BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the yearly production numbers were for LT's?
It seems like out on the road we BMW owners are few and far between (in most instances), and the random sighting of a fellow LT pilot is even more of a rarity.
My wife brought this up the other day while we were on a short 6 hour trip. We only saw one other BMW, but she said 'throw a rock' and you will hit that 'other brand'.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would say that even though the "Other brand" falls pretty short of the sophistication and advanced engineering and design exhibited on the LT, I think BMW could learn a few very important lessons on marketing from the "other" company. I for one am glad that they haven't learned, because I was able to purchase my used LT for an extremely reasonable price, and enjoy the luxury and ride that I personally think is the best ever! I do feel bad for those riders that have taken it in the shorts on depreciation but I think that given there is no better bike for the purpose, why sell it anyway? The value is in the fact that you have it, and other people don't..... :bmw:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Keep in mind the US is only a very small part of a UK market.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The observation your wife made is the main reason I researched the LT in the first place! I have never been one to lust after what everyone else has. Nope! I want what they have only bigger and better! Around here you can't swing a dead cat without hitting 3 wingnuts and 2 Harley riders. Not saying anything bad about the others but it is very nice to have something different and in the case of our LT's something better and more mysterious!

Loren

·
Registered
929 Posts
wa1200lt said:
The observation your wife made is the main reason I researched the LT in the first place! I have never been one to lust after what everyone else has. Nope! I want what they have only bigger and better!

+1 on what Loren said--it's great being a bit different...now, that didn't come out right.:rotf:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I emailed BMW yesterday and asked the question about production figures for the Lt and they emailed me back today with 37,872 units (thats bikes ) produced between 1998 and 2009 .
regards numbnuts ..

·
Registered
36 Posts
That number is a lot lower than I would've guessed for global sales. Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
bikesnumbnuts said:
I emailed BMW yesterday and asked the question about production figures for the Lt and they emailed me back today with 37,872 units (thats bikes ) produced between 1998 and 2009 .
regards numbnuts ..
I am impressed that they responded at all let alone so quickly. Can you now ask them how many of those sold have lost a final drive in less than 50,000 miles? :)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Chris, the 37,872 unit production number is just for the LT's is this correct? This number is suprisingly low and explains in part the high cost of replacement parts. This amounts to only 3156 units per year!

38,000 units is about 6 hours of production for the GoldWing isn't it? Not saying bad just that I would bet Honda sells at least 20,000 GW's a year.

Simply amazing!

Loren

bikesnumbnuts said:
regards numbnuts ..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
wa1200lt said:
38,000 units is about 6 hours of production for the GoldWing isn't it? Not saying bad just that I would bet Honda sells at least 20,000 GW's a year.
I just read in several places that the GW was produced in the Marysville Ohio Motorcycle Plant from 1981 till 2009 with over 1,000,000 GoldWings coming out of the plant. That is over 35,000 GWs a year.

·
Registered
351 Posts
regards numbnuts ..
Just wondered who has got the last LT produced . Is it possible to find by using the frame numbers etc . ??

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just read in several places that the GW was produced in the Marysville Ohio Motorcycle Plant from 1981 till 2009 with over 1,000,000 GoldWings coming out of the plant. That is over 35,000 GWs a year.
There are a bunch of old ones still out on the road, but the 1500 Wings were probably the most reliable of the different size ranges. There are quite a few that went over 200k with no issues. A guy from Minnesota had over 400k on his with only normal maintenance. Oil and belt changes only. I like my ride better that when I had a Wing. I just wish I didn't have every issue known to the LT.

·
Registered
847 Posts
There are a bunch of old ones still out on the road, but the 1500 Wings were probably the most reliable of the different size ranges. There are quite a few that went over 200k with no issues. A guy from Minnesota had over 400k on his with only normal maintenance. Oil and belt changes only. I like my ride better that when I had a Wing. I just wish I didn't have every issue known to the LT.
I can see Marty with a GW in the near future than you will be to good for us will not want to meet at the Trestle Stop anymore:D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Still new to the LT having only owned mine since last year. But during my short riding season last year I lost count the numbers of thumbs up I received and a host of double takes. Past HD's and had them speed up to take a closer look and occasionally got a nod of appreciation. The only thing I wish to change is that horrible stock seat. Nice to know I am one of the 37872. So let's drink to that. :toast:

·
Registered
137 Posts
The observation your wife made is the main reason I researched the LT in the first place! I have never been one to lust after what everyone else has. Nope! I want what they have only bigger and better! Around here you can't swing a dead cat without hitting 3 wingnuts and 2 Harley riders. Not saying anything bad about the others but it is very nice to have something different and in the case of our LT's something better and more mysterious!

Loren
+1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts