BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I have what I believe the BC3 com system (PN 99 99 0 000 210) with the cassette player on my 99 LT. Yesterday evening while riding the sound kept being interrupted every 2 or 3 minutes and finally stopped. I will investigate more what the cause could be. I am thinking possibly the microphone switch being activated randomly or due to vibrations. I could not check if the mike worked since I did not have a mike connected yesterday.
In the meantime I am also looking at the possible options I have if the com system is faulty and needs to be replaced. My first question is can I replace the BC3 by a Voice 2 system? Would the connections to the factory radio and current BC3 wiring to helmets (din plugs, etc...) still work?
Another option would be to take the opportunity to move to a new and more modern adaptable com system. In this case I would keep the factory radio for when I want to hear through the speakers (that still works fine) but use a separate system for communication and music thought helmets. If I go that route I would go for a com system that would enable at least 2 aux in (Sat Radio and MP3) and a phone connection.
I welcome any suggestion or idea
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If you have another headset and cord....try that first. Connectors on the upper and lower wires are normally the problem with the system.

Also try the radio through the speakers and eliminate the radio from being the problem

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Sometimes the least little oxidation will prevent good electrical contact. Just giggling the connection might restore the circuit.

You can try inserting the plug a few times to scrape any oxidation off.

Bob

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I had a similar issue at times. I would get sound out of one helmet speaker or sometimes none. Then it would go away. I tracked it down to a shorted or bare wire behind the driver's plug up on the fairing. It was right behind the wind deflector and at times moving the deflector is how I found it. J&M actually makes the replacement pug with a length of wire that I could've replaced it with but we went Bluetooth instead. If I recall the part from J&M was less than $40.00. They're right about the lower cord suggestion too. My wife would go through one a year it seemed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
HOPEFULLY this thread isn't dead...
I recently hooked up my JM headsets to my system (99 K1200LT w/cassette). Through the headsets, Radio; no problem front or back. CB can hear fine front and back. I plug in rider set first. toggle switch up on unit. then plug in passenger; can hear them talk and they can hear me for about 10 seconds, then nothing! Radio and stuff still comes through, however we are unable to re-establish voice comm without unpluging one of the units and replugging. Cables appear to be fine otherwise.

Any help will be appreciated.

T.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.