BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some insurance policy reviews for new property and the agent asked what else we had insured. I gave her the three bikes 05 LT, 00 C and the 98 RT. She came back with a $446.00 savings with Progressive over our current State Farm policy of $864. Now there are differences. State Farm is 50/100/50 and Progressive is 250/500/100. Both have $500 deductable and everything else matches up. This is in Illinois for the back ground and have been State Farm policy holders for 25 years.

Now the question is what are the pros and especially the cons of Progressive? It is hard to pass up a 52% savings.

·
Registered
468 Posts
mark1rob said:
I was doing some insurance policy reviews for new property and the agent asked what else we had insured. I gave her the three bikes 05 LT, 00 C and the 98 RT. She came back with a $446.00 savings with Progressive over our current State Farm policy of $864. Now there are differences. State Farm is 50/100/50 and Progressive is 250/500/100. Both have $500 deductable and everything else matches up. This is in Illinois for the back ground and have been State Farm policy holders for 25 years.

Now the question is what are the pros and especially the cons of Progressive? It is hard to pass up a 52% savings.
I've had good luck with Progressive. Roadside assistance was helpful twice for me, once getting some fuel between Fort Stockton and Van Horn, TX, and once towing me from between Fort Stockton and Van Horn to the Harley Dealer in San Antonio for a new tire. Me wife had a minor accident with her car and they were out the next day and settled quickly and fairly. I've had no cons, so far. I should probably stay away from Fort Stockton and Van Horn, though :(.

Dale White

Dale

·
Registered
277 Posts
My work recently added a $10,000 deductible for injuries suffered during motorcycle accidents. That's $10,000 per occurrence per person, they really don't want us riding.

I've had my insurance with State Farm for over 20 years, however, I needed to add medical payments to cover me in case of an accident due to the new work policy.
Unfortunately State Farm doesn't offer this feature. I switched to Progressive, they were easy to deal with when they were taking my money. I Hope I never find out how
they are to deal with my I'm trying to take theirs.

One nice feature they offer, coverage for farkles, $3000 comes standard, up to $10,000 if you are willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Overall experience with Progressive has been very Positive.

Rate started out substantially lower than all major carriers and over the years the premium has gone done every year which has been great (no claims/tickets).

IMO, one thing for sure to consider is Maxing Out your uninsured/under-insured coverages due to our current economic conditions which have been and continues to decline.

+1 on Progressive

08RT

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
mark1rob said:

That's shameful, considering your have been "Snake Farm" customers for 25 years! Progressive and their agent has always been very responsive. I've never used their road assistance because I've always had AAA Roadside.

Generally, for every insurance company, bar Wawanesa, you will hear both good and bad (horror) stories. I'm sure if Wawa was bigger, we'd get horror stories also. So, unless you've had a bad experience with Progressive, I'd say take da money and run. :)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,172 Posts
I was with Progressive for many years and got fed up with them as they kept raining my premiums even though I never had a claim, and as I pointed out that my leased car was worth over $40k when new but 5 years later it was only worth about $14k, yet they wanted more money.
When I asked why I was told it was "the cost of doing business i California" to which I answered fo guck yourselves and switched to Mercury where I now also have my homeowner's insurance.
It pays every couple of years to challenge the "authority" and shop around. Sad indeed that long time loyal customers take it in the behind! :mad:

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I have Liberty Mutual and am considering going to another company after 25 years. I had to argue with them to get a decent payoff for my totaled LT. Then I canceled my policy (effective 11/19 until the policy expires on 2/5) (with three months remaining) and they refunded me $32.00. I was expecting at least $150 and the insurance to be prorated but the one person said that since it is a motorcycle (get this) they do not expect people to ride all winter, that they only refund something like 2 percent of the policy. I have had motorcycle, auto, umbrella, and homeowners insurance with them. I am still fighting on this one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Progressive also has a disappearing deductible.It goes down every year you don't have a claim. After 5 years = 0 deductible.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I'm also in IL, which has a lot to do with premium costs. I also have had State Farm for well over 25 years and when they quoted me such a high cost I just figured they didn't want to insure motorcycles. I've been with Progressive going on my 5th year. I had, long story short, a $1000 claim with them in the first few weeks of LT ownership and all was paid. I did have to write up a letter about everything that occurred, but not that much of an issue since I had all the documentation. As a previous poster stated, there are benefits to being a customer over time. +1 for Progressive on both bikes that are each licenced and titled in different states at a cost of $218/yr.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Been with Progressive for my vehicles for about 5 years. Currently have 2 bikes and 2 cars. Their rates here in Florida may not be the lowest but they are competitive. A few years ago when I totaled my GS the service was great. I bought the bike used and had only owned the bike for two weeks when I crashed. They paid to have the bike transported to the dealer for the estimate, allowed me to strip all the non stock accessories and ended up paying me $700 more for the bike than I paid when I bought it. Plus they added in the state Sales Tax. No arguing or hassles nor did they raise my premium. I'm willing to pay a little extra for service like that.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
635 Posts
Progressive has been fine for me.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
My only complaint with Progressive is they have a limit on number of bikes on a policy (yeah, I know, not a problem for the non bike hoarder). As I recall it's 3 bikes, number 4 goes on a second policy for full price without the multi bike discount. Other than that they have been fine.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I was a very happy Progressive customer for many years ... about 20 years, I think. I had three claims with them, and they were MORE than fair. Loved em.

BUT! When I bought the Connie last year, I compared their rates to Allstate (been with them ALL of my adult life for everything else), Allstate beat their rates by a considerable margin. So now I'm with Allstate.

My rule: Don't fall in love with any of them. Shop price, so long as its apples to apples. And NEVER go with a high deductible. (I don't care what the experts say!) Accidents suck bad enough. Let alone having to dish out $500 or $1,000 bucks if/when it happens.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have progressive with 2 cars & my bike. Great service.

Since i haven't had any accidents on the bike, they dropped my deductible to ZERO!! Have full coverage to

Can't beat that!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
mark1rob said:
Flo remembers your birthday!

I was with Farmers since 1986, and they kept jacking up my house insurance, even in a declining market. I gave Progressive the house, 3 cars and 2 bikes in Nov 2009. Saving about $1,000 on the house and $200 on the bikes - autos were a push.

So far, my house premium increased about $25 annually.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
BUT! When I bought the Connie last year, I compared their rates to Allstate (been with them ALL of my adult life for everything else), Allstate beat their rates by a considerable margin. So now I'm with Allstate.
That's funny- I had the direct opposite experience with Allstate. I use Allstate for my 3 cars, life insurance and homeowners. When I wanted to add my motorcycle- they want over $1500. Progressive- $265 including $10 for towing.

I have a great relationship with my Agent. Even he said go with Progressive.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
I was a very happy Progressive customer for many years ... about 20 years, I think. I had three claims with them, and they were MORE than fair. Loved em.

My rule: Don't fall in love with any of them. Shop price, so long as its apples to apples. And NEVER go with a high deductible. (I don't care what the experts say!) Accidents suck bad enough. Let alone having to dish out $500 or $1,000 bucks if/when it happens.
Agreed, Joe. As much as I dislike Allsnake, if they have the best price by a considerable margin.....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Have had Progressive for 6 years no claims and no problems. It appears the your liability limits are much higher with Progressive (250-500-100) for less money? I haven't used Snake Farm in over 40 years since they screwed me on a theft claim and wouldn't settle up on a "Stated Amount Policy" that I was paying an increased premium for.

However, as was mentioned earlier, you gotta shop around, read the fine print, and ask lots of questions.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I filled out an application for Progressive to see what THE SAME policy would cost, compared to my State Farm ($845) one and the Progressives ($1,237) would cost about $400 more. The only difference is the $3,000 accessories inclusion of the Progressive one.

I have 3 vehicles and the house on State Farm so I'm sure a multiple discount applies. Every time I compare policies, I always save with my present policy. I've checked with All State and the same results, even combining policies.

Insurance in Florida is more expensive because, according to my agent and a close personal friend for the past 25 years, there is so much fraud. Another way that many insurance companies reduce their insurance costs in Florida is by not proposing Uninsured Motorist endorsement and Medical.

Great until you have a SERIOUS, catastrophic accident, in my opinion, the only reason for insurance. Using insurance for the little things, in my opinion defeats the intended purpose. I have a very high deductible, and self insure myself for the little things.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts