BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Preparation service advice for trip

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  blueknightga6 
#1 ·
I'm preparing to ride my 03 K1200lt approximately 1500 miles round trip from West Palm Beach FL to the Blue Ridge Mountains in GA. My new bike was serviced with brake fluid change, oil change, new tires and basics before I purchased it. It was idle for 1 year. Since then I have put in a new battery and checked all fluids before riding it 500 miles. Now I am trying to prepare it for a 1500 mile round trip from FL to GA and back. What services would you recommend considering the 1 year down time and an odometer of 18,800 miles. Thanks kindly for the help.

#3 ·
One year is not all that long, however I would change the oil anyway. It is not just use that degrades oil, but time sitting. It can get moisture and junk in it. Oil change is cheap (DIY) and is a "do no harm" kind of thing.
Other than that just check it over real well, loose nuts, bolts, parts, etc. Brake lines, tires for signs of cracks, tire pressure and if you haven't done it yet, ride that old gas out of it.

Reactions: Patric
#5 ·
Brake lines can't hurt from what I have read. Oil change is also a must and expected to see that but thankful for the advice. I was concerned about any long lived wisdom that would be triggered concerning the LT and the experience you all have had . Most of you have had an LT from brand new crate assembly and many have had multiple ones. I love this bike and it's lines. Now that I am able to, the future will put some greatly needed miles on i5. Thanks to you with responses and also to those who may still respond!

#6 ·
1++ on the Oil Change and I'd be sure to check the tires for any cracks or things in them. Then I'd air them up to 42 front and 48 rear and check them every couple of days. Just have a great time and be safe.

#7 ·
In addition to what the others have said, I would recommend doing a service on the shifter linkage. I had the unfortunate experience of it coming apart on my in Indianapolis earlier this year, including checking joint lubes and tightness. :bmw:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.