BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I can finally say it! After 3 years of saving, looking, wishing and wanting, I have FINALLY purchased my new 07 K1200LT.
I have been wanting this bike for a long, long time.
:dance:
I want to thank those of you who had suggested to me to wait and purchase a new model so that the warrenty would be there. I admit that it does give one a sense of relief knowing it is there.
I will have questions for you I'm sure.

Thanks again guys!
Nobu

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW TOY!!! You're gonna love it.

BTW. fill out yer profile so we knowz were ya are:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. It is a FANTASTIC bike. I did an ERC last week, first time on my 06 LT, when the Rider Coach gave me the sign to STOP NOW! both he and I were amazed how quick the beast came to a stop without the ABS even kicking in. It was the first time I had tried a panic stop.

·
Registered
70 Posts
nobunaga said:
Hey everyone!
I can finally say it! After 3 years of saving, looking, wishing and wanting, I have FINALLY purchased my new 07 K1200LT.
I have been wanting this bike for a long, long time.
:dance:
I want to thank those of you who had suggested to me to wait and purchase a new model so that the warrenty would be there. I admit that it does give one a sense of relief knowing it is there.
I will have questions for you I'm sure.

Thanks again guys!
Nobu
I had a 92 GSX 1100G suzuki & 98 H-D Fat Boy to end up buying a 06 leftover LT 1 month ago!!, only took me 15 years!!

and was the wait ever worth it!!

Congrats on the bike!!! and enjoy the ride, and as a newbie myself, I will have questions Im sure also.

this site and the guys are great, from what I have read, if you have a question about a bike and it cant be answered here, is it really a question??

Tom-n-Berta
<\\\><

·
Registered
225 Posts
Oh you got the comfy seat. I'm so jealous! Congrats~ dk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. The wife and i are very happy with our new ride.
Actually Seattle, we are thinking of trading out the comfort seats and going with the standards. Our sales guy told us that he personally didn't like them because he found that the extra plushness made them uncomfortable (I know that sounds stupid but...) and we are finding that it seems true. BUT... we don't have any time in the standard seats to know for sure.
Does anyone else have time into both style seats and can comment on this?
:confused:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Is it possible for you to try out the standard OEM seat, either through the dealer or maybe someone in your area would ride with you and swap bikes during a run? Seat comfort depends on the interaction of anatomy, weight, pain perception, and seat design, so being able to try out the options (if possible) before you switch is the best way to go. Oh, and I add my congrats on your terrific new ride and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Morning Dennis,

I had a chance to ride an 05 with the standard seat before I purchased my 07. I found the standard seat to be less comfortable than the soft touch seat for my anatomy. My wife feels the same way. she finds the soft touch seats good for 2- 3 hours before she feels the need to get off the bike for a break. I would suggest that you test ride the standard seats before you trade the soft touch ones out. Just my opinion.

Ken

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My thoughts also

I was thinking the same thing.
I would hate to trade them away and THEN find they were better than the standards. I will see if the dealer has a demo or used on the floor that we could take out for the afternoon or something.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Isn't it cool to know what you want and wait and then it's finally over, happy days are here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So glad i didn't settle

I came very close to settling for a Yamaha Star Venture.
I'm sure it's a great bike, but it's no LT now is it.
I'm very proud that i spent the extra money and did the right thing.
I would have NEVER been happy with the Venture. just like when i bought the VTX. I loved the bike but it wasn't my LT.

Now I have it - heeheehee :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
My SO loves her standard seat, but mine requires me to get up and stretch every hundred or so miles on longer rides. Many people have gone for after market seats and rave about them, most saying their favorite modification. That's true for most stock seats though. But hey, if you end up with the softer one and want to trade with my 06' just let me know! :D

I'm actually in the process or getting a Kontour setup for mine. :cool:

Enjoy. Fantastic bike. Word of advice, always respect the size and be very methodical when moving the bike. Try only to do it when you're seated on the bike because when she catches you off guard she can go down quickly. Almost caught me a couple times but I recovered. I'm 6'2" though and I love to ride the big girl. :bmw:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't want to drop her

I've heard a lot of warnings about dropping the bike. Scares me. :eek:
I learned a long time ago to not move my bikes from the side. Even my super light GSX has caught me off balance a few times. My sales guy told me he has even dropped on on the showroom when he accidently stepped on one of their carpet protectors and it slipped out. Yikes! :eek:
I've found myself all tightened up while riding the LT. I think it's this underlying fear of dropping it. I think that fear increases by a factor of bike cost ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't Worry About Dropping It

nobunaga said:
I've heard a lot of warnings about dropping the bike. Scares me. :eek:
I learned a long time ago to not move my bikes from the side. Even my super light GSX has caught me off balance a few times. My sales guy told me he has even dropped on on the showroom when he accidently stepped on one of their carpet protectors and it slipped out. Yikes! :eek:
I've found myself all tightened up while riding the LT. I think it's this underlying fear of dropping it. I think that fear increases by a factor of bike cost ;)
I have had my new LT for 7 weeks and have three drops. One of which was the demo bike in front of the dealer. The cost is minimal. I scuffed the rubber pad and scuffed the chrome strip on the side of the pannier. I don't intend to fix it because I assume at some point I will drop it again. I was really scared of dropping mine until I did. Now that it is no longer a virgin I don't worry about it. I have learned from each drop and my skill and confidence increase with every ride.

The biggest lesson I am learning is to think ahead of the bike. Don't put the bike in a potential drop situation in the first place. Size up and select the stopping point before you get to it. Is there good footing? Does the road slope away on either side? Is there room for the size turn my present skills allow me to make?

Since I have the powered center stand I use it a lot rather than the side stand. I'm not real comfortable yet trying to turn it while using reverse to back out of a parking place so I look for a pull through spot even if I have to walk a little farther. At home I park in a single garage stall at th top of a sloping driveway with cars in it. I don't feel comfortable yet in trying to back down the driveway slope with the cars so I turn it in the garage. The best accessory I have purchased to date is turntable that sits on the garage floor. I drive in. Center the centerstand over the turntable and hit the button. Bike comes up on the centerstand and I dismount. I grab the trunk rack and push down with a couple pounds of force to lift the front wheel and walk the bike around till it headed out the garage. Plug in the battery tender and I am done.

Bottom line is stick with and don't let the drop business bother you. I'm willing to bet at some point you will drop it but almost all of us have.

Bruce Buchner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts