BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While surfing another car forum I came across a guy who was 'explanting' a Homelink transmitter out of one vehicle and 'implanting' it into another. Turns out that the brains of the system are very small and in most cases not integrated into the vehicle computers. My donor vehicles were a 2004 Lexus for the electronics and tan parts and a 94 Chrysler for the black parts. I discovered that the 94 electronics would not operate my garage door openers so had to go back and get a newer model. The tan Lexus was the only one I could find locally as most newer vehicles have the Homelink built into the rear view mirror.

The visor from the Chrysler

Rear view of the newer Homelink transmitter

Front view - Round holes for push buttons, square for LED

Inner view of the left side dash panel

Dash panel with location holes roughed in

Test fitting the cover plate

Wiring harness connected to transmitter

Because the buttons were installed over fabric on the visor, they were too short once installed in the dash. The black buttons were cut up and glued to the tan ones using Permatex Weatherstripping Adhesive.

Two sided tape was used to position the transmitter before the bracket was attached.

Bracket secured with SS hardware and plastic covers.

Wiring harness routed to upper dash area and connected to power and ground.

Tan button glued to dash after trimming black extensions to correct length.

Black cover plate glued in place.

Finished project!

Project costs:
Visor #1 - $20
Visor #2 - $20 (after a little wheeling and dealing). Asked for $35
Assorted hardware - less than $10

Time invested: about 1/2 a day
Difficulty rating: Moderate (after you drill the first hole in the dash, the rest get easier :) )

Art - aka Kartcon
Port Orange, Florida

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have my garage door opener on a key fob transmitter. $30.00 at Sears. No work cutting holes or wiring. Just a battery replacement after 5 years

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I got a controller from Lowe's HI and velcrowed it under the BMR shelf. About $30 and 2 min. labor.
I'd rather be riding!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Bravo!!!
Excellent job Art! And shame on anyone who doesn't applaud you for this project, and the fine job you've done posting the pics and details. Jeolousy is such an ugly thang!

I use one of these in the tankbag of my GT.

But now you have me wondering if I shouldn't take the time to "integrate it" a little better. :think:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to detail what you have done.

Best From Sunny Tucson
Bob, 00LT

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I love to see what others do, and I really like the very professional finished look of that work.

And the initiative to go find the stuff and make it work is way cool.

Very nicely done.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nice job, and a lot cheaper than buying the $150 motorcycle version from Mito (like I did!)

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,245 Posts
Art nice project but I just put one of my mini garage remotes in my oddment box and it works great.

I do love the corvette though :D

nice job!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Excellent project! Thanks for sharing it and for the professional explanation and images.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Awesome installation!

I keep my Genie clicker in a tank bag that Joe gave me. I just zip it open when it's time to leave or return, then zip it back up when on the road.

However, how cool would it be to just press the homelink button. Now I need to figure out where I would put something like that, and then figure out if there is room for it.

Nicely done.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes the Homelink units are great. I got one several years ago and put it on my Yamaha Venture. What I did was mount it inside the faring then run a wire from the headlight PASSING switch as my 12 volt source. You have to open up the unit and solder your 12 volt wire to the transmitter side of the switch or just jumper the switch and use the leads coming out of the Homelink unit. Either way is fine because there is no power to the unit until you press the passing light switch. Drive up to the garage press the Hi-Beam passing light once and your door opens. Press it again and your door closes. If you have your bike turned off the unit does not work for added security. If your car visor has a lighted mirror you can install one there too lol.
I have one to put on the LT but just really do not want to take all the tupperware loose to install that one farkle.

HD has had a unit out for several years that does the same thing only they wanted big money for it lol.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
"I got a controller from Lowe's HI and velcrowed it under the BMR shelf. About $30 and 2 min. labor.
I'd rather be riding!"

Ooooops! I didn't mean to come across as less than positive. It is a neat install.
I think I'll go for a ride,...... now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
messenger13 said:
Bravo!!!
Excellent job Art! And shame on anyone who doesn't applaud you for this project, and the fine job you've done posting the pics and details. Jeolousy is such an ugly thang!

I use one of these in the tankbag of my GT.

But now you have me wondering if I shouldn't take the time to "integrate it" a little better. :think:
Ditto here. but a great project for the Homelink!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Port Orange? You're right up the street! I'd like to see this in person sometime if possible. Gotta love farkles!

My question is: how weather proof is the Homelink? To my knowledge(cause I work part time at a garage door company) Homelinks are always inside the car.

We rode up to "The Loop" On Sunday. Had a great time!
Stopped at the place on the corner of Main St and A1A for some lunch, then home to watch the Super Bowl of motor sports the Daytona 500.
And I over looked the SWEET Vette in the pic also.
Hip

1 - 17 of 17 Posts