BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to test to see if the pressure regulator is working properly? The bike will not start and I checked the fuel pump is is working . Does not have any fuel on the plugs when i try to start it they are dry! Nice spray from the quick disconnect when first turning it on!

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Most likely either the fuel line came apart from the filter or the fuel line is split. Some have been able to see the fuel moving around when they turn on the key and look inside the tank. The best thing is to just pull the pump out and take a look at it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mtrevelino said:
Most likely either the fuel line came apart from the filter or the fuel line is split. Some have been able to see the fuel moving around when they turn on the key and look inside the tank. The best thing is to just pull the pump out and take a look at it.
I pulled the fuel pump to check and went ahead and replaced the hoses since we were in there so thats not it ...also double checked it.I found on another post that the pump can put out pressure but maybe not enough for the injectors. I ordered a new fuel pump I found on ebay that I had seen on a post here. I also found a good used fuel rail and plan on replacing the fuel regulator. When I start the engine and then pull the plugs i am not getting any fuel on them. so I hope that cures my problem. someone suggested the throttle valve actuator? I pulled it and turned the key on and it did have a very slight movement. But this wouldn't keep me from getting any fuel to the plugs would it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C-A-D said:
Perhaps the problem is on a Motronic-side? It controls the injectors. Do you feel them "tick" while cranking the engine?
This all started while at the dealership and they had it hooked up to the computer. would it have thrown a code if the motronic was bad?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
deanwoolsey said:
I am confused. You sent your bike to the dealership and it came back not running? More info please.
sorry I was focusing more on the problem than the cause. I took the bike to the dealership to have some service done they did valve adjustment, brake flush,clutch flush and fuel filter replacement. the service manager came to me and said the bike was idling funny and not staying started and asked me if that was the way it was before bringing it in I told them no that it was running fine all it needed was service done. They concluded that there was a vent hose that was pinched underneath the tank and everything was running fine so after loading the bike on the trailer I decided to start it and it would not start. So I had them come out and they'd removed the fuel tank replaced the hoses inside the tank put it back on the bike started the bike the bike did run but not as it should it was getting late in the evening I live 100 miles from the dealership so I asked them what they thought it might be. They said it could be the throttle valve actuator. I asked if they had one in stock.. they said no.so I told them I would contact them next week to see about an appointment to have it replaced. I Asked around and found out that they are idiots and that the dealership in Jacksonville Florida is better.unfortunately that is 200 miles away. So I'm trying to troubleshoot this myself. I have a ride coming up in four weeks.and I really don't feel like driving and spending a day in a dealership! that's why I'm coming to you guys.do I think it's a strange coincidence this happened at the dealership? yes! But right now i feel it would be more advantageous to solve this in my garage. Flushing the brakes and valve adjustment was beyond my expertise. That's why it took it to them. Now I feel like they should not be touching my bike.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Rarely in my experience would a problem just "pop up" while the bike's being serviced at the dealership. Most likely they have done something to the bike. Could be something as simple as switching the vent hoses on the evap system when they reinstalled the tank. If your quick connects are both pointing the same direction, make sure they are not switched. Then check the two vent lines to be sure they are properly connected and not pinched under the tank. Oh yea, make sure they left you some fresh gas in the tank. Could be you have contamination in there from the service.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
deanwoolsey said:
Rarely in my experience would a problem just "pop up" while the bike's being serviced at the dealership. Most likely they have done something to the bike. Could be something as simple as switching the vent hoses on the evap system when they reinstalled the tank. If your quick connects are both pointing the same direction, make sure they are not switched. Then check the two vent lines to be sure they are properly connected and not pinched under the tank. Oh yea, make sure they left you some fresh gas in the tank. Could be you have contamination in there from the service.
QD are on opposite sides so that's not the problem i have moved the gas tank back to make sure the vent hoses are not kinked.. i checked the spark plugs when starting they are dry so i am not getting fuel to them. i did check the QD when starting and it is spraying out fuel but maybe not hard enough so i bought a new pump (its on the way) and also found a good used fuel rail that i am going to remove the fuel pressure valve and put on my fuel rail. The mechanic said when he checked the computer for any codes the bike had put up a throttle valve actuator code but could not get it to come back up when he reset it.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
mtntamer said:
QD are on opposite sides so that's not the problem i have moved the gas tank back to make sure the vent hoses are not kinked.. i checked the spark plugs when starting they are dry so i am not getting fuel to them. i did check the QD when starting and it is spraying out fuel but maybe not hard enough so i bought a new pump (its on the way) and also found a good used fuel rail that i am going to remove the fuel pressure valve and put on my fuel rail. The mechanic said when he checked the computer for any codes the bike had put up a throttle valve actuator code but could not get it to come back up when he reset it.

I troubleshoot for a living. Always go back to the last thing done. The dealer screwed something up. They will not own up to it, one more reason my bikes never see a dealer, (long story). Always go back to the K.I.S.S. principle. there is something small that everyone that has looked at the bike has missed. See if you have a list member close to you for a fresh set of eyes. Seeing from a fresh perspective is always helpful. Wish I was closer.

Robert

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If you can get your hands on a single set of QDs and a gauge it's pretty simple to make a fuel rail tester. Just install the gauge between the QDs and then put the assembly inline on the supply side. You should see about 51 PSI. I suppose your induction coil may not be working and causing the injectors to not fire, but I would like to think they would not manage to damage that wiring just doing the valves..........

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,068 Posts
Also since the fuel filter was changed the clamps could be a bit loose allowing fuel under pressure to leak back into the tank. I had one in two weeks ago with a no start issue and when I pressureized the pump out of the tank fuel sprayed around the hose at the top of the fuel filter. Tightened the clamp and no more spray. Bike ran fine after that.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
As one who also troubleshot for a living I can assure you that Robert speaks the truth here! It doesn't matter whether it was the dealer or yourself, always look wherever hands were last on the machine! Almost always it will be something that was overlooked, left off, connected incorrectly, etc.

To simply start changing parts out in hopes of fixing the problem is something we referred to as "Shot Gunning" in the troubleshooting world!

Good Luck,
John
Scouter-50 said:
I troubleshoot for a living. Always go back to the last thing done. The dealer screwed something up. They will not own up to it, one more reason my bikes never see a dealer, (long story). Always go back to the K.I.S.S. principle. there is something small that everyone that has looked at the bike has missed. See if you have a list member close to you for a fresh set of eyes. Seeing from a fresh perspective is always helpful. Wish I was closer.

Robert

·
Registered
476 Posts
Follow the Zeiler is my advice. I would strongly suspect that something is loose in the gas tank as John suggests, or maybe they put the fuel filter on backwards when they put in the new hoses. Does it kick if you spray engine start ino the intake? $5 can will tell you whether it's fuel or electrical. If it fires on spraying engine start, then it's definitely a gas prob. If it does not fire, it's electrical.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rowie said:
Follow the Zeiler is my advice. I would strongly suspect that something is loose in the gas tank as John suggests, or maybe they put the fuel filter on backwards when they put in the new hoses. Does it kick if you spray engine start ino the intake? $5 can will tell you whether it's fuel or electrical. If it fires on spraying engine start, then it's definitely a gas prob. If it does not fire, it's electrical.

Hope this helps.
Would I spray it in the very front of the air intake? I tried wd40 and it didn't fire.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I tend to agree with all said from systematical root cause analysis earlier. And the probability of something having been done @ the dealers. I would also dive in to the tank to see everything being in order there.

Just one question: While you had spark-plugs off (to see them being dry) - did you check spark during cranking?

Seppo

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
C-A-D said:
I tend to agree with all said from systematical root cause analysis earlier. And the probability of something having been done @ the dealers. I would also dive in to the tank to see everything being in order there.

Just one question: While you had spark-plugs off (to see them being dry) - did you check spark during cranking?

Seppo
I did check the spark. Although I had never done it before and was not sure what to really look for i did see spark but it was very slight!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
mtntamer said:
Would I spray it in the very front of the air intake? I tried wd40 and it didn't fire.
WD40 will not do it, get a can of ether starter fluid, spray it into the intake horn. If it wants to start you know you have spark but not fuel.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts