BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of unexpected events during my first oil change:

when taking off the plate that accesses the oil filter - I didn't expect to see oil leaking once the three bolts were taken off (before touching the oil filter). Looks like this is normal. Can one of you confirm this.

also - the tech manual suggests that the new filter should be screwed on untiil hand tight and then turned with socket 1/4 turn. Fact is that it was tight from the moment that I tried to put the new one on (and take the old one off). Not sure why it required so much pressure to turn the filter on the threaded tube. I started to question if the right filter was being used - got it from the dealer - was also the same problem with the one I took off. Thoughts?

Thanks guys. Paul

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Yes, the oil filter runs immersed in oil. Good reason to be sure its clean, no stickers, etc. Explains the oil you got when you removed the cover plate.

Not sure about "tight" in removing or installing the oil filter. Once pressure exerted by the oil filter gasket is gone, it should spin easily. Both off and on.

Important that the old oil filter gasket comes out of there, not good to try to run it with 2 gaskets in there, usually results in loss of oil pressure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Gunny. That helps with the leaking plate. Just not sure about the filter being tight right from the beginning. I guess the next time I take the filter off I will look at the threads on the engine to see if they are worn down. Thanks for the quick reply

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
The filter sits in the oil sump. I usually loosen the two frontmost bolts on the oil filter cover and then loosen the third to get to oil flowing from the front of the cover. More controlled that way. So that is confirmed.
I would take a close look at the threads of the used oil filter to make sure they aren't stripped. My filters seem to go on/off fairly easily. If I notice some resistance, I tend to back things out and try again until it feels right. Where did the filter come from? Beemerboneyard has a packaged oil change kit that has been proven correct for the LT.
Except for the hydraulic centerstand, thisprocedure explains everything.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Jer. Between you and Gunny I feel certain now that I have a problem with the filter and/or threads on shaft that it screws on. Thanks a bunch. Paul

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Paul,
Regarding filter changes, I also pre-fill the new filter with oil before putting it on. That eliminates that short period of no lubrication at start up before the new filter is pumped with oil. It probably doesn't make a big difference, but it makes me feel better. :D

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Most of us quit using the drain plug... Just drain thru the oil filter cover...Saves a washer and fooling with the plug...You get a better drain thru the cover anyway...

And yes the rubber gasket is the only thing that should cause the filter not to spin with your fingers... Make sure the old gasket came off with your old filter... Two gaskets is a no-no..
Good way to kill your engine....

If some previous ham handed, knuckle brained, (well you get the idea) has bunged up the threads you may need to chase them with the appropriate die....

John

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Sounds like someone messed up an oil change before you got in there. I haven't done my first change as yet but I have read many of these posts and know what to expect. My uncle was a carpenter and he said "measure twice cut once" simply read first and then perform whatever. None of us need to learn the expensive way. Hope no damage done.
ride safe :bmw:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts