BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

So on my '99' with 48K miles I have change the fluids in the Engine, Tranny, FD and brakes (very dark before, now nice and clean)

The clutch fluid is also very dark so I will be flushing this next. My question is should the clutch lever pull all the way to the grip or should it tighten up like the brake lever. I noticed if I 'pump' the lever it finaly comes up short and much like the brake lever does. Since I have your attention what is the part number for a speed bleeder nipple for the clutch grub screw?

As always thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
RamseyMS said:
Hi All,

So on my '99' with 48K miles I have change the fluids in the Engine, Tranny, FD and brakes (very dark before, now nice and clean)

The clutch fluid is also very dark do I will be flushing this next. My question is should the clutch lever pull all the way to the grip or should it tighten up like the brake lever. I noticed if I 'pump' the lever it finaly comes up short and much like the brake lever does. Since I have your attention what is the part number for a speed bleeder nipple for the clutch grub screw?

As always thanks guys!

Don't know the part number for the speed bleeder, and never can get em to work to great on the clutch anyway. I usually remove the end (ventilation screw and plug) from the end of the hose underneath the right side wing and just install a normal bleeder valve.

As for clutch pressure, the clutch will typically pull all the way until it touches the grip. Just make sure you get all the air out of the line and you'll be fine. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jack! Makes me feel better :). Do you happen to know any who stocks the shifter linkage ball joints? I waited for two weeks and received the wrongs ones (like 5 times too large :mad:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,256 Posts
The dealer. Chicago BMW still does a 20% discount (it just does not show up front at checkout)

07119901736 BALL PIN $3.29

Here is a bleed nipple that will fit the fill adapter (but you can gravity flush by removing the grub screw and hold the check valve ball back with a small nail).

34212330310 VENT SCREW (M10) - Up to 01/2001 $8.20

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
For what it is worth, in the BMW On magazine, December 2009, p. 28 there is an article discussing replacing the clutch slave cylinder. I was interested in this article since I am interested in drilling the weep hole for the clutch slave.

I noted in the article that the color of the clutch brake fluid could indicate that the clutch slave cylinder is failing. You may not have that problem but this article is worth reading since you mentioned that your brake fluid is very dark.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts