BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those fortunate enough to own one, we all know how well the LT loves the curves as evidenced by us all continually sharing the Kool-aid. The fact is most of our two wheeled friends just see us a a big cruiser that rides two up very comfortably; not a bike that can keep up with sport bikes in the curves. Granted, a sport bike ridden by a very experienced rider with little regard to his or her safety is much faster than the LT; but given a moderate pace with some civility, it can certainly hold its own.

A few weeks ago I rode with a group of friends up to Sewanee TN and enjoyed the leaves, sunshine and the roads in that part of TN. We had all kinds of bikes from Kawasaki sport bikes to HD and me and my better half on the lone LT. A friend of mine riding the Kawasaki took lead as he wanted to ride up and down the mountain a little more "aggressively". I told him OK that we would stay in the middle and the HD pull up the rear.

So, off he went flying up and down the mountain having a great ole time. To his surprise, I was with him when we reached the bottom of the mountain. We pulled over and waited for the rest of the pack. His first reaction was complimentary to my riding skills but I could hardly take the credit. This bike is an incredible handler, hands down.

For those that don't ride the LT but are reading this forum, this is an exceptionally handling motorcycle. It really is true. Its not a sport bike, but can hold its own even with two up during moderate riding in the curves.

It's not just hype. Become a believer by riding one yourself. The proof is in the "ride".

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Amen Brother! It's a better handling bike than I am a rider, let me be the first to admit. Doesn't mean I don't hope to grow into it someday!

Loren

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's right! And for anyone debating whether or not to get the LT over the GL, think about the handling you get out of the LT, it's second to none

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Yeah... Only downside is I burn through a lot of tires here in the CA Sierras! :D

Well, that; and my wife gets pissed off and jealous if I ride without her...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Amen Brother! It's a better handling bike than I am a rider, let me be the first to admit. Doesn't mean I don't hope to grow into it someday!

Loren
+1 The LT's handling and linked brakes have saved the day several times.
When asked how it rides, I like to say the LT has more ability than I have skill.

·
Registered
910 Posts
cfell said:
Especially like the Kool Aid dispenser.. =p
Aint the family grand?

ON our ride- (insert location here) its a blast...

Wild cherry please :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Guy's, I have been riding for thirty eight years and this is by far the do it all bike, except for GS type riding. I had the pleasure of taking a trip from Washington state to Tennessee and then back across the bottom of the states boader to AZ, then back up to Washington in three weeks. I can't say enough how much I love this bike for long trips and tight twisty roads.The bike now has 81k and counting and still performs like the day I drove it off the showroom floor at Ridewest BMW here in Seattle.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
questair1 said:
For those fortunate enough to own one, we all know how well the LT loves the curves as evidenced by us all continually sharing the Kool-aid. The fact is most of our two wheeled friends just see us a a big cruiser that rides two up very comfortably; not a bike that can keep up with sport bikes in the curves. Granted, a sport bike ridden by a very experienced rider with little regard to his or her safety is much faster than the LT; but given a moderate pace with some civility, it can certainly hold its own.

A few weeks ago I rode with a group of friends up to Sewanee TN and enjoyed the leaves, sunshine and the roads in that part of TN. We had all kinds of bikes from Kawasaki sport bikes to HD and me and my better half on the lone LT. A friend of mine riding the Kawasaki took lead as he wanted to ride up and down the mountain a little more "aggressively". I told him OK that we would stay in the middle and the HD pull up the rear.

So, off he went flying up and down the mountain having a great ole time. To his surprise, I was with him when we reached the bottom of the mountain. We pulled over and waited for the rest of the pack. His first reaction was complimentary to my riding skills but I could hardly take the credit. This bike is an incredible handler, hands down.

For those that don't ride the LT but are reading this forum, this is an exceptionally handling motorcycle. It really is true. Its not a sport bike, but can hold its own even with two up during moderate riding in the curves.

It's not just hype. Become a believer by riding one yourself. The proof is in the "ride".

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait until my hand heals so I can get back to riding. :) I've been missing the thrill since 10/28/2009. Maybe in an other week and the roads are clear I'll be back in the saddle. I rode the "Tail of the Dragon" last may and found I could almost keep up with the crotch rockets. The LT is for sure a better bike than I have the skill to handle :D

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I had my boot under the shifter the other day pre-loading it for my third gear shift and drug the pavement on a round-about. Yes, what a machine! :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Amen to all the above. I trust the bike more than I do myself. After a long absence from riding, I'm finally getting most all of my skills back. Will never ride on the edge like I used to though. Even two-up riding is easier on this thing than I thought it would be. SO learned very quickly to stay put. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
You bet, it's great. This past summer I rode with a group (about 8 bikes) in North Carolina. We found ourselves on a very tight, twisty mountain road with very tight switchbacks and I was up in the front of the pack. I scraped once or twice. I was the only female rider and the only LT. I later found out that some of the guys behind me had a hard time keeping up. One of them even commented to me about how well I handled the bike.

It's true. When you're in the curves, the bike seems to read your mind. It's like you only have to think about leaning and you're there.

Gotta love it! :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
BeemerBunny said:
It's true. When you're in the curves, the bike seems to read your mind. It's like you only have to think about leaning and you're there.

Gotta love it! :bmw:
Yeah, most of the time I want to do some serious counter-steering and come away with "that didn't take much!" Lots-o-fun and miles-o-smiles.

Jer

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
+1!! Then there was the time we were out on open road, 4 headlites approaching fast from the rear. Ducati passes doing 90 or so IN MY LANE! And we were coming up on some nice twisties. No idea what his buddies were like, and didn't want one of them taking us out in the twisties. So, just wicked up the LT and stayed with the Duc thru the twisties (him all the time turning around to see me still there). As soon as we exited the last turn, the Duc was gone. Then all his buddies approached, one at a time, and asked permission to pass. LOVED IT!!

Oh, yeah - W was on the back. Her comment, "He just doesn't understand, does he?"

·
Registered
353 Posts
That is why I bought mine. I spent 2 years test riding bikes and one ride on it I knew it was the 2 up bike for me. I am 5' 6' and love this bike while moving. Have to pay attention in the parking lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts