BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 02 K1200LTC and found some problems I have listed in the BMW service bulletins. Like rear brake noise, throttle Action Stiff, delayed throttle response. Can I get these problems fixed at a BMW dealer?

Doug
Cincinnati, Ohio

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Many of the service bulletins were advisory in nature and had expiration dates. The brake squeel, for example, was only authorized if the customer complained and he did it before x date. I complained before the date and before the SB. And then never got around to taking it back to the shop after the SB. I've still got the squeeling breaks. Damn.

·
Registered
137 Posts
your ecu should be the new more modern version. the throttle cables are about 400 dollars and the rear disk is expensive. I thought all this was fixed in 2002 and that 2001 was the last problem year

·
Registered
272 Posts
stiff cable replacement, Fuel line O-ring, etc

I bought a used 2002 and none of that was taken care of. I don't know why, maybe the other owner just like to ride and not service the bike.

I have a few months left on warranty and BMW took care of my service bulletin problems (stiff cable replacement, Fuel line O-ring, etc) for free.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Doug,
A lot of the problems you're lookin' at are repairable yourself. The new brake pads BMW is selling have anti-squeal pads & are quiet. The new throttle cable kit is a little over $200 at my local dealer & 20% off from Chicago BMW. The delayed throttle response is usually free to fix by cutting the infamous "brown wire". The Hall Of Wisdom has the answers to all these problems & more. A little time there will fix most problems with the LT, save you arguing with a dealer, & cost a lot less.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Yes, you can. Some of these changes the dealer will make regardless of whether the waranty is still in place or not. Talk to your dealer about them; I'm sure he can take care of you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
stiff throttle

The stiff throttle can also cause your cruise control to stop working. I got tired of taking it to the dealer, so I got a cable luber (clamps to cable) and lubed the cables. Much improved and my cruise always works. Get a throttle rocker too, it's cheap and relieves forearm stress.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
damenke said:
I just bought a 02 K1200LTC and found some problems I have listed in the BMW service bulletins. Like rear brake noise, throttle Action Stiff, delayed throttle response. Can I get these problems fixed at a BMW dealer?

Doug
Cincinnati, Ohio
A good dealer who cares about his customers will take care of these things. A poor dealer will blow you off. Which kind do you have?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I checked to archives of the old web site and under "dealer experiences", many have had excellent results with BMW Tristate right in your home town. http://www.bmwtristate.com/
If you do not feel up to a DIY, give them a try...you can always say "no thanks".

·
Registered
855 Posts
g_laskie said:
The stiff throttle can also cause your cruise control to stop working. I got tired of taking it to the dealer, so I got a cable luber (clamps to cable) and lubed the cables. Much improved and my cruise always works. Get a throttle rocker too, it's cheap and relieves forearm stress.
The prevailing wisdom claims that you shouldn't lube the cables on the LT. With that in mind, I'd be interested in your experience. How old is your bike? How long ago did you lube the cables (time & milage)? Be interesting to find that the story from the dealers isn't entirely accurate.............

·
Registered
435 Posts
Stiff Cables

Just returned from the dealer this A.M. Dealer (Wilkes-Bare, Pa.) told me that the recall on the throttle cable expired in Dec 03, replacement would be on my nickle.

Have others lubricated the cables? graphite? silicone? what is best without gumming them up?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Jinks said:
The prevailing wisdom claims that you shouldn't lube the cables on the LT. With that in mind, I'd be interested in your experience. How old is your bike? How long ago did you lube the cables (time & milage)? Be interesting to find that the story from the dealers isn't entirely accurate.............

FWIW, YMMV, and all the other disclaimers.
I used some spray can "stuff" that says it's throttle cable lube for snowmobiles, and general purpose lubricant. (The company that sold it is long defunct. I've had it for probably 25 yrs.) Did the oiling 2 years ago, re-oiled last year,and again last week. Results were good and no problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stiff throttlle action

They say you shouldn't lube the cable, but what good is it if your throttle is too stiff? I was told by the service manager that I should try it anyway. My throttle was so stiff that the twist grip would slide off the end. The throttle is smoother and the cruise works flawlessly. My grip got so worn I had to epoxy it on. I used Slick 50 in the airosol can and the cable luber (found at motorcycle dealers). It's sure beats a stiff throttle.

·
Registered
538 Posts
ksailor said:
Just returned from the dealer this A.M. Dealer (Wilkes-Bare, Pa.) told me that the recall on the throttle cable expired in Dec 03, replacement would be on my nickle.

Have others lubricated the cables? graphite? silicone? what is best without gumming them up?
If your going to lube the cables I would use some DRY TEFLON spray. You can get it at most auto stores. Some on this site have used it successfully.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Dman said:
FWIW, YMMV, and all the other disclaimers.
I used some spray can "stuff" that says it's throttle cable lube for snowmobiles, and general purpose lubricant. (The company that sold it is long defunct. I've had it for probably 25 yrs.) Did the oiling 2 years ago, re-oiled last year,and again last week. Results were good and no problems.
Interesting! I guess next tupperware removal I'll have to take a close look at the cables. I've been planing to buy the new version, but should probably take a look at the existing ones first........... Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
My dealer blew me off about the brakes. I fixxed that with the EBC pads. I had to insist that the cables be replaced. I showed them how the return springs would not even work. This was when Venture BMW held the keys. Since then, there have been 2 different owners. #1,, Elmo's BMW, (the name says it all) replaced my fogged up windshield. #2, Bogarts BMW, has been good to me so far. They replaced my radio display or whatever (fogged up) and have taken care of any other recalls. Recently the brake inspection.

Jimmy

Edited to correct a couple of spelling issues and also to add more details.

·
Registered
975 Posts
ksailor said:

I had the same issue with my '02 - and had the cables replaced earlier this year under warranty (even though the bike was past the initial 3-year factory).

What saved me was:
  • The dealer fought the issue
  • I had complained (and it was noted in my record) that the throttles were stiff while the bike was still under the 3-year factory
Sooooo.... If you have this issue documented with your dealer AND your dealer is willing to fight - I believe you could probably get these replaced at no cost - YMMV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
throttle cable stiffness

Now that I lube my throttle cable, It snaps back from any position. I feel BMW uses a return spring that is too strong to help compensate for cable drag. I know mine would work with less tension and would reduce forearm fatigue, anybody agree?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts