BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching this and other forums looking for information on a couple of items. I will take delivery of a 2011 R1200RT in April and would like to have some accessories ready to be installed before my first ride.

1. Can anyone provide feedback on the need for old style engine guards (the kind made of tubular steel) versus the valve cover style of protectors? Not having owned a boxer before I'm interested in the need to protect the actual cylinders from damage in the event of a slow speed drop. Are the cylinders strong enough to survive a slow speed get off? Am I actually only needing to worry about protecting the valve covers from cosmetic damage?

2. What are people using to protect the headlight lense?

3. Will an automotive style oil filter wrench work on the new boxer engine? Is there enough room to get the "band" style of wrench on to the filter?

4. What are people using to protect the side bags?

5. Is a side stand footpad enlarger necessary? (the one on my old K1200RS isn't really large enough)

Thanks for any input related to the above.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Honcho - welcome to the forum. Your questions are all good ones, and I'd suggest that you search the forum to find the numerous threads that have discussed these topics.

But, to get you started, here are a couple of thoughts:

1. Can anyone provide feedback on the need for old style engine guards (the kind made of tubular steel) versus the valve cover style of protectors? Not having owned a boxer before I'm interested in the need to protect the actual cylinders from damage in the event of a slow speed drop. Are the cylinders strong enough to survive a slow speed get off? Am I actually only needing to worry about protecting the valve covers from cosmetic damage?

There's really two types of drops to think about - at speed, and the "driveway" drop. Case protectors (folks use Ztechnik, Wunderlich or Touratech) will help with both, although the design of the RT means that these things mount to the engine case with associated risk of damaging the case while saving the head covers. Head covers aren't much good if you drop it at speed, but do seem to work on the driveway drop. Lots of options out there from BMW and other aftermarket suppliers.

2. What are people using to protect the headlight lense?

Some people use aftermarket screens, some people use plastic film like Xpel . There was a thread on that back a couple of weeks ago.

3. Will an automotive style oil filter wrench work on the new boxer engine? Is there enough room to get the "band" style of wrench on to the filter?

I can't tell you about the 2011 for sure, but I don't think it's significantly different from my 2009. It requires a special wrench and you can't get a standard automotive band-type wrench on it.

4. What are people using to protect the side bags?

BMW makes a lower bag protector but mixed opinions whether it adds much in the event of a drop. Most of us end up getting the bags repainted (still on my to-do list).

5. Is a side stand footpad enlarger necessary? (the one on my old K1200RS isn't really large enough)

I haven't had any issues with my 2009, you folks with newer bikes want to chime in?

Let us see the pics when you get your new baby.

JayJay

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re No. 5: I keep a 3x3 inch piece of 1/4 inch plexiglas, to which I have adhered a piece of no-slip surface, in my tank bag. Both were scraps. I drilled a hole in one corner and tied a four foot piece of fishing line to it, which I just wrap around it for storage. I don't usually need it, but when I do it's easy to drop below the side-stand and retrieve when I get back on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys. Jay-Jay you have touched on my concern/question regarding tubular style engine guards - what exactly do they protect on the RT? If I risk damaging the engine cases to save damage to the valve covers I'm thinking I'd be better off with the valve cover guards, even for a higher speed get off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts