BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help i cleaned my abs unit on my 2000 k1200lt today. Everything went good and i have started bleeding the system. Back brakes are working great but my front brakes aren't. Brake lever is hard as a rock but no fluid coming out when Iopen the bleeders and the brake lever will not go down.

I am stumped

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is correct. I can bleed the abs unit front, but when I try to bleed the front brakes like on a normal bike nothing happens

·
Registered
438 Posts
In my industry, when troubleshooting a problem, it's wise to go back to the last place that someone had their hands in.
Know what I mean?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Does the bike still have the grub screw fittings on the front calipers? If so the problem may be in your bleeder screw. It needs to depress the detent ball and still have clearance for the fluid to escape. If you're getting nothing at all (not even a drip) at the caliper, this is what I would suspect. If that's not it, I suspect you reassembled the ABS unit wrong.

If I recall correctly, the ABS unit on a 2000 has a pressure sensitive bypass in the ABS which allows normal function with the ignition in the off position. That's where I would be looking.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,138 Posts
There is nothing to prevent fluid flow in the early ABS as it is a pass through with volume modification for the ABS function. Could be a collapsed hose. But only one of the front calipers has the fill valve the other has a conventional bleed nipple. Try the one with the regular bleed nipple and open it fully.

I just re-read your post you said you "cleaned the ABS". Do you mean you opened up the piston chambers? If so you may have not seated one or more of the components correctly back in the chamber.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was the problem one was not seated properly. I reopened the front and the piston dropped into place.

Thanks everyone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts