site otherwise you'll be getting search results for bikes other than K12LT's. Also take note of the dates of the search result hits. A hit about lights from 2006 will probably not be as relevant as one from the past 5 years if you know what I mean.

The question about installing a USB socket connected to a switched source -- mine is a 2007 so I'm not sure if yours is set up the same, but mine has a power socket on the front left of the tail case right next to the intercom plug. It's a standard BMW socket and it's switched, unlike the two ports down below on the fairing which are unswitched. Anyway, you can plug in one of those "L" shaped USB dongles right there. Link -- www.amazon.com/Tecmate-Optimate-3300mA-Output-Charger/dp/B01GSCKJWC/ I like this style of dongle better than the ones that stick straight out because it stays in place better and is less likely to get whacked by something.

And BTW, those two lower ports, being unswitched, I use them for my battery tender. I plug my tender into one of these -- www.amazon.com/Powerlet-PAC-072-06-Straight-Battery-Charging/dp/B00O296R2K/ -- then right into the port.
Thanks, that's super helpful. I'll look into the aux driving lights.
Also the tips on how to search this bike...super helpful!
What do you mean by switched and I switched charging ports?
The previous owner gave me a battery tender but never installed the pig tails to the battery so I did that and ran it to the center stand lift handle area.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts