BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to riding, my 99 Shadow ACE and I just slayed the Dragon and I am thinking of upgrading to the K1200LT. I am not familiar with BMW bikes, although I love the looks.

Can anyone give me some advice on the good points and bad of this bike? Which years are more reliable than others etc?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
if you can afford a new 2005 that would be the way to go.
The upgrade HP on on the engine gives you a better rider.
If not, try to get late 2002 and up which seams to be less prop to rear end failure.
But in general, any year is a good one if it was well kept.
I had one '99 and now my '02 and both are great.
The wife loves to ride on it, so it makes the whole point selecting this bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1200Lt

I have had my Lt for 3 years now. I get still great the biggest kick when I pull into a gas station and have people come up to me to talk about my bike. At really slow speeds the bike is the worst handling bike I have had, BUT anything faster than 5-10 mph it handles great.

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Elton's advice about years is pretty accurate. There are some known weaknesses with the LT (as with any bike), but most of them have known fixes as well. Plus the folks here will gladly help you out with anything else that you may need.

If you have a short inseam then the LT can be a bit much to handle at slow speeds, but once moving it has an amazing combination of comfort, handling, and fun that few other bikes can match.

Read through the FAQ and the Hall of Wisdom for more detailed info, but remember that most of us would buy another LT immediately if our current LT was stolen or otherwise incapacitated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts