BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Or, to make life even easier...... why not just hook to the battery and coil up the wire under the seat? Pop the seat when not riding and connect the trickle charger. Is there any issue with doing that? Obviously, the other installations all have their unique benefits, I just don't have time for a major project right now....

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Hi Woody! I installed the plug in the left rear saddlebag area for trickle charging, and for accessory charging off the battery while on the road. I did not drill any holes. I removed "1" in the photo below... the pillion seat. Then, I loosened the torx screw to slide the wiring under the plastic panel. No big deal. I have not had an issue with water.

Steering part Steering wheel Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim

I also added a waterproof on/off switch under the front seat. I hope this helps.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car Automotive design

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I also added a waterproof on/off switch under the front seat. I hope this helps.
I'm curious, why the on\off switch? In case you left something plugged in on the box and didn't want to drain the battery?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Ok, if you want a house built or custom cabinetry made or you're in a rapid Afib and need to be converted or in Vfib and a code run to save your life I'm you're guy, but this mechanical stuff...... not so much.

I put the multimeter and test light on the charging\trickle port with no reading\no light. I turned the bike on and still no reading nor light.
The top dash 12v outlet is on a switch. Even when the bike is not running I can turn that switch on and the plug is operational
View attachment 176707
When I remove what appears to be F1 according to the manual (right hand box in picture which is a 10amp fuse) the 12v dash box still works.
View attachment 176708

According to the manual this is supposed to be for the two power outlets. The fuse looks fine

When investigating removing the bottom fairing to access the charging\trickle port according to this video I have to remove the whole left side outer plastics....
Is this true?

So to circumvent that, I investigated installing a new lead to the battery (even I can do that). My questions are:
1. Can I do this carefully enough as not to interrupt the power from the battery so that I don't have to have some special tool to reset the bike because of power loss? (I read that somewhere that that has to be done with a special tool from the dealer)
2. As per a post above, someone put the charging end of the line through the back side saddlebag. Because of water infiltration, is there a specific place that that needs to be drilled? Do I have to remove the side plastics or the saddlebag to do that (sounds like a major project).
3. If I hang the end out by the seat it will probably get chaffed by the virbration of the seat against the plastics and become an issue. Can I somehow run it down and out the side plastics somewhere without removing the whole side plastics?

Before I dive head on into this I want to try and alleviate as much undue stress and aggrivationa s possible given all the other projects I have going on simultaneously since I never thought I'd have som much difficulty just charging my bike for the winter.

Any insight greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Woody
You don't need any special tools to reset the bike if you disconnect the battery. I have done it a bunch of times. About all you will need to do is reset your dash clock and of course you will lose your trip meter reading.

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi Woody! I installed the plug in the left rear saddlebag area for trickle charging, and for accessory charging off the battery while on the road. I did not drill any holes. I removed "1" in the photo below... the pillion seat. Then, I loosened the torx screw to slide the wiring under the plastic panel. No big deal. I have not had an issue with water.
So the last question becomes... When you hooked up your charging cable to the battery, did you do it in a way that you didn't lose power to the bike? I've read somewhere where if the bike loses power that it has to be reset with a special tool from the dealer. Is this correct?

Also on your installation, it seems as though the charging line is pretty much sitting in the void of the side box and not actually in the saddlebag itself. I'm deciphering that correctly?

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You don't need any special tools to reset the bike if you disconnect the battery. I have done it a bunch of times. About all you will need to do is reset your dash clock and of course you will lose your trip meter reading.
Fantastic, then I think this is do-able! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Personally I would be trying to reinstate the power to the existing power outlets. All the infrastructure is already there, you just need to trace the circuit. It could be the plug behind the outlet it's self. It still could be the fuse. These bikes have so many plug connections and I have found that cleaning some of these connections can do wonders. If you havent removed the lower fairing yet you might also find that the plug has just come off the back of the outlet. If you havent removed the plastic on your bike yet it's nothing to be worried about, it's actually quite easy. My main piece of advise is that when putting it all back on to go easy on doing up the screws. The rubber well nuts .

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Personally I would be trying to reinstate the power to the existing power outlets. All the infrastructure is already there, you just need to trace the circuit. It could be the plug behind the outlet it's self. It still could be the fuse. These bikes have so many plug connections and I have found that cleaning some of these connections can do wonders. If you havent removed the lower fairing yet you might also find that the plug has just come off the back of the outlet. If you havent removed the plastic on your bike yet it's nothing to be worried about, it's actually quite easy. My main piece of advise is that when putting it all back on to go easy on doing up the screws. The rubber well nuts .
Wazza - all excellent points, though he is trying to circumvent the issue by not removing Tupperware. ;)

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
So the last question becomes... When you hooked up your charging cable to the battery, did you do it in a way that you didn't lose power to the bike? I've read somewhere where if the bike loses power that it has to be reset with a special tool from the dealer. Is this correct?

Also on your installation, it seems as though the charging line is pretty much sitting in the void of the side box and not actually in the saddlebag itself. I'm deciphering that correctly?
Hi Woody - As for unplugging the battery, I have not had an issue after replacing the battery in the past. I did not have to take my bike to the dealer for any resets.
Also, I just tuck the plug behind the seat release pull when I am not using it to keep it out of the way. When I plug in the adaptor for USB charging... the adaptors have plenty of lead line to them to connect to whatever sitting on top of the tools in the saddlebag main area. I did not want to have extra wiring sitting around I have to tuck in every time I open the saddlebag.
And, I already have plenty of wiring with front and rear cameras, auxiliary lighting front and rear, and other farkles. ;)

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If you havent removed the lower fairing yet you might also find that the plug has just come off the back of the outlet.
Ok so after installing the new power feed to the back box (all went very well, thanks for the guidance! And I have another power feed if needed) I dropped a socket under the bike. I got my light down there and finally located the bugger tucked right behind the front tire. Lo and behold as I looked up to get my old creaky body out of the confounded position between the bike and the shelving I saw a hole......
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering part Hood

Right behnd the charging\trickle socket (HHHmmmmmmm...). I put my fingers in there and lo and behold... the plug was off the back of the socket! Now either vibration or my mechanic when he put my bike back together didn't put that on, but here we were.... Do you know how hard it is to try and plug that socket back in in that little space with three fingers????!!!! Twenty minutes later, very sore fingers, and lots of words I don't normally say around my kids......
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Bicycle fork

Electricity Gadget Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas

I'm still mumbling a lot of words I don't normally say........

I do have to say there was not a lot of play on that line and I'm wondering if when the mechanic put it back together he didn't leave enough slack and it's caught up against something else under the plastics.....

Either way, it works!

And by the way, my new back box power supply works well too!

Thanks everyone!
Woody

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Also, I just tuck the plug behind the seat release pull when I am not using it to keep it out of the way.
Yes, I mirrored exactly what you did and it worked very well! Mine does the same. Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Yes, I mirrored exactly what you did and it worked very well! Mine does the same. Thanks so much!
Great! I am glad it all worked out! It is always good to have an extra plug to use... down the road. You are welcome!

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Great! I am glad it all worked out! It is always good to have an extra plug to use... down the road. You are welcome!
Hi Woody-I just rolled over your avatar and noticed Pequannock, NJ. Is that near Riverdale? I grew up in River Vale in Bergen County, and everyone outside Bergen County asked me if I meant Riverdale. I moved to southern California four decades ago so I could comfortably ride year round. A skidoo suit over my leathers with HippoHands on the handlebars was just crazy! Cheers! Small world.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,156 Posts
If you found a 10 amp you were in the wrong fuse box. It should be a 15 amp. There was an error in some of the user maintenance manuals that were later corrected. If the 15 amp looks good try to move the windshield, if it moves then you have a wiring issue. If it doesn't move the 15 amp fuse is bad.

I just realized I did not see all the posts and you resolved the issue. Still the manual update is handy to have.
Motor vehicle Font Automotive design Automotive lighting Auto part

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi Woody-I just rolled over your avatar and noticed Pequannock, NJ. Is that near Riverdale? I grew up in River Vale in Bergen County, and everyone outside Bergen County asked me if I meant Riverdale. I moved to southern California four decades ago so I could comfortably ride year round. A skidoo suit over my leathers with HippoHands on the handlebars was just crazy! Cheers! Small world.
Yup, right next door! And yes I've done the same thing looking at Craig's List ads and thinking I'm committing to something five minutes away in Riverdale or Montville and finding out it's in Rivervale or Montvale. I absolutely get the warm weather thing too, I'm going into withdrawal more so because of the ice on the road vs the cold-weather stopping me from riding. Sometimes I prefer the cold weather to the warm weather as I can always put more on, but I'm not a short sleeves and shorts riding on a bike type of guy. Small world, take a ride for me!!

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If you found a 10 amp you were in the wrong fuse box. It should be a 15 amp. There was an error in some of the user maintenance manuals that were later corrected. If the 15 amp looks good try to move the windshield, if it moves then you have a wiring issue. If it doesn't move the 15 amp fuse is bad.
Ahhhhhh, this is the problem, my manual says that the boxes are swapped. And I have a 2001 so I have a manual windshield. I'm guessing newer models have the electric shield. I wish I did. My Beemer and my old Connie had those and are they great! Thanks for the update

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Ahhhhhh, this is the problem, my manual says that the boxes are swapped. And I have a 2001 so I have a manual windshield. I'm guessing newer models have the electric shield. I wish I did. My Beemer and my old Connie had those and are they great! Thanks for the update
Hi Woody... I am perplexed.
My '00 has an electric windscreen... hmmm.
Don't you have this control button on your handlebars which operates the windscreen?!!
Reflex camera Digital camera Camera lens Digital SLR Automotive design

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all model years had electric windshield. Are you sure you don't?

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hi Woody... I am perplexed.
My '00 has an electric windscreen... hmmm.
Don't you have this control button on your handlebars which operates the windscreen?!!
Bob, please forgive me, I was in too many conversations simultaneously last night both on the Beemer and Wing sites about two totally separate scenarios and got my sites and answers mixed up (happens to us old folks). Yes, my K1200 does have the mechanical windscreen, it's my 2001 Wing that doesn't that I wish did. Thanks for catching me, now you know what my wife goes through.... (LOL!)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts