BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Went to plug the trickle charger into the bike today in the 12 volt adapter by the shift lever and the charger wouldn't register that the bike was there. The charger works fine on other bikes. Before I start ripping apart everything to find the issue, can the 12 volt adapter go bad? I'm guessing it might be an inline fuse. Is there an inline fuse or would this be hooked up to a fuse in a fuse box? Is this a common problem? Just trying to get some input before I drive myself crazy trying to figure this out with things that might not be a problem or not checking things that might be obviously the problem that I didn't think of. I've never had this problem before with any other bike, or this bike previously.

Thanks,
Woody

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,167 Posts
If you have one of the BMW plugs that go in that socket, they have two tiny screws that hole the wire and can work loose. The barrel unscrews to get access to these screws. I have to fix mine every couple of years or so.

Reactions: byekryam and kbob12

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Do you have something you can plug into it like a work light or air compressor. Failing that I would use a milti meter. You can get corrosion in the plug, they aren't really water tight. Have you tried the one down by the brake pedal? There is usually one up on the top box as well.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Hi Woody! Sorry to hear you are having issues with charging your ride.
We are talking about this adaptor, correct?
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Grey Automotive lighting

Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design Steering part

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will check this today and see what I find. Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. In the past I've used it without issue but then again that was a year ago. I'll keep you updated

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Good luck with a fix! My bike is plugged in 24/7 when not on the road.

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok update. Pulled the plug apart and all attached properly, can't plug anything into the socket by the shifter as it's only made for the trickle charger plug. No other charger by the brake pedal. The upper 12v plug working properly. I looked into the plug by the shifter and it looks corroded. I ran some steel wool in there and cleaned it up a bit but still no good. How hard is it to change this bottom trickle charger adapter? Or should I look for blown fuses somewhere>
Plumbing valve Gas Motor vehicle Machine Suspension

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,167 Posts
Just remove the lower tupperware and it unplugs from the harness and a nut unscrews from the back side. If you ran steel wool in there you likely blew the fuse. F1, 15 Amp

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I was thinking that was a possible outcome but while I was doing it I believed I would have seen some smoke, a spark, anything to indicate that the steel wool make a connection but I didn't see anything. This is why I'm thinking that it was blown before I did what I did. I'll pull all that apart and post an update. Thanks

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Well, I was thinking that was a possible outcome but while I was doing it I believed I would have seen some smoke, a spark, anything to indicate that the steel wool make a connection but I didn't see anything. This is why I'm thinking that it was blown before I did what I did. I'll pull all that apart and post an update. Thanks
Do you own a multi meter. That's the best way to check the circuit.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Or just put a pig tail on your battery and go direct. Keeps it easy..
That is my preference also since most maintainers come with an SAE plug.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Yeah... it is easy enough to tap the battery directly. I ran a pig tail to the left rear saddle bag so I can connect the trickle charger, or charge other accessories in the saddle bag while riding.

Grey Bag Luggage and bags Automotive design Personal luxury car

Simple tap off the battery... for charging accessories while riding, or trickle charging the battery when parked.

Natural material Metal Tail Terrestrial animal Soil

Quick disconnect can plug into the BMW style connector, or the SAE connector which comes with most chargers.

Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Rim Vehicle door

SAE option for the right side opposite the BMW style plug on the left side. There is accessory wiring behind the
lower panel to power the SAE plug.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah... it is easy enough to tap the battery directly. I ran a pig tail to the left rear saddle bag so I can connect the trickle charger, or charge other accessories in the saddle bag while riding.

View attachment 176687
Simple tap off the battery... for charging accessories while riding, or trickle charging the battery when parked.

View attachment 176688
Quick disconnect can plug into the BMW style connector, or the SAE connector which comes with most chargers.

View attachment 176689
SAE option for the right side opposite the BMW style plug on the left side. There is accessory wiring behind the
lower panel to power the SAE plug.
Where did you obtain that socket with the cover?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, if you want a house built or custom cabinetry made or you're in a rapid Afib and need to be converted or in Vfib and a code run to save your life I'm you're guy, but this mechanical stuff...... not so much.

I put the multimeter and test light on the charging\trickle port with no reading\no light. I turned the bike on and still no reading nor light.
The top dash 12v outlet is on a switch. Even when the bike is not running I can turn that switch on and the plug is operational
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

When I remove what appears to be F1 according to the manual (right hand box in picture which is a 10amp fuse) the 12v dash box still works.
Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

According to the manual this is supposed to be for the two power outlets. The fuse looks fine

When investigating removing the bottom fairing to access the charging\trickle port according to this video I have to remove the whole left side outer plastics....
Is this true?

So to circumvent that, I investigated installing a new lead to the battery (even I can do that). My questions are:
1. Can I do this carefully enough as not to interrupt the power from the battery so that I don't have to have some special tool to reset the bike because of power loss? (I read that somewhere that that has to be done with a special tool from the dealer)
2. As per a post above, someone put the charging end of the line through the back side saddlebag. Because of water infiltration, is there a specific place that that needs to be drilled? Do I have to remove the side plastics or the saddlebag to do that (sounds like a major project).
3. If I hang the end out by the seat it will probably get chaffed by the virbration of the seat against the plastics and become an issue. Can I somehow run it down and out the side plastics somewhere without removing the whole side plastics?

Before I dive head on into this I want to try and alleviate as much undue stress and aggrivationa s possible given all the other projects I have going on simultaneously since I never thought I'd have som much difficulty just charging my bike for the winter.

Any insight greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Woody

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How did you run it into the saddlebag? Drilling?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts