BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my new bike got 600 miles on her, I checked the oil level on the center stand and on level ground, hot engine after 5 min of waiting. The break-in oil was almost up to the second circle. Crystal clear too.

So I went to the BMW dealer and have the 600 mile service performed....Everything was checked-off and got going on my way. After gearing up and taking a trip of 400 miles, I checked the oil level and the oil was all the way up in the sight glass.....went by dealer and they told me it was alright, that the engine would burn it off while riding.

I was not too sure about that.....Now I have turned 2000 miles today and the oil level is still above the top circle.....What should I do?

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
When my new bike got 600 miles on her, I checked the oil level on the center stand and on level ground, hot engine after 5 min of waiting. The break-in oil was almost up to the second circle. Crystal clear too.

So I went to the BMW dealer and have the 600 mile service performed....Everything was checked-off and got going on my way. After gearing up and taking a trip of 400 miles, I checked the oil level and the oil was all the way up in the sight glass.....went by dealer and they told me it was alright, that the engine would burn it off while riding.

I was not too sure about that.....Now I have turned 2000 miles today and the oil level is still above the top circle.....What should I do?
You can leave it alone. The only consequent is that your gear change may be a little rough, in the low gears. What happened here is that your dealer, like all dealers, got a little lazy. The proper amount of oil to put in, for a full oil/filter change, is 3.8 liter (1 US gallon). The BMW oil comes in 1 liter bottles, and so the mechanic simply pour in 4 bottles! Mechanically, there is nothing wrong with this, but as I said, it seem that the extra amount of oil will cause your (wet) clutch to drag a little, and this is from personal experience as well as comments from others.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response.....Sorry I posted on the K1200LT site...Had one for 15 yrs so I guess I defaulted to this site. Did not mean to irritate anyone

·
Registered
191 Posts
No irritation at all. Had no way of know your background and just wanted you to know there are different forums for different bikes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Muchas gracias

1 - 6 of 6 Posts