BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a used 2011 R120 RT at my local dealer. Looks like it has the audio package, esa and a large trunk. They are asking $18500 for it, is that a decent price. Tried to NADA the bike, but it wouldn't let me list the options. Dealer says NADA is $19000.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Reality is that supply and demand dictate prices. I know, here in TX, a 2011 RT with ESA, Radio, Cruise, Heated seats and grips and 5,000 miles sold for $16,000. It didn't have the ASC or the BMW trunk. The BMW trunk is over-priced and there are cheaper alternatives out there.
I hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News (July 2012) shows a base 2011 RT at $14,845 nationwide (sourced through NADA). NADA.com says about $16,685.

IMHO, $19,000 is a bit too high. Of course, you don't specify the number of miles on the bike, but MAX BMW has a 2011 RT with low suspension and 2,571 miles for $18,990. You might be able to get a brand new 2011 leftover at that price from competitive dealers.

HTH,
 

·
Cat Herder
Joined
·
1,636 Posts
$18,500 out the door with the over priced $1000 trunk box is standard dealer price. But you are in Alaska so you will give a higher price no matter what.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
A month ago I paid $16,000 for a 2011 with 1200 miles on it.
It had every option except radio and top case.
I bought it at a BMW dealership in KY.

I live in Canada so I kind of needed to buy at a dealership so that I could get a recall clearance letter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
AKTerry said:
Thinking about buying a used 2011 R120 RT at my local dealer. Looks like it has the audio package, esa and a large trunk. They are asking $18500 for it, is that a decent price. Tried to NADA the bike, but it wouldn't let me list the options. Dealer says NADA is $19000.
That's too high in my opinion. For one thing, where it's true the top box is a high dollar accessory - it's also true that BMW ran a promotion to move the 2011s that included a free trunk with the purchase.

A similar promotion is the one that is either still going on - of just ended - where BMW gives you a free BMW Navigator GPS with the purchase of a new GS.

Where the value of the trunk remains the same, it's highly unlikely the dealer gave the original owner credit for the trunk - remember, it's an accessory - but is trying to get full value for it.

What that really means is - the dealer should have some serious wiggle room on the sale that they can adjust to sell it and still make a reasonable profit to keep their doors open. If you like the bike - see what you can negotiate them down to and buy it if it's reasonable. Being in AK is where you need to base your pricing on it - not places where they're readily available - unless you want to travel to get one.

Regardless where you find one - they're good bikes - you just have to decide what you're willing to pay. Supply and demand - not too many available in AK.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,765 Posts
You can always haggle. I did. I bought my 2009 RT as a leftover with the trunk for 17 and change. I like BMWs trunk as it was already color matched, fits the lines of the bike and seems to be well made. It's also air tight. :) A local guy got a K1600GT and put a Givi on it and it looks like crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
I think the 18.5 is maybe a tiny bit high but in the right ballpark considering it's in Alaska and there aren't too many BMW dealers within your reach, so not much competition.

At Pandora Motorsports in Tenn, (they couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating) I traded the K1300S I won in the BMW Superstakes for a loaded 2011 RT with the remainder factory warranty, the BMW color matched trunk, audio, ESA, ASC and some smaller items like barbacks, cylinder guards, hiway pegs. Picking it up later this week and I'm paying 17,995 and am very happy (of course). Maybe offer them 17.9 and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,765 Posts
George_S said:
I think the 18.5 is maybe a tiny bit high but in the right ballpark considering it's in Alaska and there aren't too many BMW dealers within your reach, so not much competition.

At Pandora Motorsports in Tenn, (they couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating) I traded the K1300S I won in the BMW Superstakes for a loaded 2011 RT with the remainder factory warranty, the BMW color matched trunk, audio, ESA, ASC and some smaller items like barbacks, cylinder guards, hiway pegs. Picking it up later this week and I'm paying 17,995 and am very happy (of course). Maybe offer them 17.9 and see what happens.
I hope you got a good trade in deal as you'll have to pay taxes on the full value of the K bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
Nope. Just sales tax on the difference. I got trade in value of the full price that BMWMOA paid for the K13.

I will receive a 1099 though for the K13 price for income taxes, if that's what you mean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,765 Posts
George_S said:
Nope. Just sales tax on the difference. I got trade in value of the full price that BMWMOA paid for the K13.

I will receive a 1099 though for the K13 price for income taxes, if that's what you mean.
I'm not talking about sales tax, but taxes owed to the IRS as you would if you won on Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune, so yes, I am talking about income taxes.

I won one of the gift cards the year before... $100 was too steep this year and kept me out of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
Both BMWMOA and Pandora were quite thorough and very pleasant in explaining the details of the win, and that's been over the phone before I show up there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
They told me 10 out of the 12 winners are switching bikes from what they won to something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
That's probably at least 2k too high.

One way to get a good idea is to add the trade-in value to the retail value and divide by 2.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/trade-in/2011/bmw/r1200rt-abs/361258/

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/2011/bmw/r1200rt-abs/361258/

I almost bought a similar bike last spring and it was down to 17.5k or so.

But since it was my first bike, the graybeards on this forum talked me into getting an F800 to start, which was probably the best thing for me. But I'm still aspiring.

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,765 Posts
George_S said:
They told me 10 out of the 12 winners are switching bikes from what they won to something else.
Wow, that's a fairly high rate. I wonder if anyone thought of trading with another winner? 10 out of 12 is something else. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the newer bike. Is it a demo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
Ponch said:
Wow, that's a fairly high rate. I wonder if anyone thought of trading with another winner? 10 out of 12 is something else. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the newer bike. Is it a demo?
I did think about trying to contact the RT winner but saw he wasn't an MOA member.
We wouldn't really know how to contact each other. I don't know if winners would want their contact info posted, or even given to other winners.

The RT I chose has 9K miles and 18+ months still on the warranty. The bike was sold and serviced at Pandora. Those details give me some reassurance. Like I mentioned, with that and the the extra options, I feel it's a fair price. Thanks for the good wishes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Bartleby said:
That's probably at least 2k too high.

One way to get a good idea is to add the trade-in value to the retail value and divide by 2.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/trade-in/2011/bmw/r1200rt-abs/361258/

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/2011/bmw/r1200rt-abs/361258/
That's only for coming up with a starting private party sale price since KBB doesn't have private party motorcycle values. The retail values on KBB are more inline with what you should expect from a dealer. They have overhead to take into consideration. Private party sellers do not.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top