BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '85 K100 RT with about 98,000 miles on it. When cruising at 60 mph or above a get an intermitant hesitation almost like someone shut the fuel off. It will only last for a few seconds with a number of jerking and bumping and then quit. I might go for a hundred miles or so with no problems, then it will start again then quit might go 25 miles start again then quit. Then no problems againg for another 100 miles or so. Change fuel filter, fuel, once replaced engine coolant temp. sensor and that solved the problem for about 1500 miles or so then it started againso dealer did some fine tuning,on injectors fuel mixture, etc. still no good so replaced coolant temp. sensor again and did well for about 500 miles or so!!!!!!!!! Help anyone found a solution to this problem or advise would be greatly appreciated....Phil

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If a changed coolant temperature sensor solved the issue temporarily, I would look closely at that electrical circuit. Possibly you have an intermittent connection which was temporarily resolved by the replacement of the sensor. Also take a look at where that sensor grounds if it is a single wire unit. Take an ohms reading between the sensor base and the negative battery terminal. Make sure not to use any thread locker on any ground lug or other electrical connection such as the sensor threads.

·
Registered
261 Posts
you'd be well advised to check your hall effect sensor -- i.e. the ignition trigger -- and the associated wiring and connections.

this could be the first signs of a failure - which almost always manifests itself as an open when hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses, I will have the mechanic at the dealership check these items out. Phil

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check the ignition switch, it can cause intermittent engine shutdown. They can be removed, disassembled and cleaned. Make sure you have a clean work surface so you can capture any small bits that try to run away. 25 years of service can leave an accumulation of resistance causing crud.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi there.

My 1983 base K100 was doing something very similar sounding to that very recently. It ended up being the fuel pump about to let go in a big way.

Good luck.

Paul Harrington
Australia

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Problem is you don't know what is failing...

Are you losing fuel ? or Spark ? Maybe figure a way to test the spark when it quits..

Also sounds to me like the hall effect sensor...( Ignition trigger )

They get hot and go open and the engine stops.. Cool off and go again..

Sometimes the ignition coil will do the same thing...

Good Luck finding the issue...

John..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope I'm not jumping in too late, but I had the same symptoms on a '95 K1100LT. It would run fine until I got on the freeway. Then it would cut out every so often for a second. Made me a little nervous. Turned out to be an intermittent fuel pump relay. Replaced it with one from a spare K100 and the problem has never returned.

I hope this helps.

Patrick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts