BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 LT and I am trying to remove the tupperware on the lest side so I can unplug my seat heater. The problem I am having is I have removed all of the screws from the black rubbing strip and removed it and all 3 screws from the finishing cover. I am trying to pull it off and it seems to have a tab towards the front that is under the side panel. I have tryed squeezing it to see if it will come loose but wont seem to clear. I am afraid I will break it if I am doing something wrong. The service manual doesn't help on this one.

Please help

·
Registered
538 Posts
Should be able to compress the plastic alittle to get it to clear the colored tupperware. Also make sure it is clearing the rubber where the screw from the black guard screws in.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
ferggie said:
I have an 06 LT and I am trying to remove the tupperware on the lest side so I can unplug my seat heater. The problem I am having is I have removed all of the screws from the black rubbing strip and removed it and all 3 screws from the finishing cover. I am trying to pull it off and it seems to have a tab towards the front that is under the side panel. I have tryed squeezing it to see if it will come loose but wont seem to clear. I am afraid I will break it if I am doing something wrong. The service manual doesn't help on this one.
Please help
This is what can be done without the left fairing complete removal.

If you open the oddments box Stingray cover you will remove the cover and screws. Pretty obvious. The piece between the seat and cover slides off exposing more screws. Take a few of the left side screws off and the fairing can be held slightly opened (I used a tennis ball to keep it open).

You then can see the black wire ties holding the plug wire in place. I use long needle nose pliers to cut/break the ties. The plug itself slides onto a "keeper". Re-route the wire and you will not have to go through the aggravation again. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
To add to Joe's suggestion..

Seat up, OBox open..
once the two screws are removed from the center panel cover, it has two small tabs underneath to hold that side down.. they are about halfway down the length from the oddments box to the seat. Remove screws, lift bow end slightly, slide aft while you GENTLY lift.. should pop up and you can lift clear...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Did you remove the screw under the winglet (after removing the mirror and the winglet)? Did you remove the screws behind the turn signal?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
My tab broke off years ago - don't worry about it. The thing that keeps the chrome part from coming off is the clip nuts and the crash bar interfere. Don't squeeze it but rather expand it over the crash bar and she should come loose. Swing it out from the rear and that should relieve the front tab.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help

I would like to thank everyone for there input. It sounds like there are some short cuts to do what I did but what the heck it was good practice for the next time when I want or need to strip her down. I managed to get it all off and back on again. It took some work and there are several aditional screws that need to be removed that are not shown in the manual I have. The 06 is different then the one in the manual, it must be for an 05 or eailier and not the 06. Oh well I guess I will have that up for sale soon.
Ferg

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
If you mean the Clymer manual, yes they left out some screws. The bikes are the same.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Service manual

It was the BMW service manual that I just bought.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Well maybe they did change some thing. I thought the CD was pretty complete although by the time I had bought it I had already removed the tupperware thanks to help received here on this site and attended a few tech sessions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no big deal

I am sure there are going to be things different but it did help alot as a starting point. I just had to keep looking and figured it out. You guys on this site are the biggest help of all. I don't mind starting into a project with the manual knowing if I get stuck that are a great group of people here to help me out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
ferggie said:
I don't mind starting into a project with the manual knowing if I get stuck that are a great group of people here to help me out.
That will be my plan once the warranty is off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts